Swift A-frame 270grs .375H&H good for Buffalo & Lion?

Bonde

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI and NSK
Hunted
Norway, Poland, Czeck Republic, Croatia, Canada, Scotland and New Zealand
Wonder if the lighter 270grs Swift A-frame would be a wise choice for buffalo and lion? Would like to use the same bullet for those and plains game.
Would I be better off with let us say a softer 300 grs Woodleigh softs? (Along with 300grs FMJ for multiple shots at the buff?)

Wonder if the lighter 270grs Swift A-frame would be a wise choice for buffalo and lion? Would like to use the same bullet for those and plains game.
Would I be better off with let us say a softer 300 grs Woodleigh softs? (Along with 300grs FMJ for multiple shots at the buff?)
I would check with your PH about what they want you to bring. Some will not want you to have any solids at all, preferring only softs. That said, the Woodleighs are pretty soft until you get up into the big bores where velocity is fairly low (<2,300 fps) I shoot the .416 340 grain woodleighs PPs at 2550 and they flatten out pretty good but I have never had one come apart. I would put the 270 grain A-Frame a little ahead of the 300 grain woodleigh. If you slow the aframe down to 2600fps, it will likely penetrate better.

A-frames good, I would bump it up to 300 grain.

My plan is to use a 300gr projectile in my 375 when I do a buff hunt in 2019 (either an A-frame or a Barnes TSX.. I am still undecided and will be practicing and grouping both several times between now and Summer '19).

That said, when I was in SA on my last safari, we had a guy in camp take a buff with a Barnes 250gr TTSX in his .375 Ruger... There was zero penetration/expansion problem from what I could tell, and the PH and outfitter had no problem with him hunting with a "light" 375 projectile. Im betting a 270gr A-Frame would more than do the trick as well if thats what shoots best in your rifle..

On that same trip I was using my .375 H&H on PG and used 270 gr Nosler Partitions and had zero problems. My guess is for the PG part of your hunt a 270gr A-Frame would be even more effective..

If 270gr A-Frames group well in your gun, and your PH doesnt have a problem with them, I'd say go for it... I personally wouldnt hesitate to use a 270gr A-Frame on a buff..

On the lion the 270 grain would be fine, I would go with 300 gr Swift A frames for the buffalo though. I used them on my buff hunt devastating internal damage. Lion are much softer skinned. I suggest Northfork solids as your back up bullet on buff. That combination is lethal! But again bullet placement is critical.

Rather use the 300 gr Swift A-frame. It will perform better on DG. It also shoots plenty flat enough for plains game. If you cannot hit it with the 300 grainer the 270 grainer ain't going to make you make the shot.

In my 375 Ruger, I hunt with the 300 gr Swift AFrames. I've shot some 270 gr bullets, but decided to keep it simple and stick with the 300 gr. I have been tempted though to try some 250 gr monolith type bullet, just for fun and grins on the range.

I used a .300grs Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bearclaw for my buffalo, a friend of mine used the same bullet on a lioness in the same hunt and both performed perfectly.

I suppose a Swift AFrame in the same weight woul be as effective. I use it in 210grs with my .338WM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg