AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Was wondering what the law was on extra barrels.My son has a t/c pro hunter I was thinking of taking next trip.Was going to take it as The 270 but take the muzzlerloader barrel with also.WAs thinking I could just put the extra barrel in my bow case or checked bags.

Bill,

My first advice is to always use a good travel agent. They know the laws and will answer your question correctly. Lori Spears at Travel Express, Shawn Kennedy at Gracy Trave, or steve Turner with travel with Guns are all reputable.

Now for my internet expert answer.

I would place the extra barrel in the gun case with the action and other barrel. Even though it cannot fire I would not want to be caught with a rifle barrel in regular checked luggage.

I would also list it on the Namibia gun permit including the serial number for both barrels if available.

http://www.africahunting.com/huntin.../namibia_arms_ammunition_application_form.pdf

Keep in mind if you are flying through another country you MAY need to complete their permit and include both barrels.

Will your outfitter have powder and primers for the muzzleloader as you cannot fly with them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of people taking an extra barrel for their gun but you may want to check with the Outfitter that you will be hunting with to see how easy it is to get Black Powder there I understand that it can't be imported just as powder or its a pain in the A#$ not sure on that part just what I've heard.

Put it in yr gun case or it'll get 'lost'! Declare it all the way through and enjoy!

Bill,

No problem with bringing an extra barrel into SA (if that is where you'll be heading).

BUT, I'd suggest you formally apply for a temporary import permit for the black powder barrel as you would for an extra rifle to avoid hang-ups at the airport. Definitely in a gun case - not in checked luggage.

I am planning on a combo namibia/south africa trip.I need to find out if they will count it as one gun or as two guns.Thanks guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg