AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
We are about 20 days out from our first Safari and aside from the hunt preparations I have also been looking at taxidermy forms and photos to get some ideas. I will have a few shoulder mounts and a few European mounts hopefully.

I am considering a flat hide on my blesbok and additionally have considered getting my warthog hide tanned as leather to have a pair of boots made.

I will be having my taxi work done here in the states. My question is for a flat hide and tanned hair off leather would I be better off having the dip/pack taxidermist do that in Africa or have it done stateside as well.

Can’t answer your question re: quality of tanning in Africa, but I had my buffalo back skin tanned by Specialty Leather in Boone, IA and they did a great job. Shipped the tanned leather to Dick Murray in TX and had a couple of gun cases and quite a number of bullet pouches made. Completely happy with both.

Hi Austin
Just a couple thoughts. Not sure what else is on your list but on my first trip I got a gold level blue wildebeest and since it was my first animal I had them Cape it for a should mount. Ever since I have wished I would have had the whole hide tanned for a rug.
Then the next time I got a great Warthog and my PH said I should at least have a shoulder mount done so I had the cape sent to the states with the skull. I also had the hide of my Red hartebeest tanned there. What should have been 4-5 months took nine months all the blame went to the tanning of the hide with so many reasons I couldn’t type them all.
When the crate finally got to the states I had decided to not have the shoulder mount on the Warthog but I had to pay about $120 to have the cape tanner by a US regulation? You might think about the Warthog hide.
You may have seen my Warthog on here but I will post it here also I had the skull bronzed by a guy in Denver.

1617A1B0-41AA-4943-A2E6-ABB29874B34B.jpeg

Have a great Safari and post an article and photos
Tom
PS great Whitetail Deer

Last edited:
I was looking for tanning facilities in the US as I am still debating what to do with some animals and wanted to get some prices. This would allow me to dip and pack to get my stuff out of Africa quicker. Thx. That pig skull is awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!