Take Down Rifles?

lockingblock

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
It seems that there are a variety of opinions regarding the best way to build a take down Mauser.

From interrupted threads all the way to the Reimar Johannsen system, one must be better than the others.

Is one truly superior?

Not an expert on this subject at all sir. My question is why do you want a take down rifle? Not sure I understand the purpose except to conserve space.

Mainly travel. I've carried enough long gun cases to see the disadvantages a it would be nice to go smaller plus have caliber change options.

Blaser, Sauer, Mauser, Dakota and several others already make a good take down bolt action rifle. I doubt that having a custom one built would be worthwhile or better than what's already available, unless you really want an interesting project, in which case, I understand.

or go cheap, butt ugly but accurate and reliable. Thompson Dimension

I really, really need to do a couple of detailed reviews of my take-downs. :) The Merkel Helix seems to be getting a lot of play here. I'll take a few pix of mine this weekend.

Just remember guys, when it comes to take downs each segment that removes is a potential point of impact change. Some systems are better than others...IMO, the biggest single gap is the removal of the scope.

Thanks for the input. It will be a Mauser, of some variety...I know the Blasers are great, I just prefer traditional rifles.

On that front it seems that there are two basic schools of thought - barrels that screw in normally vs barrels with an extension that the locking lugs would lock into.

I wonder if one is superior.

You should take a look at HMS Strasser guns! From .22-250 up to .375 Ruger (458 Win. in near future).

I am anxious to see Sako's new takedown rifle!

Attachments

• Screenshot (278).png
    Screenshot (278).png
    597.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot (279).png
    Screenshot (279).png
    84.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot (280).png
    Screenshot (280).png
    57.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot (281).png
    Screenshot (281).png
    35 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot (282).png
    Screenshot (282).png
    36.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot (283).png
    Screenshot (283).png
    134.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you