Synthetic stock for Model 70 Safari Express???

Eric Zelanko

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA, Namibia, Ontario, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, USA
Looking for a synthetic stock to swap between my Winchester Model 70 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag for upcoming hunts. I would really prefer to avoid beating up the factory walnut stocks. Other than McMillian, I'm not seeing a lot of options. Anyone have suggestions of a company making a drop in stock for the Safari Express?

I just did this for a 416 rem mag model 70. I used a Bell and Carlson stock. Barrel channel from the factory is for a smaller caliber sporter contour. I just used some 60 grit sand paper to follow along the channel and kept checking to the 416 would drop in. Then used a piece of paper to run under the barrel between the stock. Worked any spots where the paper would snag until I could get it all the way back and could tell the barrel was free floated. If you have a one piece bottom metal that’s all you need to do. If 2 piece bottom you will need one of these adapters to make it work as BC Stock inletted for one piece

You could also make some home made shims but won’t look very good and not worth it as the adapter is only a few bucks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.37.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.37.26 PM.png
    781.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.37.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.37.27 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
Ive used H-S precision for a high quality drop in many times.
Not sure of the Winchester offerings though. Worth a look

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.36.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.36.16 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.36.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.36.18 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 89
Eric:
I may have a synthetic Winchester stock for a heavy barrel M-70. I'll look tomorrow and get back to you.

+1 on H-S Precision. I have used their stocks on various hunting rifles that required rough usage, all weather stocks. Easy to fine tune the bedding. Just have to make sure the aluminum skeleton base fits your model. For opening up barrel channel if needed- I use various sizes of deep well or impact type sockets wrapped in sand paper.

They are very stiff and exactly what is required for a stable platform for best possible maintenance of POI and accuracy. They are not light weight but extremely tough and durable.

I think I can help you, I just bought a M70 375HH that came with a heavy barrel and I prefer to use a wood stock
pix210477896.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross