Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA life member
Hunted
plains game
Good day to all. I wanted to share with you what was an incredible experience for me. I know many of you have hunted with a son or daughter but for those of you who haven't you're missing out on one of the greatest experiences you could have. In 2019 I invited my youngest daughter Annie to go with me on a return trip to hunt Namibia again. To say she was excited and accepted was an understatement. She commissioned a good friend of mine to build her a .308 on a Mauser action and I developed a handload for her to shoot. The next several months were spent gathering her gear and practicing shooting off sticks.
The trip was outstanding! To be with her when she harvested her first animal (a gold medal gemsbok) was priceless. The look of awe on her face as Africa revealed itself to her was beyond words. For me it gave me memories that I will cherish to my last day.
For the last part, understand I'm not blowing smoke up my tailpipe. I wrote an article about our hunt in African Hunting Gazette in the Nov.-Dec. issue It's titled Annie's Hunt. I think you'll enjoy it.
P7100014.JPG

Jorg thanks for the kind words. I kinda know how you feel. I offered my oldest daughter to go with us also. She loves to hunt too but has no desire to hunt Africa. I respect her wishes but it would have been a grand hunt to have had both of my daughters there. I leave in 5 weeks going back to Namibia. Wish Annie could be there with me but just taking on a new job she can't get away. Stay safe friend and keep your powder dry.

Nice Gemsbuck and great memories I'm sure. Congrats on getting her to go with you. I've had one son go with me and had an interesting trip. Well done.
Bruce

Jorg thanks for the kind words. I kinda know how you feel. I offered my oldest daughter to go with us also. She loves to hunt too but has no desire to hunt Africa. I respect her wishes but it would have been a grand hunt to have had both of my daughters there. I leave in 5 weeks going back to Namibia. Wish Annie could be there with me but just taking on a new job she can't get away. Stay safe friend and keep your powder dry.
I wish you the best of times in Namibia. Enjoy the adventure and good luck with putting critters in the salt. In the meantime I will be envious of you visiting my old home country :D Cheers:

Good day to all. I wanted to share with you what was an incredible experience for me. I know many of you have hunted with a son or daughter but for those of you who haven't you're missing out on one of the greatest experiences you could have. In 2019 I invited my youngest daughter Annie to go with me on a return trip to hunt Namibia again. To say she was excited and accepted was an understatement. She commissioned a good friend of mine to build her a .308 on a Mauser action and I developed a handload for her to shoot. The next several months were spent gathering her gear and practicing shooting off sticks.
The trip was outstanding! To be with her when she harvested her first animal (a gold medal gemsbok) was priceless. The look of awe on her face as Africa revealed itself to her was beyond words. For me it gave me memories that I will cherish to my last day.
For the last part, understand I'm not blowing smoke up my tailpipe. I wrote an article about our hunt in African Hunting Gazette in the Nov.-Dec. issue It's titled Annie's Hunt. I think you'll enjoy it.View attachment 398655
@Rick HOlbert
Welcome to the world of hunting with your kids. Nothing could be better. Your choice of rifles was ideal. My son also took a 308 to Namibia. His first animal was a Springbok. First animal of the trip and on fathers day to top it off.
I know how you feel.
Congratulations to her on a cracking Oryx/gemsbuck
Bob

@Rick HOlbert
Only thing better is to have a non hunting wife getting joy out of her son's accomplishments and genuinely congratulating him for them and thanking his father for the trip for them both.
Happiness and memories ×3
Bob

Bob thanks for those words. You know exactly how I feel. Annie also took an excellent Blue Wildebeest and a grand Black Wildebeest. Animals that have a reputation for soaking up lead. All one shot stops. What I was most proud of was half way through the hunt, my PH asked me if I had trained her as her gun handling and shooting was outstanding. I told him I had started training her and her sister at an early age. He told me it showed and that she handled herself like a seasoned hunter. I couldn't have been prouder of her.
58788ccc-383b-487d-b8dd-0f1b32abed9d.JPG

Bob thanks for those words. You know exactly how I feel. Annie also took an excellent Blue Wildebeest and a grand Black Wildebeest. Animals that have a reputation for soaking up lead. All one shot stops. What I was most proud of was half way through the hunt, my PH asked me if I had trained her as her gun handling and shooting was outstanding. I told him I had started training her and her sister at an early age. He told me it showed and that she handled herself like a seasoned hunter. I couldn't have been prouder of her.View attachment 398992
@Rick HOlbert
I know that feeling. I spent hours with my son shooting off sticks and field positions. It was great to get a compliment from our PH saying it was a pleasure to hunt with him because he listened to him on shot placement and was a remarkable shot and better than a lot of adults he has guided. Our PH spotted an Oryx that needed to be culled. After getting permission to shoot it for free the PH said it was unreal. Up came the rifle and down went the Oryx. NO sticks one shot.
Practice definitely pays off.
Bob

Bob we are both a couple of very fortunate guys. Take care. May your shots be true and your hunts be many.
@Rick HOlbert
Same to you mate. You never know your other daughter may hunt one day.
My daughter doesn't like hunting but loves the bush and target shooting of all things. When she gets her permit to acquire she will inherit her grandfather's 22 that she love so much.
Strange thing is with her, at her place she is vegetarian but when she comes home all she wants is game meat especially venison and goat.
Bob

LOL, Bob that's great! My oldest daughter loves to hunt but not in Africa. It's really funny though we're from south Louisiana so wild game has always been a staple. She moves to Rhode Island and not many folks there eat game (at least those I've met). But after 13 years she's introduced her friends to venison and squirrel cooked Cajun style. At present we're planning to meet somewhere to hunt deer together this coming season. By the way, my girls are not only my daughters they're also my 2 best friends!

LOL, Bob that's great! My oldest daughter loves to hunt but not in Africa. It's really funny though we're from south Louisiana so wild game has always been a staple. She moves to Rhode Island and not many folks there eat game (at least those I've met). But after 13 years she's introduced her friends to venison and squirrel cooked Cajun style. At present we're planning to meet somewhere to hunt deer together this coming season. By the way, my girls are not only my daughters they're also my 2 best friends!
@Rick HOlbert
That's good to hear mate. Nothing like bonding over a good hunt and time in the bush. My son now 16 loves going hunting but only to areas where there is no internet or phone reception, fortunately we have plenty of areas like that close by.
Bob

I took my daughter to Namibia in 2007 and then my boy went with me in 2013 to RSA and Namibia in 2017. They were both pretty stoked about it.

Bob it's been a pleasure speaking with you. You have a great day and look forward to speaking with you again in the future.
In the wise words of an old friend, shoot low sheriff they're riding Shetland ponies

I took my daughter to Namibia in 2007 and then my boy went with me in 2013 to RSA and Namibia in 2017. They were both pretty stoked about it.
Friend, that is just great! Our kids are hunting's future. If we don't pass on our love of hunting and the animals we harvest hunting will go away and with it the animals. Enjoy every minute you have with them for it is fleeting and can't be called back.

For the last part, understand I'm not blowing smoke up my tailpipe. I wrote an article about our hunt in African Hunting Gazette in the Nov.-Dec. issue It's titled Annie's Hunt. I think you'll enjoy it.View attachment 398655
You are right sir.....hunting with my son twice in Africa was simply the best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg