TANZANIA: Has Anyone Hunted With PD Safaris?

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by AES, May 29, 2020.

1. AES

AES AH Veteran

Do any of you have any experience With PD Safaris? Interested to hear any impressions that you may have received from third parties, as well. Lastly, do you think that one should hold out to hunt specifically with Peter (seems like doing so is intrinsically worth more than having one of his colleagues as PH). Thanks.

2. AES

AES AH Veteran

Specifically in the Selous . . . but other areas would be great to hear about too.

3. Lowdi

Lowdi New Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Southafrica, Poland, Germany, USA, Canada
    Dear AES, i haven’t hunted with PD Safaris yet but I know a guy who has hunted with him. I met him first time 2012 on the Heym Challenge. He has a very good reputation in Germany. I know that he would go with him again and I heard there were already plans for 2020. I contacted PD beginning of this year about a buffalo hunt in Tanzania. But he told me that he is not sure if he can guide me. Maybe I had to go with one of his PH.

4. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    England year round and Namibia x5.
    I don't know him but I know of him. He is a highly respected PH with a good reputation.
    If I could afford it I would have no hesitation booking a hunt with him or his outfit.

There is a video called Buffalo Fever and although it is set in Uganda, the PH is Peter Dafner.

https://www.outdoorchannel.com/show/buffalo-fever/367920

5. AES

AES AH Veteran

I did watch these as well as several other shows where he was involved. I was impressed by his ability to deliver knowledge throughout the hunt . . . ie "here's why we are doing what i am suggesting we do" v. "do this".

6. Lowdi

Lowdi New Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Southafrica, Poland, Germany, USA, Canada
    Maybe you can also consider Rainer Joesch. He is also well known and could be a choice for Tanzania. He made several movies about buffalo hunting

7. takataka

takataka New Member

I hunted with him years ago in the Selous with one of hins PH (the late Crispin Mayandika) on buffalo for two weeks. We always followed the same herd of about 170 heads, sometimes mixed with another herd of about 70 cows. As it turned out later, they were only buffs in this concession and there were only 2 bulls with them. I shot the bigger one, meaning a barely 2 years old bull measuring at least 32 ''. You are right when saying it was my fault shooting it, but if there isn't any comparison and the PH urges you to shoot, what would you do ? For myself, I never hunted with PD again.
    By the way: The only evening we started a campfire (Crispin) was on that day I shot the bull and we came to camp already in the afternoon (the other days PD and his client were the first to be in camp again and he never lit a fire).

8. AES

AES AH Veteran

Wow. Disappointing to hear.

9. Foxi

Foxi AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
    You won't hear anything bad about him in Germany.
    A honest skin,so we say.
    His blocks are a bit small.