Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
evening gents im going to do a hunt in brittish columbia in middle september and will be taking my 300 rum and bow and have recieved the relevent paper work to take the firearm out of oz and bring it back the travel agent has let the airway know they will be on the flight but im not sure if i need to let canadian customs know or not is there anyone that can help with this please ?ive been trying to get in touch with the outfitter but theyre not responding just yetcheers

Do not forget your pound of flesh. "A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25 Canadian."

As above:
Individuals can meet Canadian licence and registration requirements by presenting a Non-resident Firearm Declaration (form RCMP 5589) to a customs officer at their point of entry.

If an individual has more than three firearms, he or she should attach the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration - Continuation Sheet (form RCMP 5590).
Once the customs officer has confirmed the declaration, it will serve as a temporary licence for the individual and a registration certificate for any restricted firearm listed on the declaration for up to 60 days.

Good luck on your hunt.

Do not forget your pound of flesh. "A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25 Canadian."

As above:
Individuals can meet Canadian licence and registration requirements by presenting a Non-resident Firearm Declaration (form RCMP 5589) to a customs officer at their point of entry.

If an individual has more than three firearms, he or she should attach the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration - Continuation Sheet (form RCMP 5590).
Once the customs officer has confirmed the declaration, it will serve as a temporary licence for the individual and a registration certificate for any restricted firearm listed on the declaration for up to 60 days.

Good luck on your hunt.

Brick what do you mean by a restricted firearm ?

Brick what do you mean by a restricted firearm ?

In Canada all firearms possession is controlled. The Federal Government is in the midst of overhauling the firearms registration process.

In general we have three designations of firearms:

Prohibited:
Example: Machine Guns, sawed of shotguns, suppressors. You are not allowed to have these at all. Exceptions, some items can be held by collectors.

Restricted:
Example All Handguns. You require a Restricted License and take a course to have them and you need a permit to transport them from point A to B. Very few people are allowed to carry handguns on their person. Police, Security, etc.

Many Americans attempt to cross the border on their drive through Canada to Alaska carrying their handguns and get them confiscated at the border. (If it is enforcement day at the border)
If they were going to a registered competition they could declare them, obtain a permit and pay their money and go to the competition.
Lots of friends in the US carry hand guns around all the time. Not here!

Firearms:
Rifles and Shotguns.
A General Possession Acquisition License (PAL) allows you to have these firearms.

This all applies to residents.
NonResidents have to fill out the forms to comply.

ok, i thought maybe the individual temporary licence was for rifles/shotguns ,and the restricted part for the more exotic stuff. so not too difficult to arrive there then. does the licence and certificate allow you to travel to all provinces? thanks

ok, i thought maybe the individual temporary licence was for rifles/shotguns ,and the restricted part for the more exotic stuff. so not too difficult to arrive there then. does the licence and certificate allow you to travel to all provinces? thanks
If you arrive with a Restricted firearm (Handgun) you had best have a letter stating what you are doing, where you are staying and where you are going to be shooting.
You can only discharge handguns at approved ranges, etc.

Firearms Legislation at the moment is FEDERAL. So, once over the border into Canada you can go for a drive with your "long guns" without issues. (You know the store the firearms securely in a case separate from the ammunition, etc.)

thank you
blue skies
brickburn
and spiket
so is this correct if i fly on in to canada with my firearm , ammo and archery equipement and all the paper work from this end
and have a rcmp 5589, 5590 and form 909 all pre filled out
i then go to customs and submit them to an officer give him my pound of flesh ,it should be all said and done right there
it sound s easy
thanks again

Just make sure you read the forms on the links.

Good luck.

roger roger
thanks brickburn
im on the way back to port now so i will be able to print them out at home tonight

ok this might be a silly question but
do i need an invatation to hunt to get my firearm and bow in to canada ???
i needed it to get my 3006 in to south africa
ive just right now ask the outfitter but it can take him many days to answer
thanks fellas

ok this might be a silly question but
do i need an invatation to hunt to get my firearm and bow in to canada ???
i needed it to get my 3006 in to south africa
ive just right now ask the outfitter but it can take him many days to answer
thanks fellas

No you don't but they will probally ask who your hunting with and amount of time in country.

no worries thank you brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross