TANZANIA: Has Anyone Hunted With PD Safaris?

AES

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Do any of you have any experience With PD Safaris? Interested to hear any impressions that you may have received from third parties, as well. Lastly, do you think that one should hold out to hunt specifically with Peter (seems like doing so is intrinsically worth more than having one of his colleagues as PH). Thanks.

Specifically in the Selous . . . but other areas would be great to hear about too.

Dear AES, i haven’t hunted with PD Safaris yet but I know a guy who has hunted with him. I met him first time 2012 on the Heym Challenge. He has a very good reputation in Germany. I know that he would go with him again and I heard there were already plans for 2020. I contacted PD beginning of this year about a buffalo hunt in Tanzania. But he told me that he is not sure if he can guide me. Maybe I had to go with one of his PH.

I don't know him but I know of him. He is a highly respected PH with a good reputation.
If I could afford it I would have no hesitation booking a hunt with him or his outfit.

There is a video called Buffalo Fever and although it is set in Uganda, the PH is Peter Dafner.

https://www.outdoorchannel.com/show/buffalo-fever/367920

I don't know him but I know of him. He is a highly respected PH with a good reputation.
If I could afford it I would have no hesitation booking a hunt with him or his outfit.

There is a video called Buffalo Fever and although it is set in Uganda, the PH is Peter Dafner.

https://www.outdoorchannel.com/show/buffalo-fever/367920
I did watch these as well as several other shows where he was involved. I was impressed by his ability to deliver knowledge throughout the hunt . . . ie "here's why we are doing what i am suggesting we do" v. "do this".

Maybe you can also consider Rainer Joesch. He is also well known and could be a choice for Tanzania. He made several movies about buffalo hunting

I hunted with him years ago in the Selous with one of hins PH (the late Crispin Mayandika) on buffalo for two weeks. We always followed the same herd of about 170 heads, sometimes mixed with another herd of about 70 cows. As it turned out later, they were only buffs in this concession and there were only 2 bulls with them. I shot the bigger one, meaning a barely 2 years old bull measuring at least 32 ''. You are right when saying it was my fault shooting it, but if there isn't any comparison and the PH urges you to shoot, what would you do ? For myself, I never hunted with PD again.
By the way: The only evening we started a campfire (Crispin) was on that day I shot the bull and we came to camp already in the afternoon (the other days PD and his client were the first to be in camp again and he never lit a fire).

I hunted with him years ago in the Selous with one of hins PH (the late Crispin Mayandika) on buffalo for two weeks. We always followed the same herd of about 170 heads, sometimes mixed with another herd of about 70 cows. As it turned out later, they were only buffs in this concession and there were only 2 bulls with them. I shot the bigger one, meaning a barely 2 years old bull measuring at least 32 ''. You are right when saying it was my fault shooting it, but if there isn't any comparison and the PH urges you to shoot, what would you do ? For myself, I never hunted with PD again.
By the way: The only evening we started a campfire (Crispin) was on that day I shot the bull and we came to camp already in the afternoon (the other days PD and his client were the first to be in camp again and he never lit a fire).

Wow. Disappointing to hear.

You won't hear anything bad about him in Germany.
A honest skin,so we say.
His blocks are a bit small.

Peter Dafner is a total gentleman and a professional. You will not go wrong hunting with him. His stories are fantastic from over 30 years of hunting dangerous game and he offers the full service from the guiding aspect to the social side of things. You should not run out of things to talk about during the safari!

Kind regards,
Dempsey Bayly and Michael Sippel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross