SWEDEN: Excellent Driven Hunt Day

9x57

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
I went for a driven hunt south of Stockholm yesterday. A pretty dull an grey morning started the day, but the list of allowed game (wild boar, fallow dear, red deer, bull moose, fox) made it easy to get out of bed.
First stand was tight and fast shots was expected. I saw about 10 fallow deer on this stand, but they were all to fast. The fun part was that my best friend shot his two first fallow deer on an other stand.
Adjustments.jpg

5 deer was shot by 11 hunters on this part of the hunt.
After a short gathering a new stand was taken. I remembered that a lot of game passed this stand the last time I was here hunting, so the expectations were high.
I didn’t have to wait long before a group of fallow dear showed themselves on the field in front of me. The rest was firm an I was calm. The 150 grain Accubond from my 30-06 dropped the calf in its tracks at aprox. 120m.
I quickly filled the magazine with a new round and lokked up. Now a big boar was aproaching me in front. It was about 200m away, but I really could see that it was a male boar. I didn’t want to take a front shot, so I had to wait until it passed me at 10m. One shot above the front legs and it dropped.
IMG_0147.JPG

Full of adrenaline I filled up the gun with fresh ammo.
It took about 10 minutes until a new group of fallow deer took their way out in the field to my right. A little ”grount” from me made them stop, and I dropped a ”spike”. What a stand!
Adjustments.jpg

The last part of the was fast because of the lack of daylight in the Swedish winter. But this was my lucky day and I shot a fallow calf.
IMG_0151.JPG

A quick report from the best hunt of my life so far.
A big excuse if my English isn’t understandable.

Attachments

• Adjustments.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 216
Last edited by a moderator:
Very good hunt. Congrats.
Bruce

What was used for driving the animals? People or a dog?

In Finland, hunters worry for their dogs. Apparently, some wolves have learned to eat dogs.

9x57, the photos of your hunt speak for themselves, your English is very understandable. It seems to me that most educated Europeans speak at least two languages while those that speak English (including American) only speak one. I'm glad you had a good hunt and that you shared it with us. Do you have any future hunts planned. BTW I found it a bit ironic that you used a 30-06 which is purely and American round while I on the other hand would prefer to use my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser to take those same animals.

Excellent report.
What a great hunt. Driven hunting looks like an incredible experience.
(As always, your English is better than my Swedish.)

What was used for driving the animals? People or a dog?

In Finland, hunters worry for their dogs. Apparently, some wolves have learned to eat dogs.

They used like 4 dogs in each area. Just making the animals move. No wolves in this area, but I agree, wolves are a big problem for our dogs and hunting.

9x57, the photos of your hunt speak for themselves, your English is very understandable. It seems to me that most educated Europeans speak at least two languages while those that speak English (including American) only speak one. I'm glad you had a good hunt and that you shared it with us. Do you have any future hunts planned. BTW I found it a bit ironic that you used a 30-06 which is purely and American round while I on the other hand would prefer to use my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser to take those same animals.

I also speak a bit German.
I have never owned a 6,5x55, but I do have 2 30-06 at the moment. Actually, 30-06 are together with 308 win and 6,5x55 the most common cartridges in Sweden.
30-06 have always been my number one.

No specific hunting trips planned. But I will try to get a boar one night this week at my ”home hunting ground”.

A driven hunt somewhere in central europe or scandanavia is definitely on my short list of things to do.. I dont think I'll get it done in 2020 (other hunts already planned and paid for).. but, its a serious possibility in 2021...

it looks like you had a great time @9x57 ! Thanks for the report!

Congrats on a successful hunt. Love that hog!!!

Good hunt!

Congratulations 9x57, sounds like a fantastic hunt. It is hard to find fault with the old .30'06 as performance has always been top notch for me as well.:D

9x57, what make is your 7x57? What do you plan to hunt with it?

WOW! What a successful hunt! Great shooting! I love the 30-06! Though I have others, I keep returning to the old ‘06.
I use to practice a lot before big game season on running jackrabbits. Got to where I could consistently hit 2-3 out of 5. I always wanted to try a driven hunt.
Congratulations on your outstanding success!

I really like your 7x57. Is it a double rifle or combination rifle/shotgun?

Last edited:
Its a Tikka m77k combination gun 12/7x57R, made in the late 70:s and bought new by my father 1980. He ’s now old, so I bought it from him.
I am acctully out now trying to get a roe deer or a hare when the sun sets. Loaded with 175 grains Hornady RN, and a shell with US6.
IMG_0229.JPG

I have a BRNO Super. It too is a combination gun, it is 12 / 7 x 65R. Like you said, good for whatever shows up.

Congratulations, wonderful round I've heard it has even killed elephants.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg