Take a look 17 Rem

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Image1674529122.442135.jpg

Loaded some 17 Rem tonight. Last few years been loading 375 H&H and 375 Rum. Kept dropping the little 25 grainers, and every powder drop I thought it got hung up in the tube. Lol.

Brought back a lot of great memories hunting fox with some old friends that are no longer with us, so had to share with you guys. Thanks.

I’ve owned a 17 Remington since the 1970’s fun caliber, at 150 yards you see a gopher explode before you finish pulling the trigger all the way back. The one downside is if you shoot in the rain your bullet may not make it to the target. Mind you this was with Hornady bullets from that time period, which I have over 500 still. With modern bullets it may be different.

I’ve owned a 17 Remington since the 1970’s fun caliber, at 150 yards you see a gopher explode before you finish pulling the trigger all the way back. The one downside is if you shoot in the rain your bullet may not make it to the target. Mind you this was with Hornady bullets from that time period, which I have over 500 still. With modern bullets it may be different.

I have a couple thousand old Remington 25 gr. Bullets. It is interesting to use some of the newer powders. Looks like I can get them to 4100 to 4200. Should make stuff pop. Lol

I love the 17 Rem, absolutely hate loading for it though, fingers are raw by the end of a session trying to seat those tiny bullets

I love the 17 Rem, absolutely hate loading for it though, fingers are raw by the end of a session trying to seat those tiny bullets

What powder are you using. Back in the day most were using 4320, we used H414. Didn’t get the velocity but very low pressure and accurate.

I loaded some for a friend with 2700 and shot good in his rifle. Am playing with CFE 223 in mine now very fast but but need to do some shooting to get good accuracy results.

What powder are you using. Back in the day most were using 4320, we used H414. Didn’t get the velocity but very low pressure and accurate.

I loaded some for a friend with 2700 and shot good in his rifle. Am playing with CFE 223 in mine now very fast but but need to do some shooting to get good accuracy results.
Jamie,
I will have to look, it has been years since I’ve loaded any of them. Probably be a long time before I burn up my stock of loaded ammo. I used it a lot when I lived in New Mexico hunting coyotes. The wind played hell with that little bullet so I always had a 6mm Rem handy to buck the wind on those days.
Cheers,
Cody

@Jamie D Van Roekel
That CFE223 sure is versatile, from 17 cal upto 35Whelen and 9.3x62 and bigger. Dang its good stuff..
Bob

@Jamie D Van Roekel
That CFE223 sure is versatile, from 17 cal upto 35Whelen and 9.3x62 and bigger. Dang its good stuff..
Bob

Have to play with it a bit to make sure it is safe, but have been getting 4300 with a 25 gr. Out of a 25 inch barrel. 200 more than anything else I have tried yet. Good stuff.

My grandpa has had a Remington 700 in 17 rem. I absolutely love that gun. Goes with us everywhere on the farm. Great for the coyotes and bobcats. Thankfully we bought a couple cases of ammo a year or so back. It’s extremely hard to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois