Taking the Family to South Africa

sureshot375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I’ve booked plane tickets to take the family to RSA in July. I got married back in November. It seems like as good a time as any to take the wife and step daughters, 8 and 10, to Africa.

The wife has gotten into hunting since she started dating me. A couple years ago she shot her first deer by herself back home while I was off pheasant hunting in South Dakota. She’s pretty good with her bow, but hasn’t killed with a bow yet.

The kids have just recently expressed interest in hunting. They are getting pretty good with the .22. I’m hoping to bump them up to a .223 soon. I’m hoping I can get them in good enough shape for an impala or warthog.

We will be over there 14 days. I’m thinking we will spend a couple days in Kruger. If the weather in cape town is looking decent we might fly down there for a few days.

I’m excited. It will be a new kind of adventure for me.

That is going to be an awesome family memory! Congratulations on the marriage and the family that hunts together!!

Enjoy yourself. It is going to be a great adventure.

NICE!!
Hope you all have a great trip.

JP

I should have added to my first response, but I’m curious if your family will be hunting together the entire time or will some be doing non-hunting activities while others hunt? I’m asking because hopefully my family and I will get out there in 1-2 years, but my wife isn’t in to hunting. So I’m soaking up any ideas for non-hunting activities that I can come across.

Enjoy the time here in RSA with your family.
Heads up regarding Cape Town in July as it is our rainy season then. But who knows with the weather these days. Have fun though to you and your family

Congrats on both the new marriage and going to Africa!!!!! Ask your outfitter if they have rifles with silencers on them? My son shot 22 then 243. While in Africa he shot a 3006 with a silencer which made it shot like a 243 with little recoil. He shot five animals last year and had an awesome time. Enjoy

taking my son last year, he was nine, was one of my best life experiences. Getting to "see" Africa through his eyes is something I will carry with me forever.

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Very happy for you and your family!

Sounds great, wish you all have a good time !

It sounds as if the whole family is going to have a great time....Good Luck.

Congrats on setting up a great family trip. I’ll be in the EC with my wife and youngest son for a safari in June with Frontier Safaris. It will be my wife’s second trip as well as my sons but our first all together. It will be my 17th trip to Africa :)
In addition to hunting we will visit some sheep farms (I raise South African Dorper sheep as my main biz) I’ve always wanted to visit as well as a trip to Addo Elephant park.
I hope y’all have a great time!

I should have added to my first response, but I’m curious if your family will be hunting together the entire time or will some be doing non-hunting activities while others hunt? I’m asking because hopefully my family and I will get out there in 1-2 years, but my wife isn’t in to hunting. So I’m soaking up any ideas for non-hunting activities that I can come across.

So for this trip I will probably stay with the family the whole time. It’s not so much of a designated hunting trip as it is an introduction to Africa and a chance to visit friends. If they get tired of hunting we will do something else.

What you are wanting to do can certainly be accomplished. I’ve been on safaris in the past where the womenfolk struck off for other adventures ranging from Cape Town, shopping, spa, private game reserve, etc. I’ve also had a number of trips where the non hunting wives enjoyed the time in camp, reading, going for walks, joining the hunt at times. On the way in I’ve gotten to where I stay at the Witwater guest house and spa. It’s a little nicer than the other accommodations and sets a good tone with the women. The only downside is that a squatter camp has popped up right across the street. I feel safe there, but some people are sensitive to that stuff.

Congrats on both the new marriage and going to Africa!!!!! Ask your outfitter if they have rifles with silencers on them? My son shot 22 then 243. While in Africa he shot a 3006 with a silencer which made it shot like a 243 with little recoil. He shot five animals last year and had an awesome time. Enjoy

I’m hoping to take a rifle with a suppressor with me for them to use. I have two suppressors waiting on tax stamps. If not my outfitter has a .243 and .22 hornet that should work. They won’t be shooting anything big. I’m kind of doing things backwards with them. I would love for them to get some deer and hogs under their belt stateside first, but that’s not how things are working out. This trip will be as much of an introduction to hunting as anything else.

Enjoy the time here in RSA with your family.
Heads up regarding Cape Town in July as it is our rainy season then. But who knows with the weather these days. Have fun though to you and your family

It will be kind of a game time decision about cape town based on the weather. I’ve been really lucky with great weather there in July in the past, but it certainly can’t be expected. We are fortunate that we have a great deal of flexibility with our outfitter.

I’ve booked plane tickets to take the family to RSA in July. I got married back in November. It seems like as good a time as any to take the wife and step daughters, 8 and 10, to Africa.

The wife has gotten into hunting since she started dating me. A couple years ago she shot her first deer by herself back home while I was off pheasant hunting in South Dakota. She’s pretty good with her bow, but hasn’t killed with a bow yet.

The kids have just recently expressed interest in hunting. They are getting pretty good with the .22. I’m hoping to bump them up to a .223 soon. I’m hoping I can get them in good enough shape for an impala or warthog.

We will be over there 14 days. I’m thinking we will spend a couple days in Kruger. If the weather in cape town is looking decent we might fly down there for a few days.

I’m excited. It will be a new kind of adventure for me.
Nothing like family. God bless and enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois