Taking Lion with 470 Nitro Express /458 Win Mag?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Jaws, Jan 22, 2019.

1. IvW

IvW AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    Unless I mis read it they do not have a Lott...

2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    I stand corrected. Should have said .458WM

3. IvW

IvW AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    Which 460 Weatherby is this exactly? The 26 inch barreled one fitted with a "can" on the front? Used for head shot moose at 400+ yards?

If so it would be a real piss poor choice as a rifle to use on a tracking hunt for Lion..

If it was loaded to these earth moving velocities without a can, well even worse...what a poor choice for lion hunting...

How many lions exactly or estimated did you shoot with this shite choice??

How many are the few others what the shooter couldn't do himself? How is it that you did the sorting out? Where you a PH at this time or just happened to be there and sorted the issues out?

Well I ques "BS" baffles brains...

spike.t and JakeH like this.

4. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    Two cattle killing lions shot in Namibia by a farmer with 270. He said it is a little light but it only took two shots. FB_IMG_1548360218991.jpeg

5. JKO Hunting Safaris

JKO Hunting Safaris SPONSOR Since 2011 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Burkina Faso, Zambia
    I would load my .470 with 500gr Woodleigh's, they will be more than enough. As long as you use softer type of bullet you should be fine..... You rarely take lion further than 40 yards away... Especially with Tienie!

You guys will have a good time and no need to over analyze it too much!

ActionBob, spike.t, Jaws and 4 others like this.

6. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Hendershots is pretty knowledgeable on the African safari scene and custom ammo. For every ammo they load, they offer a wide selection of bullets in various weights. They also state the recommended uses.

https://hendershots.net/custom-ammo/

Examples:

upload_2019-1-24_15-58-1.png

upload_2019-1-24_16-0-4.png

upload_2019-1-24_16-1-0.png

Red Leg, JakeH and Von S. like this.

7. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    There have possibly been more lions killed with either the 7x57 or the 303, than all the .5+ calibers combined.

Not that either would be my first choice.

Red Leg, Von S. and lwaters like this.

8. JakeH

JakeH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    USA
    Eleanor O’Connor took the biggest lion taken by her or her legendary husband with a .30-06. There’s lots that WILL kill a lion but when there’s a good chance that you’re not just the hunter but the hunted as well, I’m stacking the deck a little heavier on my favor.

Von S. likes this.

9. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    This is a very interesting subject, as I plan to hunt lioness in July of this year if everything comes together. My hunt will be tracking on foot. Ridgewalker will be there as well, hunting both Lion and Lioness. So all in all, we plan to take 3 lions total. He plans to use a 375 H&H with 235 grain Barnes TSX if I'm not mistaken. I plan to use either a 375 H&H with 270 grain Swifts or a 416 Ruger with 350 grain TSX or Swifts for Lioness. I plan to have a muzzle velocity up around 2600-2700 fps with either set up. I know these loads are probably more than what will be needed for my hunt, but since I'll be there with Ridgewalker while he hunts his male lion, I want to be prepared for anything that may happen. I also plan to hunt Eland and a few other PG, so I should be good for any game on my list.

kgesch, Ridgewalker and Von S. like this.

10. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    Jack O'Conner wrote that the 375 was a great soft skin dangerous game rifle and for that it has no rival but for Buffalo and Elephants 40 plus calibers we're better.

Von S. likes this.

11. Jaws

Jaws AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    I take it you know Tienie & his wife? Splendid people.
    We accidentally met them during a visit to a neighboring farm, and went to see some buffalo being transferred due to the drought during November 2018.
    Somehow we ended up with Tienie & Ananja & arrangements just gathered momentum from there!

12. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Add the 8x57 JS and I know you are correct.

Wheels and Von S. like this.

13. Jaws

Jaws AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Thanks Von S,

yes, the time frame is not ideal, though I have put over 200 rounds through the 470 in the past few weeks, I'm confident in that aspect where to place the bullet & get them on target. exactly why I'd prefer to hunt with the .470 over anything else.
    Fortunately we have the little private "range" right in our own back yard, load development & practice can be done as often as we like, weather permitting though. Currently raining & I don't reload when the humidity & moisture is this high.
    The .404 is a little gem, she spits everything she's fed right on target, I really don't have qualms with using her as a back-up should I need to, especially at short ranges.

Unfortunately, with the current weather situation, I'll have to buy some factory .404 Norma loaded with Woodleigh softs as back-up since we don't have Woodleigh softs or Swift A frame for reloads (only Peregrine & Hornady for practice) my gripe is, factory ammunition is quite expensive in SA at $506 / 50 rounds! But we will zero with the factory ammunition closer to the time & use that for the hunt.
    The .470 I still have a few hand loaded practice rounds + Hornady DGX I can keep in tune with, A frames I have a full box I can reload for the hunt, there is just no way I'm willing to pay $674 for 50 factory rounds! will load my own with the Swift A frames, they do group very well in my rifle.

Anxious doesn't exactly describe the mood right now!

14. Jaws

Jaws AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    And here's the report!

We drove in to the hunting area of Warthog Safari's early the Thursday morning & had just started scanning for spoor along the dirt track.
    I was still pondering about the amount + massive Hyena & buffalo spoor all over , when we heard the vervet monkeys going nuts with alarm calls & snickering not too far in to the brush.

We decided to investigate.
    Heading into the brush towards the monkeys about 50M in we spotted the lioness where she was curiously observing us. Her eyes giving her away against the green background of the dense bush ! She snuck off and hid behind a smallish brush with only her eyes & ears visible, the monkeys mocking & performing relentlessly from the opposite end.

Our guide started getting excited urging My dad to get ready. He took up position but she didn't offer a clear shot, he moved a little to the left, when the lioness decided she had enough & snuck off again , angling away further to our left.
    For a quick second there was a clearing exposing her vitals as she crept forward & the old man let the .458WM bark! sending a 480grn Peregrine zipping through the shoulder.
    She jumped forward letting out a single growl but hardly made 5M before going down for good.
    That's it...first morning & the Lioness hunt was over without much of a ceremony.

During the skinning & preparation process, I like to inspect the bullet path & also see the anatomy of the animal.
    I can truthfully state, the Peregrine bullets made for some decent Entrance & Exit holes. I fitted my whole thumb into the entrance hole with ease, the exit hole was double that
    The lungs were completely destroyed, reduced to a bloody pulp. I was surprised to see a relative small organ volume, heart, liver lungs, stomach & intestines with exception to the surprisingly large kidneys in relation to the animal size, though the animal was immensely fat!

I had a thorough look at the claws & found some long frizzed black hair stuck in the sheaths & was intrigued by it, secretly thinking its from a tiff with one of the big boys she couldn't stand, wandering & hoping I would bump into him later.

DSC00020.JPG

To be continued.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2019
    rinehart0050, stug, jasyblood and 5 others like this.

15. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Jaws! Don’t keep us waiting too long! Please!

16. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Looking forward to the rest of the report.