Tanzania and the Future of its Wildlife

MontanaINAfrica

Reaction score
Hunted
United States, South Africa
To all my fellow lovers of the dark Continent. I found this opinion on the Professional Hunters Of Africa page on Facebook. This could be a real disaster for all of Africa if things don't change and thanks to a recent past administration in our American Government they did more harm than any good....

OPINION.

ANTI-HUNTERS WORLDWIDE, REJOICE! By Zig Mackintosh.

Here is some fantastic news for the anti-hunting lobby and those that believe hunting has no role to play in wildlife conservation. The Tanzanian government is planning to assess 12 game controlled areas (GCA) that no longer qualify for the wild life protection so that arrangements would be made to release them for public use. This was said by the deputy minister for Natural Resources and Tourism, Mr Josephat Hasunga, in the Parliament on Wednesday May 2.

This will be conducted through the Tanzania Wildlife Research Institute (Tawiri). The assessment will involve hunting plots as well. He was responding to a question by Biharamuro West Member of Parliament Oscar Mukasa, who sought to know if the government had started the process of releasing the disqualified GCA's to local government authorities.
"It's a cross-cutting process that involves the Ministry of Agriculture and that of Livestock and Fisheries, this is to make sure that the land in question will be put to proper use," said the deputy minister.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201805020764.html

Okay so why are they considering turning wildlife reserves into agricultural areas? It’s economics, stupid! Safari hunting operators can no longer make money in these areas because of issues such as the of the ban on the importation of lion and elephant trophies into the USA.

One of the country’s largest safari hunting operators, Eric Pasansi closed his company earlier this year and handed back all of his hunting blocks to the Tanzanian government. This is what he had to say:

“I confirm that I surrendered all my hunting blocks of all my companies today. My family has been the longest operating company in Tanzania- for more than 40 years. We have been the biggest operator in Tanzania and all of Africa.

We have held the largest part of the Selous, with prime blocks, the same since 1978 which I finished surrendering all today. We have gone from 126 safaris per year to a handful because of the closure of US elephant and lion trophy imports.

We cannot book enough 21-day safaris to make a profit or stay in business without lion and elephant imports into the US. Our losses are escalating so I have to stop.

When U.S. elephant and lion hunting imports were threatened we stepped up our anti-poaching to 2.4 million dollars in three years.

We by ourselves funded 100 Selous Game Reserve Game Scouts for many years.

The efforts of Tanzania, of my companies and foundation have been completely ignored by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, so we have already been operating at a loss for too long it is time to stop and I cannot guarantee that the biodiversity of the hunting areas will not be lost now!

Everything will end very quickly and wildlife will disappear in these areas that represent almost 1/3 of Tanzania territory. I have already returned 10 blocks the past years and with no hunters in the field it is going to be very difficult to save our last elephants.

Our involvement in anti-poaching has become almost zero this year because our income losses. I think that the decisions by USFWS will eventually exterminate all Tanzania wildlife outside national Park because of their determination to stop the importation of trophies into the US.

The real truth is that everyone does not care and nobody can realize the irreversible damage caused by such decisions. It is certainly the END OF THE GAME if your governments do not realize and help Tanzania.

Anyway, it is already too late for me, and soon it will be too late for other outfitters.”

So what alternatives do the Tanzania government have? If there is no return on wildlife, then it has to be something else and that something else is agriculture because that is the easiest path to take.

Trying to keep those areas going as wildlife refuges would be prohibitively expensive and and will ultimately fail. By turning to agriculture the wildlife will inevitably disappear along with the forests that will be leveled for farmland.

The effects of livestock and human activity on the rivers and riverine vegetation will become apparent very quickly. Poaching and logging pressure on the remaining adjoining safari hunting areas will be immense.

So well done to the worldwide anti-hunting movement, your hard work is starting to pay off!

so did I , but sad truth the same.. we got to wake up and hope Africa is around for the future generations

It's my understanding that Tanzania was never on the banned list even under obama.

https://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cfm?ID=2E6FF2A2-E10F-82BC-DAE08807810E3C6B

Service Suspends Import of Elephant Trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe
April 4, 2014
Division of Public Affairs
External Affairs
Telephone: 703-358-2220
Website: https://www.fws.gov/external-affairs/public-affairs/

Revised June 5, 2014

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today announced a suspension on imports of sport-hunted African elephant trophies taken in Tanzania and Zimbabwe during calendar year 2014. Questionable management practices, a lack of effective law enforcement and weak governance have resulted in uncontrolled poaching and catastrophic population declines of African elephants in Tanzania. In Zimbabwe, available data, though limited, indicate a significant decline in the elephant population. Anecdotal evidence, such as the widely publicized poisoning last year of 300 elephants in Hwange National Park, suggests that Zimbabwe’s elephants are also under siege.

Given the current situation on the ground in both Tanzania and Zimbabwe, the Service is unable to make positive findings required under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and the Endangered Species Act to allow import of elephant trophies from these countries. Additional killing of elephants in these countries, even if legal, is not sustainable and is not currently supporting conservation efforts that contribute towards the recovery of the species.

The decision to suspend the import of sport-hunted trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe applies to elephants taken on or after April 4, 2014. The Service will reevaluate this suspension for calendar year 2015 or upon receipt of new information that demonstrates an improved situation for elephants in these countries.

Legal, well-regulated sport hunting, as part of a sound management program, can benefit the conservation of listed species by providing incentives to local communities to conserve the species and by putting much-needed revenue back into conservation. At this time, the Service does not have conservation concerns with African elephant sport hunting in Namibia, South Africa, or Botswana; though it should be noted that Botswana is not currently open to elephant sport hunting.

For more information, please visit www.fws.gov/international/permits/by-activity/sport-hunted-trophies.html.

Restrictions on lion in Tanzania came under Obama also.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.23.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.23.23 AM.png
    589.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.23.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.23.29 AM.png
    635.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.17 AM.png
    694.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.18 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.33 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.35 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.25.37 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
The fundraising coffers are full at HSUS. Who cares about wildlife in Africa or Africans. They sure don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross