Take this one to bed

Cumulative effects of headspace causing head separation- can be one time or many, that's the bugger. That is the normal cause. Sometimes, very hard to detect incipient separation, so for DG ammo best to stay well away from the possibility, meaning, as most have stated, either new or once fired brass and meticulous reloading methods and understanding.

Coincidentally, last week at the range I found a freshly discarded front half of what appears to be a 7 mm wildcat or improved of some flavor. I'd say either the fire-forming did not go as planned or the case had seen some excessive headspace event (s) during the fire forming/reloading/resizing process. Even if not exactly a DG round, if that happened out in the field while hunting it would have certainly ruined the day. pic below

I have occasionally thought about the proverbial tree to climb when out there. Sometimes the choices are not too appealing though :) Those knob thorns, as was posted in a pic above, come to mind as do the various acacia species (now Senegalia in Africa) and others. I remember seeing some "inviting" looking trees in buffalo territory once but upon closer examination- not so much! :) They were kapok trees IIRC- pics below

head separation.JPG

kapok.JPG

kapok bark.JPG

Last edited:
After stuffing up their day at the range that shooter may well never end up in that position again. I’ll bet they are pissed at themselves for going home early and might even need a gunsmith to remove the case.

If that person goes on Safari they won’t make that mistake, they will remember the time when!
Mmm, it’s probably something I will remember now with my .375 H&H if I get to pursue Buffalo ,...

Hopefully practice rounds as @sestoppelman said, I hope someone with a rifle like that does know what they are doing.
@CBH
Chris I would almost bet the separations were due to bad loading practice and bumping the shoulder too far back. A common mistake with the belted mags. All my loads for Namibia were virgin brass but at home I will reload cases as often as is safe to do.
In 40 odd years I've never had a separation even in my 303s. A mate had a 243 separate on a hunt but that was an easy fix, a 25 cal bronze brush easily removed the offending case.
Bob

I had a No. 4 Enfield do that to me. Headspace was out.
I would have been screwed, as I had to used a bore brush to get the old one out.
@Wyatt Smith
You have the easiest rifle in the world to remedy the headspace on. Just unscrew the bolt head and go up 1 or 2 sizes. Job done and use a collet die for reloading the 303.
Bob

Been there, done that! Over used cheap brass was my issue.
No difference to me whether DG or PG when I go to Africa (or on any hunt!) I only use new or once reloaded brass. Too costly a trip to go cheap on loads!
I only hope the PH backing me does the same...LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross