Swift A Frame on Eland

Fr8liner

AH veteran
Reaction score
I had the fortune to hunt an eland with my double this weekend in 450NE.
image.jpeg

Using 350grain Swift Aframe, he ran possibly 200m after 110m shot. Two follow up shots did not hit the mark but it was clear he was going down. To save any suffering I ended it with a solid to the neck.
Recovered bullet lodged IN the skin on the other side.
image.jpeg

Bullet weight was 336 grains.

We then went after wildebeast for my mate to shoot with his 400/350 built on a 1909 break action Lewis rifle. Absolutely beautiful, he honored it with a magnificent stalk on a lone animal in the rain which went down with one shot and a follow up for surety. We then bumped another bull which we tracked in circles and unfortunately did not get with one shot from the Lewis, possible twig deflection shooting long range with open sites.
The 450NE came to help with a shot from behind in the lower spine that lodged in the ball of the front left shoulder.
image.jpeg

This bullet weighed 318grains.

Below there are two AFrames one from each - eland, wildebeast and a 450grain Barnes from a buffalo.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Was really great to test the double as an all rounder which I think it proved.
Except for the weight it certainly does not have any limitations for me as my go to rifle now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks for sharing! Congrats

Looks like the A-Frames did what they're supposed to do!

Lekker man!

Overall do you prefer the A frame to the barnes?

Swift A-Frame Tested, A-Frame Approved

300 gr Swift A-Frame from a Sako 375 H&H. The first shot looks a little far back, but the eland was quarterly away from me, so it might not be off by much. The eland ran into the thick brush, up the hill from us and then stopped broadside to us. I was able to quickly get the second shot off and the eland dropped where it stood.

I like Swift A-Frame bullets! I use them in my 270, 30-06, 338 and 375.

upload_2016-12-3_15-57-25.png

I had the fortune to hunt an eland with my double this weekend in 450NE.
View attachment 165424
Using 350grain Swift Aframe, he ran possibly 200m after 110m shot. Two follow up shots did not hit the mark but it was clear he was going down. To save any suffering I ended it with a solid to the neck.
Recovered bullet lodged IN the skin on the other side.
View attachment 165426
Bullet weight was 336 grains.

We then went after wildebeast for my mate to shoot with his 400/350 built on a 1909 break action Lewis rifle. Absolutely beautiful, he honored it with a magnificent stalk on a lone animal in the rain which went down with one shot and a follow up for surety. We then bumped another bull which we tracked in circles and unfortunately did not get with one shot from the Lewis, possible twig deflection shooting long range with open sites.
The 450NE came to help with a shot from behind in the lower spine that lodged in the ball of the front left shoulder.
View attachment 165427
This bullet weighed 318grains.

Below there are two AFrames one from each - eland, wildebeast and a 450grain Barnes from a buffalo.
View attachment 165428 View attachment 165430

Was really great to test the double as an all rounder which I think it proved.
Except for the weight it certainly does not have any limitations for me as my go to rifle now.

nice was that on "bloods" place?

@375 Ruger Fan I knew I had seen a similar post that I wanted to hijack :S Hijack:. Couldn't decide where to put my report and ended up building my own. Thanks for linking yours.:A Banana:
I am sold on the Aframe @johnnyblues
Although both bullets did the job without any issues. I had Barnes perform very well on a wildebeast in my 9.3 and in the 450NE on a giraffe.

There is just something I like about the lead core bullets though, old school ?

image.jpeg

These 270 gr . 375H&H Swift A Frame bullets were recovered from Gemsbok shot this year. The first shot at approximately 230 meters, the second at approximately 40 meters. Both showed over 90% weight retention. Muzzle velocity 2600 fps. I love these bullets!

good work, the A-frame is my favourite lead core bullet! but for me the monolithic bullets just got me at the first try

I like the monolithics in all my "fast"calibers, 300WM, 220 Swift, etc. In all my others I prefer a quality bonded bullet such as Swift and Woodleigh. I also shoot normal cup and core Hornady 175 gr RNSP in my favorite 7x57. Ultimately it all boils down to shot placement. There is no such thing as a magic bullet!

Looks like the a frames worked, I've never used them but also never seen a bad report on them. also love the Eland bulls, they have to be my favourite African animal! beautiful bulls! congratulations! and 1 day I hope to invest in a nice double!

I'm glad you used enough gun. I tried to take a eland with 7mm Rem Mag and 160 A-frame. First shot was broadside to the ribs at 150 yds. and it didn't penetrate the ribs. It took a chase and 3 more shots to bring him down. One shot I blew a cactus in two which was my fault, I didn't see it looking into the sun. The final shot was a high shoulder shot from above and that dropped him. I still like A-frame though, it was maybe bad luck.

Good looking elands guys.

Love the A-Frames. Here's a picture of a factory Remington 375 H&H 300g A-Frame after penetrating a brown bear diagonally starting at the right front shoulder and ending in the hide of the left rear thigh. Still weighed 299.5 grains. It was basically at muzzle velocity since I shot the bear at 13 yards. I've switched from Barnes 570g TSX's in my 500 Jeffery to 570g A-Frames. No knock on Barnes, just really like the A-Frames.

Attachments

• P1010022.jpg
    P1010022.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 312
  • P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 300
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois