Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana and Namibia
Buffalo is one of the most revered Big Game species in Africa. It is given many names, some of them not so forgiving. The Black death, Widow maker, Dagga boy, Test of manhood and Nyati among others. This is an animal which usually raises the stakes on a hunting platform and it usually starts with the unforgiving dark stare.

There are still enough buffaloes , the hunt is not too difficult and many of us can afford it.

Many names that are given to him are not appropriate. IMHO , in itself it is a peaceful animal that fights for it's life when it is threatened or injured. It is a very strong animal and that's why it can be very dangerous , but it is not a bloodthirsty beast as some have already portrayed it.

But is quite vengeful

Not sure how an animal protecting itself with the tools it was given by God is vengeful? Dangerous yes, but vengeful, no. The Buffalo isn't capable of that.

Vengeance is a human emotion that is put on an animal in order to increase the romance of hunting them, nothing more.

I would be also if someone shoots at me !:)

Dang straight! :)

But is quite vengeful
Sometimes they are just having a bad day. Perhaps they unexpectedly stepped in a warthog hole, lost a fight with a younger bull and has been exiled from the herd, has a festering wound from a lion attack, or perhaps you unknowingly wandered between a cow and her calf. They don't have to be vengeful to be deadly and make what we consider unprovoked attacks (even if they don't see it that way).

Sometimes they are just having a bad day. Perhaps they unexpectedly stepped in a warthog hole, lost a fight with a younger bull and has been exiled from the herd, has a festering wound from a lion attack, or perhaps you unknowingly wandered between a cow and her calf. They don't have to be vengeful to be deadly and make what we consider unprovoked attacks (even if they don't see it that way).

I have read (sorry, but can't cite a source), that buffalo are capable of remembering individuals (e.g., a particular PH) that have been involved in hunting them or another in their herd. If they do, that may be yet another explanation for seemingly 'unprovoked" attacks. Can anyone here shed any light on that idea?

I have read (sorry, but can't cite a source), that buffalo are capable of remembering individuals (e.g., a particular PH) that have been involved in hunting them or another in their herd. If they do, that may be yet another explanation for seemingly 'unprovoked" attacks. Can anyone here shed any light on that idea?
:confused:

"unprovoked attacks " by buffaloes often have a reason.

Last year a friend of mine had a good offer to hunt a buff that was attacking everybody in sight and so had to be shot as soon as possible.

I went with him, he shot the buff, and after skinning we found the reason for the "unprovoked attacks". The poor beast had previously been shot with a 6mm bullet, probably a .243.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg