AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Hunters will no longer be subject to a Valued Added Tax (VAT) on hunting fees, licenses and permits in Tanzania, thanks to a decision announced on June 21, 2017 by Finance and Planning Minister Philip Mpango. The abolition of the VAT is intended by Tanzania to help promote business in the hunting sector.

Tanzania added the 18% VAT back in July 2016 to all services rendered to foreign tourists, including hunters on safari. The timely removal of the tax comes just prior to the July 1st opening of Tanzania’s hunting season.

Source: Safari Club international (SCI)

That is more good news today! Thanks for sharing Jerome!

A sensible decision, due recognition of how much Tanzania can benefit from welcoming hunters in particular, and tourism in general, without taxing the daylights out of us.
Many thanks, Jerome.

With Zimbabwe headed the other direction. This should be telling.

Tanzania makes it's important decisions in June or July. Right at the start of the hunting season with no regard to outfitters or hunters. This is good news but it is to late for outfitters to market it to clients this year. Just like starting the VAT last year at this time was to late. Imagine getting a $20k VAT bill at the end of your safari in 2016.

Other examples of Tanzania doing this kind of thing right at the July 1 start of the season:

Apx. 2006 they jacked up the government fees.

Apx. 2014 they raised the minimum hunting age. Fathers with kids in the air for a safari arrived in Tanzania to find out the kids were to young to hunt because of a last minute rule change.

There are a couple of other things that have happened in the last 10 years or so that I am not recalling off hand.

Many hunters are sick of the Tanzania governments last minute decisions and not knowing what the surprise will be next year. Dozens of concessions have been turned back to the government, some, partly due to the fact that no one knows what the rules will be at the time of their hunt.

This is great news! Here is to hoping that decisions will be made a year + in advance going forward and not last minute.

This is a step in the right direction, now if they would also cut back on their license fees!! For the majority of guys going to Africa, the license/fees/taxes just price it out of the market.

Man..... now they just need to start offering 40+ bulls all inclusive for below $10k, and I am all in Balls Deep!!!!

Man..... now they just need to start offering 40+ bulls all inclusive for below $10k, and I am all in Balls Deep!!!!
I think you are in for a long wait. Lol.

Charter flights into the remote areas can go $3000 -5000. Unless you don't mind a 12 hour drive for about $1200 or so.

Guess it's RSA for me then......

Seems that politicians (Pollywafflers?) are the same, wherever we go. Not that I'll be hunting Africa again soon, but the more I research (MANY thanks to AH) the greater the likelihood it will be Namibia when I do. Whatever happens, when we get the opportunity (and funds) together we should go...
My late maternal Grandfather (he passed on before I arrived) served with the Brits during the Boer War, plus several years with the Natal Police. His advice to my father was to see Africa if the chance arose. Been once, dearly want to go back.

Did your dad ever make it?

Only en route to the UK during WW11, stopover at Capetown, then during the Tobruk campaign. (Yes, he was one of the so-called "Rats")

Seems that politicians (Pollywafflers?) are the same, wherever we go. Not that I'll be hunting Africa again soon, but the more I research (MANY thanks to AH) the greater the likelihood it will be Namibia when I do. Whatever happens, when we get the opportunity (and funds) together we should go...
My late maternal Grandfather (he passed on before I arrived) served with the Brits during the Boer War, plus several years with the Natal Police. His advice to my father was to see Africa if the chance arose. Been once, dearly want to go back.

I have been fortunate to go 2x..... The last time was to KZN. I got to hunt literally in the former battlegrounds from the Boer War. I got to see some really cool monuments & hear some great history. I felt like I was part of it.... Although, I have no relation to.

The grandfather was what the Brits called a "professional soldier"; second or third son of a family, so no benefits for him. He "served/fought" in the Boer War, and WW1, (Australian light horse, and Camel Corps, as well as a stint on Gallipoli, all highly significant to us Aussies). A Chinese warlord ( who wanted to neuter Granddad, so that finished that) and (I hope this doesn't offend, it's not meant to do so) the US Army.Deserted, because of the brutality of training; allegedly up to 50% of the recruits didn't survive or finish as healthy fit men. Things have changed a lot since then.... An interesting history.... I'd love to see the areas that you saw....

Well, that frees up some trophy fee money!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg