sxs shotguns: 20 vs 12 for game?

I vote for a 20. They are just sweet. Although a 12 is more universal, you really do need multiple double barrel shotguns anyway. And you're young yet so whichever you choose, you end up with the other and a 16 and 28 also;)

Take a look at the CZ offerings sometime if you want a nice functional double at a reasonable cost.
I actually have a cz canvasback in 20, it’s a sweet little gun and has killed a lot of dove.

I borrowed some photos and and excerpt from the article. I’ll share a link to the fair website as well in a separate post.

View attachment 420351
View attachment 420352

The Iside I tested is manufactured similarly to its pricier, if not somewhat prettier sister the Iside Prestige, but without quite as many upscale cosmetics and with a few differences in features. According to FAIR, the Iside I tested was a lower-cost base model. With this model, you get a shotgun at a price point you won’t lose sleep over if you are taking afield, where it may get the occasional weather or brush abuse. It is available in 12-, 16-, 20-, 28-gauge and .410. There’s an option for whatever your heart desires.
View attachment 420359
SPECS

• Type: Side-by-side, breechloading shotgun
  • Capacity: 2 rds.
  • Bore: 20 gauge; 3-in.
  • Barrel Length: 28 in.
  • Overall Length: 45.5 in.
  • Weight: 5 lbs., 8 oz.
  • Stock: Oil finished
  • Sights: Silver bead
  • MSRP: $1,450

Thanks...pretty little gun

I like the look of the upgraded models but the base model is the only one with double triggers which is a feature I want.
Manufacturers website says single or double trigger available to Prestige model. Extractors are a PIA.

"Featuring all steel construction and chopper-lump barrels, the heart of every Iside shotgun exemplifies pure yet robust elegance. From this base emerge options of 12, 16, 20, 28 gauge, and 410 bore, side plates, color case hardening, engravings and inlays, extractors or ejectors, single or double triggers, and a variety of wood grades from visually pleasing to breathtaking. Represented in wood and steel, Egyptian goddess Iside returns….

Manufacturers website says single or double trigger available to Prestige model. Extractors are a PIA.

"Featuring all steel construction and chopper-lump barrels, the heart of every Iside shotgun exemplifies pure yet robust elegance. From this base emerge options of 12, 16, 20, 28 gauge, and 410 bore, side plates, color case hardening, engravings and inlays, extractors or ejectors, single or double triggers, and a variety of wood grades from visually pleasing to breathtaking. Represented in wood and steel, Egyptian goddess Iside returns….
I think you’re right about that. I’ll definitely consider the higher grades. I like a little engraving on a gun.

"Featuring all steel construction and chopper-lump barrels, the heart of every Iside shotgun exemplifies pure yet robust elegance…
Chopper lump barrels? Really?

I’m currently shopping for a sxs but have never owned one before. I’m curious what gauges people prefer for hunting with them.

Having only ever used pumps, autos, and o/us I’m unsure how the gauge will effect the sight picture and handling of the gun as it’s obviously different from the others that I’m familiar with.

Now if I’m only going to exclusively shoot upland with it, I would probably stick to 20 like I have for my preferred dove guns but moving up to 12 would give me the option of using the waterfowl and turkey loads that I already own and which are more commonly available for sale here (I use a pump for these currently).

Thanks in advance.
Well if you want to shoot everything a 12ga is great. If you are doing a lot of mostly quail and dove then a 20ga may be a better choice so you don’t blow them up as bad

Well if you want to shoot everything a 12ga is great. If you are doing a lot of mostly quail and dove then a 20ga may be a better choice so you don’t blow them up as bad
Quail and dove are the big things here. Maybe the occasional ditch parrot in el centro.

Not really, H&H, Purdey and Westley Richards all use Chopper Lump.
My point exactly. The ultimate shotgun barrels are chopper lump. They are expensive to manufacture and more time consuming to fit properly. I wonder how they can be designed into a modestly priced gun?

I vote for a nice 12 Gauge ( 3 ” Magnum chambers ) Beretta Model 486 Parallelo Boxlock Ejector . Among currently commercially manufactured side by side shotguns , it is one of the finest . Light , well balanced and versatile enough to employ for both upland game AND waterfowl .

Out of all of my firearms , the 12 Gauge sees the most frequent use throughout the year . And recoil will never bother you in a properly built , well fitted 12 Gauge shotgun . My personal shotgun is a 12 Gauge ( 3 “ Magnum ) Sidelock Ejector built by Janssen Freres in Belgium in 1932 . Proofed for 42 grams of shot and with fairly open chokes , it does beautifully on both upland birds and waterfowl . When loaded with LG shells , it’s also quite handy for driven deer or driven boar .

BA549A57-E22E-4BE6-A3F6-3F0813F8E6C1.jpeg
5F7BBCC4-380A-4D50-8AE2-7FF26EDD5817.jpeg

Last edited:

I got an email from fair and they said I could order one with double triggers.

I’m think of the EM with double triggers.

1630336031985.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.