Swedish guy, new in SA

Gustav Butlex

Reaction score
Hello there,

My name is Gustav and im a Swedish photographer, currently based in South Africa for a couple of months. I stumbled upon your website just now, seemed like a huge one so I figured you could help me answer a question.

I wonder if it's possible to join a hunt, as an observer (not knowing anyone of the hunters) and make a photo- series?

The important subject for me is not the animals, but the hunters and their approach to it all.

So if anyone if you guys know a company or maybe a private hunter who you think could be up for this kinda thing. Or just give me information, feel free to give me a shout!

Best regards,

Lot of outfitters on this site but many of them are in the states right now at hunting shows. It's also the rainy season over there so the number of hunts going on could be very small. In the end it would be the hunters who need to agree to you being there taking pictures if them and they are going to question your motive sir.
Good luck.

Welcome!

In addition to what CAustin points out you may also want to mention what part of the country you're in. This would help if an outfitter/hunter is interested.

Thanks guys! Ahh, I see. But im gonna be here until June, is the hunting season gonna kick in during that period?

Yes, I understand that CAustin. Thats always the question when taking anyones photo, in any situation. But I guess what im asking is your personal opinion on the matter.

Oh yes of course. Im based in Johannesburg!

Welcome to AH Gustav! You would need to get the hunter to agree to it...

Welcome to AH Gustav. The hunting season starts to get into full swing in May and is on through at least September. I have to echo the sentiments of others regarding your intentions. I apologize if offense is taken if it seems I or others appear to be suspicious, but there are reasons for this.

It seems from your original post that you are a working photographer on assignment in South Africa versus just a tourist. If so, what specifically is your assignment? What publication do you work for? If you were working for a hunting publication, you would surely have known when the hunting season in RSA was before showing up. One reason for caution from my point of view.

I personally would want more specific information on what your intentions are and I would definitely want some sort of contract that would detail how the pictures were to be used. If you were to attend a hunt as an observer, the outfitter I would presume and rightly so, would want to have some say in this situation also.

To be a bit more blunt, I would not on the brief information you've provided allow you to come on my hunt, take pictures and then use them with my face in the pictures to paint hunting in a twisted light to aid the anti-hunting morons in their agenda.

Again, my apology if this is not your intention and my suspiciousness is unwarranted.

Thanks for the answer Phil. All those questions I would of course answer if someone is seriously interested and got the possibility to let me in on a hunt.

As you said, hunting is a profession/hobby that has been shown in a certain light in the media, in Sweden anyway. So your suspicion is very much warranted. And I do not at all mind you asking them.

Im a freelance photographer and a student of photojournalism, not working for any newspaper. My intention is to sell it to Swedish hunting magazines, as the SA experience is very much exotic for us swedes.

Welcome to AH, Gustav, wish you success in your project.

Welcome Gustav,

You have already received good advice from a clients point of view and I share their concern regarding your motives etc.

If your plan was to photograph a Hunting Safari then surely you would have done some homework before coming to the country.

Your best option would be to bring/refer Swedish (or other) clients you know and then join the party as a paying Observer or work something out with the Outfitter for free advertising.

Regards

Welcome to AH Gustav! May / June is in the middle of the hunting season like stated before you will have to talk with some Outfitters and get the hunters to agree with it as well. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for all the answers, you've all been very helpful. And to be honest this was an impulsive post just to see the response/interest! :)

Best regards,

upload_2015-1-29_16-59-59.jpeg

Hi Gustav, welcome to the forums. Most outfitters charge a daily rate for the cameraman to join on a hunt to cover food and lodging, FYI.

You've had quite the experience already Gustav.
Sad you got a true Joburg experience of being robbed.
Glad you get away with your skin intact.
Did you get the guys picture?

A few of your assignments appear to be covering the darker side.

Getting into the bush might just be a welcome relief.

You've had quite the experience already Gustav.
Sad you got a true Joburg experience of being robbed.
Glad you get away with your skin intact.
Did you get the guys picture?

A few of your assignments appear to be covering the darker side.

Getting into the bush might just be a welcome relief.

:E Huh: jeez wayne now you are getting even more spookier!!!!:E Frightened:

:E Huh: jeez wayne now you are getting even more spookier!!!!:E Frightened:

There are only so many internships at the Guardian for Photographers! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!