Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Some time ago I reported on a visit to the Benedictine monastery of St. Ottilien, near Munich.
The present abbey was founded in 1898 by Cassian Spiß to missionize the - at that time non-Christian - population of Ungoni(Ruvuma Region). In 1931 Peramiho became a territorial abbey and thus the centre of the Benedictine mission in the southwest of today's Tanzania.
I asked the archivist of the monastery to pick out some hunting photos from the old days and he was kind enough to do so.
I would like to thank brother David for this (the address of a monk is brother, I did not know if this also applies to "civilians", but they did not hold it against me).
For all those interested in the history of this country, the monastery is a treasure trove of the first order.
I got the permission to take these pictures here and maybe one or the other of you will enjoy them as much as I did.

View attachment 368521

two old warriors.
Maneater (lions and leopards) were a permanent problem, once they did not eat people, they robbed the station's cattle.

View attachment 368522

The back of the photos is full of anger and fright against the lions

View attachment 368523

The monks were generally good marksmen, almost all of them had military training.
During the war they were only used for sanitation purposes

View attachment 368524

You may not think it possible, but 100 -120 years ago, there were more nuns than monks in Tanzania.
What courage and even more trust in God these ladies had to muster.
Unspeakable diseases, hunger, riots and more than 10,000 kilometres away from home to train people in handicrafts and schools and to spread the word of God, we can no longer imagine that time.
Here a nun with a self firing device (right word ?).
Again and again lions that made trouble.

View attachment 368525

What a joy.
Young monk with a strong cape buffalo.

View attachment 368526

Easy rider
Born to be wild

View attachment 368527
Monk with an eland.
Does anyone recognise the rifle?

It was interesting to hear that the leadership of the mission took place in the monastery St.Ottilien (1 hour drive from Munich today)
But the military operations during the Kaiserreich of Wilhelm II. were not planned in Berlin (Arab riots on the coast and Sansibar,Wahehe,Maji Maji .....) but in Ingolstadt !!! (today the center of AUDI cars )
There is a military museum there, that I would like to visit.

View attachment 368528

Leopard in the trap.

View attachment 368529
a lion killed by spear in the eye.
On the back of the photo
"this is the lion that ate our carpenter Sebastian".

View attachment 368530

-use enough gun

View attachment 368531

Lions were a real plague for the people in that times
View attachment 368532

these could be two Wanderobos warrior,
Wanderobos were impoverished Massai.

So ,and now I let it go.
I hope you have some joy, to see some hunting pictures from really old Africa.
Foxi
Fascinating! I believe the wine they made is still done today too.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
as a young man two friends and i hunted small game with a priest in our area, he used a fine 20 ga fox double barrel shogun, he didn,t hunt large game.

Foxi

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
Hello folks,
thank you all for your kind words for my OLD AFRICA pics.Here a few further

Mönche Löwen Selbstschussfalle.JPG

Again and again self firing traps .
Again and again threats from the big cats of prey .
One hardly believes this today, but the big excitement seems to have been the lion plague.
Several monks have also risked their lives hunting them.

Mönche Sudanaskaris.JPG

Schutztruppenoffizier of the German Empire with Sudan askaris.
A naval officer ? I am not very familiar with uniforms.
The army of the German Empire called itself "Schutztruppe" (protect troops) in the colonies.
Until the war in East Africa, it consisted exclusively of black soldiers, led by the whites and their NCOs (Effendis called).
The Sudan-Askaris from the Egyptian British Sudan had the best reputation.
Which were replaced by England for money.
An early forerunner of personnel leasing one might think.
These Sudanese were outstanding and hot-blooded because of their military skills.
England then stopped this programme because they could not and did not want to do without the Sudan (and Zulu) Askaris, because they needed them themselves and they did not want to give the German Empire such an advantage with well trained and warlike soldiers.

Askari.jpg

The famous Askari Order by Hermann von Wissmann, the conqueror of Tanzania (DOA in those times) under Reich Chancellor Bismarck .

"I will severely and ruthlessly punish any (white officer) who treats these soldiers and their wives unruly"

Lettow Mitte.jpg

Without these guys Lettow Vorbeck (middle, general of the German troops in DOA during the 1st WW) would never have lasted so long. In 1926 Lettow-Vorbeck made sure that the Askaris received their promised pensions. During the Second World War the payments came to an end. The pensions of the Askaris were paid out again by the Federal Republic of Germany from the beginning of the 1960s until the death of the last Askaris at the end of the 1990s.

-ettow-vorbeck-riding-bettmann.jpg

Lettow always spoke with great appreciation about the Askaris (and their support teams). This did not fit at all into the picture of the Nazis' racial mania. They would have liked to put him in front of their carts. So Goebbels and Hitler also dropped him- thank God.
(Beg your pardon for a little bit off topic)

Mönche.JPG

I hardly know of any other picture that depicts the myth of OLD AFRICA as this one does.
This photo tells more than 100 books.
Just let it work for you too.

Regards from Munich
Foxi

Last edited:

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Thanks for the new photos and comments!

Bullhunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Different nature, sport and shooting organisations
Great story.
I had it in my arcives for decades also.

Frederik

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden

Randy F

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
Thank you both for sharing the history. Can't get enough of that. Keep it coming please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcd

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.