Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Nothing
So this is more of a question forum than anything else but I am planning to do a hunt in 2019 with Takeri Reserve. Was wondering if anyone can answer some general questions who have been to Zambia in September or October. What are the bugs like that time of year? I know it is dryer but are there tsetse flies there? What do you recommend for bug spray for over there? What would you recommend for malaria meds? How long do you wait to get a yellow fever shot before going? When you get to the airport, is it a long process or has it been a hassle with guns for other hunters? How much ammo did you bring as I heard they have an ammo tax? Is the visa process easy or was it a hassle for you? Did you have any problems with police trying to shake you down for money? What was your most difficult animal to hunt? I'm interested in all suggestions and answers as this is a big trip. Thanks.

............... What would you recommend for malaria meds? How long do you wait to get a yellow fever shot before going? .............
Talk to your doc and a travel clinic to address your specific needs medically.

1. For Malaria, Malarone is most prescribed and typically the least side effects.

2. YF Vacs are good for 10 years. (At least where I am).

So this is more of a question forum than anything else but I am planning to do a hunt in 2019 with Takeri Reserve. Was wondering if anyone can answer some general questions who have been to Zambia in September or October. What are the bugs like that time of year? I know it is dryer but are there tsetse flies there? What do you recommend for bug spray for over there? What would you recommend for malaria meds? How long do you wait to get a yellow fever shot before going? When you get to the airport, is it a long process or has it been a hassle with guns for other hunters? How much ammo did you bring as I heard they have an ammo tax? Is the visa process easy or was it a hassle for you? Did you have any problems with police trying to shake you down for money? What was your most difficult animal to hunt? I'm interested in all suggestions and answers as this is a big trip. Thanks.

All great questions best answered by someone who has hunted at Takeri for sure. No doubt the good folks at Takeri can give you contact info for some hunters state side who have been there. I would call them and ask plenty of questions because at the end of the day it sure makes a person feel well informed when they can hear someone describe/explain their journey in detail.

I was in the Luangwa Valley in September 2014. It's nowhere near the Kafue area you'll be hunting, so I'm not sure your experience will be the same as mine. However, I can say that Zambia in September can be plenty warm. At least it was when I was there. The mornings were nice and cool, chilly even. The bugs weren't too bad. We'd occasionally get into tsetse flies, but for some reason, they didn't seem too motivated to bite us. You'll know it when they do! They are not subtle! In my experience, nothing much repels them except burning Elephant dung. That works like a charm.

We were able to fly into JNB on Delta at around 5pm I think and catch the last plane to Lusaka at 7pm. We reached Lusaka at 11pm if I remember right. Then we overnighted at the Taj Pamodzi. Nice hotel by any standards. The airport in Lusaka is like airports anywhere in the developing world. Long lines and a low level of chaos! Your outfitter should have someone meet you there and they will usher you through it. We had zero problems. I took 40 rounds of .416 and 40 rounds of .375. They did tax me on the rounds. I believe I paid $1 each. I also remember some "gratuities" were needed for the hard-working civil servants in uniform. When in Rome as they say.

Brickburn gave you the correct info on Malaria and Yellow Fever.

Best of luck on your safari! What are you going after? I hear the Sable are outstanding in the Kafue area.

Hi Chris we don't have tseste flies here and as it's dry then the bugs aren't bad. If as you plan you fly into Ndola airport, it's not how shall we say that big. We will meet you there. You will buy your visa on arrival usd 50 at moment . Temps are pleasant not hot at night ...you might laugh at us possibly putting a coat on...it will get hot later on in day but dry heat so not bad. October will push the temp up so hotter. Buy the generic form of malarone as cheaper now their sole licence has run out, Cheers mike

I was in the Luangwa Valley in September 2014. It's nowhere near the Kafue area you'll be hunting, so I'm not sure your experience will be the same as mine. However, I can say that Zambia in September can be plenty warm. At least it was when I was there. The mornings were nice and cool, chilly even. The bugs weren't too bad. We'd occasionally get into tsetse flies, but for some reason, they didn't seem too motivated to bite us. You'll know it when they do! They are not subtle! In my experience, nothing much repels them except burning Elephant dung. That works like a charm.

We were able to fly into JNB on Delta at around 5pm I think and catch the last plane to Lusaka at 7pm. We reached Lusaka at 11pm if I remember right. Then we overnighted at the Taj Pamodzi. Nice hotel by any standards. The airport in Lusaka is like airports anywhere in the developing world. Long lines and a low level of chaos! Your outfitter should have someone meet you there and they will usher you through it. We had zero problems. I took 40 rounds of .416 and 40 rounds of .375. They did tax me on the rounds. I believe I paid $1 each. I also remember some "gratuities" were needed for the hard-working civil servants in uniform. When in Rome as they say.

Brickburn gave you the correct info on Malaria and Yellow Fever.

Best of luck on your safari! What are you going after? I hear the Sable are outstanding in the Kafue area.
So first off thank you for the info. I would like to hunt eland, waterbuck, Kafue lechwe, puku, chobe bushbuck, common reedbuck, blue duiker, if we can find a Lichtenstein in the area, and maybe a sable(ok I love sable and might just take one). I wouldn't say no to a tsessebe either if there were one in the area but I'm not going to push it. I heard skin so soft works for the flies. Any luck with that? Are head nets recommended? Bluey mentioned in his post about and insect repellant but I don't know what that spray was. Any help would be good.

Talk to your doc and a travel clinic to address your specific needs medically.

1. For Malaria, Malarone is most prescribed and typically the least side effects.

2. YF Vacs are good for 10 years. (At least where I am).
Thanks!

Hi Chris we don't have tseste flies here and as it's dry then the bugs aren't bad. If as you plan you fly into Ndola airport, it's not how shall we say that big. We will meet you there. You will buy your visa on arrival usd 50 at moment . Temps are pleasant not hot at night ...you might laugh at us possibly putting a coat on...it will get hot later on in day but dry heat so not bad. October will push the temp up so hotter. Buy the generic form of malarone as cheaper now their sole licence has run out, Cheers mike
Well, you'd love it where I'm at as we just lost about 6 inches of snow and we always ware our coats!!!

So first off thank you for the info. I would like to hunt eland, waterbuck, Kafue lechwe, puku, chobe bushbuck, common reedbuck, blue duiker, if we can find a Lichtenstein in the area, and maybe a sable(ok I love sable and might just take one). I wouldn't say no to a tsessebe either if there were one in the area but I'm not going to push it. I heard skin so soft works for the flies. Any luck with that? Are head nets recommended? Bluey mentioned in his post about and insect repellant but I don't know what that spray was. Any help would be good.
One of Mike's wonderful sable should be at the top of your list.

Skin so Soft works best in repelling mosquitos. At least in my experience. Blackflies and tsetse flies...not so much. Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it too much. The time of year and the place you're going mean you shouldn't be bothered. If I ever get to the Kafue I'm going to try for Sable. The grow 'em big there! Good luck and safe travels.

I've read your report before and it was very good. I think you also hunted in NZ with the outfitter I will be going with(don't quote me though) Kiwi Wilderness Safari, Peter Chamberlin?

Yes I hunted with Peter. Had a great hunt and took a huge red stag and a nice Tahr. He is one of the best priced companies there. You have some great hunts planned.
Bruce

Chris the repellant is called peaceful sleep and we keep a good supply :D and as I said no tsetse here
Well that sounds very calming and delightful!!! Hey, are there Tsessebe in the area at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg