Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 Carl Gustafson action, is it good? What caliber build?

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day to all members...I have some questions about a Swedish Mauser action/Carl Gustafson ...:
How good is this action?
What caliber would you suggest I build on this action??
I really would like it very much if members will assist me in these questions since I am more familiar with Mauser actions as well as Mannlicher Schoenauer actions....
full
full

Hickok45 did a video on a few of these rifles.

Another video: How to identity and interpret the various stock disk found on Swedish mausers

I'd not change it.

6.5x55 is da bomb!

Members, thank you kindly it is good to have your opinions and suggestions in this regards..great, then it will be 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser rifle build..fortunately I just bought a Shilen , heavy sportster profile 6.5 cal barrel, 28" long with a 1:8 rifling twist..so I think this will be a sweet shooting , low recoil, most accurate rifle when completing the build..(y)(y)(y)

As I understand it, the Gustafson actions are stronger than the Krag Jorgensens. You should be able to load to SE pressures without any trouble.

As I understand it, the Gustafson actions are stronger than the Krag Jorgensens. You should be able to load to SE pressures without any trouble.
I am thinking of buying a Auckley Improved reamer in the 6.5x55 Swedish ...I do not think that the improved version will have any increase in pressure???

Gert, FORGET the AI option. It isn't necessary in the least. The 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser is my go to rifle for all small to medium sized game. Properly loaded that old caliber will hold its' own with any of the newer 6.5 options like the Creedmore. I get 2775 FPS from my hand loads pushing a 140 Gr. Nosler Partition. They also shoot the 156 Gr. Norma Oryx very well. The original 1896 Swedish Mauser design had a twist rate of 1/7.8" just slightly faster than your modern Shilen barrel.

IDK.

2500-2600 fps is plenty of velocity for 155 Mega, 156 Oryx, and 160 Woodleigh PP.

I am thinking of buying a Auckley Improved reamer in the 6.5x55 Swedish ...I do not think that the improved version will have any increase in pressure???
Can’t answer to pressure Gert but cool to hear your running with the 6.5 as nature intended...(haha!)
Truly a remarkable caliber.
Kind Regs,
Simon.

Gert, FORGET the AI option. It isn't necessary in the least. The 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser is my go to rifle for all small to medium sized game. Properly loaded that old caliber will hold its' own with any of the newer 6.5 options like the Creedmore. I get 2775 FPS from my hand loads pushing a 140 Gr. Nosler Partition. They also shoot the 156 Gr. Norma Oryx very well. The original 1896 Swedish Mauser design had a twist rate of 1/7.8" just slightly faster than your modern Shilen barrel.
Shootist43, thank you kindly for your input , it is much appreciated...the only reason I am looking at this AI Improve is as follows:
I can buy a AI Improve reamer for the same price.
The real advantage of an AI Improve system is that the barrel life is increased, chamber lower pressure ...
Here is some info by another member on a forum" Don't forget though, some of the best benefits aren't on the performance side but have to do with increased barrel/throat life, longer case life, and more consistent burns. All very good things in addition to the potential velocity gains. And with the PO you can shoot the standard cartridge in the new chamber to fire form and usually still get fine accuracy. With Ackley improvements the datum line stays the same for head-spacing. This makes fire forming very easy and also allows the use of store bought ammo if needed.
Sources indicate that you can only expect about 12% increase in muzzle velocity...which is not much , the advantages in a longer barrel life makes it an exceptable issue to me ..
(y)(y)

I will commence shortly with the build of the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser ...the 8 x68S and 6.5 x 55 SW Mauser will probably arrive together if the Shilen company get it done before July..(y)

Can’t answer to pressure Gert but cool to hear your running with the 6.5 as nature intended...(haha!)
Truly a remarkable caliber.
Kind Regs,
Simon.
Simon, good to hear from you..(y)(y) Yes, I am looking forward to use this light recoiling, accurate rifle to use for hunts and fun shooting..

Sarge, what powder are you using with the 155-160gr projes?
I’d always favoured ADI AR2213 (now slightly slower SC) a little compressed.

Just got some Woodleigh 160s delivered a couple days ago; after talking to @Shootist43 about it, I'm thinking H4350. Over here, the only heavy 6.5 bullets readily available at all times are the Megas. I was holding out for Norma or Woodleigh to be back in stock.

Using IMR 4831 for Hornady 143 and Partition 125, at ~2500 and ~2780 fps, respectively. I'm stacking bullets with the Hornady load, so no plans to try and push them any harder.

And where I hunt, the timber is SO thick, if I end up with a great group at 2400 with the Woodleighs, I'll probably stop there. The longest shot on our place is 100 yards, give or take a little. Mostly, it's under 50 yards.

Shootist43, thank you kindly for your input , it is much appreciated...the only reason I am looking at this AI Improve is as follows:
I can buy a AI Improve reamer for the same price.
The real advantage of an AI Improve system is that the barrel life is increased, chamber lower pressure ...
Here is some info by another member on a forum" Don't forget though, some of the best benefits aren't on the performance side but have to do with increased barrel/throat life, longer case life, and more consistent burns. All very good things in addition to the potential velocity gains. And with the PO you can shoot the standard cartridge in the new chamber to fire form and usually still get fine accuracy. With Ackley improvements the datum line stays the same for head-spacing. This makes fire forming very easy and also allows the use of store bought ammo if needed.
Sources indicate that you can only expect about 12% increase in muzzle velocity...which is not much , the advantages in a longer barrel life makes it an exceptable issue to me ..
(y)(y)

12% is a pretty big jump. It would take you from say 2500 fps to 2800 fps. For bullets at 140 gr and smaller, sure seems like you're going to be north of 3K fps

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 12.18.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 12.18.21 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 318
Last edited:
My apologies members, I am not excluding your opinions, please assist me in this scenario...here are extremely knowledgeable members on this forum, I really would like to know what combination of 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser reamer do I need to purchase.. reamer with solid pilto or reamer with premium pilot. What is the differences in these options as indicated on the web page of PTG ... I will be hunting with this rifle as well as shooting target and ghongs...
It would be appreciated very , very much if anyone can assist me in making the correct choice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg