Swarovski Z5

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I’ve wanted a Swarovski scope for a while but I’ve heard of one or 2 people who have had or know of several that have been poor quality.

I know anything can fail or you might get a Lemon.

Does this happen very often with Swarovski?

The latest was a bloke saying he and his mates had a couple of Duds, but he says Z5 was the common denominator.

He also said he has a Z8i and could not be happier. He still Ike’s the brand but has had a run of trouble with Z5.

What I like is the glass, the clarity and the light for class weight of the scopes.

Can anyone add good or bad experiences.

Also. I see Swarovski listed for sale in different models. Z5 being of interest, price jumps again from there.

On the Swarovski website I see Z5 (I) listed and no Z5.

It does not appear to be illuminated. I cannot find a reference to the (I) designation.

Would the (I) designate improved? That’s my best guess. I can’t see it mentioned. Have they made an improvement and not promoted it. Did they rectify a shortcoming by offering an improved model?

I think they are only a 10 year warranty opposed to say the Leupold Lifetime warranty, if it I reliable you might never need it but if they has some issues with Z5 has it been improved?

The (i) means it is an illuminated reticle model so it has illumination control buttons in a raised housing on the top of the rear eye piece. These are Z5i, X5i, Z6i and Z8i models.
As a standard non illuminated reticle version (without the illumination controls on the top of rear eye piece) they are models designated as Z3, Z5, Z6.
All X5i and Z8i models are illuminated.
A lot of Swarovski's are available with and without illuminated reticles except Z3 models.
These Z3 do not have the option of an illuminated reticle.
If they have a BT in the part number then they have a ballistic turret on the elevation.
The newer Z8i have the ability to add a ballistic turret and a windage turret if you need one as an option. They do not have to be ordered with the BT from the factory. It can be attached at any time you you would like to add this feature.
In my opinion the Z3 and Z5 are nice scopes with clarity similar to the VX-5HD and VX-6HD models from Leupold.
The Z3 are all light relatively compact scopes. Z5i are a little longer in length because of their magnification range.
The Z6i is next level up in clarity and Z8i are the sharpest scopes I have ever looked through.
This clarity gold medal used to go to my Zeiss Victory HT model until I used a Swarovski Z8i.
But the price of these scopes rises as the clarity does.

I have four Swarovski scopes Z3, Z5, Z6 ee, and Z8i. They are all excellent scopes. I have run into two issues with them:

1) the Z6 and Z8 have larger diameter eyepieces than my Leupold VX6s. As a result the Swarovski’s cannot be mounted as low as the leupolds because of bolt clearance.

2) the Swarovski Z5, Z6 and Z8 have significantly less windage and elevation adjustment than my leupolds. I had to put a 20 moa rail on one rifle and revert to a Leupold on another because of this. (I refuse to put a rail on a custom gun!).

I have several z3 and z6 scopes all are great. I have never had or heard of one that was poor quality but I suppose it is possible.

I’ve wanted a Swarovski scope for a while but I’ve heard of one or 2 people who have had or know of several that have been poor quality.

I know anything can fail or you might get a Lemon.

Does this happen very often with Swarovski?

The latest was a bloke saying he and his mates had a couple of Duds, but he says Z5 was the common denominator.

He also said he has a Z8i and could not be happier. He still Ike’s the brand but has had a run of trouble with Z5.

What I like is the glass, the clarity and the light for class weight of the scopes.

Can anyone add good or bad experiences.
I have a Z5 and am completely impressed with it. Also, the Swarovski warranty is second to none.

I have 6 Swaros from the old PV to z8i. I know warranty ( though never had a quality issue) and service is excellent and lifetime even if your not original owner. The illuminated dot is excellent on the i models. @WAB is correct eyepiece needs a medium mount for easy bolt operation.

I have two z5's and love them both, have not had trouble of any sort and my gear gets used. They are on a 7mm stw and a .300 win mag and both have\use custom ballistic turrets. Hunting mule deer this month and at last light me and friend watched a buck at 400 ish yards. His leupold v6 was just as clear as my z5 was. Double check that warranty! Sending scopes back to the factory can be a big deal depending on where you live and where the factory is-For me the leupold factory is much easier! I have personally not had to send a swarovski product for warranty work. I would not hesitate to buy another swarovski z5 or leupold vx6 or either of those company's upper end products.

Thanks, it’s all interesting.

I am sure I read comments about a few Z5 not holding Zero.

I also spoke with someone who said he Nd his mates had issues with Z5 not holding Zero. Repaired and old to get z6-z8

Glass and clarity never seem to be an issue.

I have a Z3 and a Z5 and like them both. No issues with either one so far, although I’ve only had them for about a year. As Travis2282 stated, the crosshairs are a little finer than I prefer.

We have 3 Z8i's.
Couldn't be happier.

The warranty for the Z8i is 10 years.
But only 2 years on the illumination.

Thanks all.
On the Z5(I) question when I looked at the Official Swarovski site and opened the Z5(I) tab I can see Z5 are listed under that tab .
So both illuminated Z5(I) non illuminated are listed under the same tab. Pictured below.

D51B9918-4979-4772-901E-19A44D24CA56.png

I’m also looking at this scope, my only reservation is it being a 1” tube. How noticeable of a difference does this make?

I have some in 3.5-18 and love them. The adjustable reticle and 4W. Shot a springbok at 524 yards. A pronghorn at 442, and a walking coyote at 350. Plus lots closer.

I have a few Swarovski scopes. Though cannot really speak to the reliability, and I am not a turret twisters. I do have Z6’s, illuminated extended eye relief on a 458 Lott. A few of the Z6 non-illuminated Plex on rifles from 7mm through 338 Winchester.
There is 2 generations of the Plex reticles. after buying a demo with the 1st generation reticle, I see why. The 2nd generation Plex may be my favorite 2nd focal plane reticle, as in the 1.7-10x42mm Z6. I returned that 1st generation scope, reticle sucked for low light.
The Z6 1.7-10x42 non-illuminated Plex is definitely one of my favorites as to optically and reticle with 2nd generation Plex. And that is comparing it to several upper end scopes that I have. The wide field of view on lower powers makes it a very versatile scope for me.

I’m also looking at this scope, my only reservation is it being a 1” tube. How noticeable of a difference does this make?
Opinions vary but a 1" tube probably will no affect hunting in reasonable ranges.
It should not affect light transmission it brightness.
It will be lighter in weight than a comparable 30mm tube.
It may have less turret adjust many than a 30mm tube back to my opening comment.
I think it's an ideal scope and comparing it to the 3.5-18x44 which is a couple of hundred more it's personal preference.
Some comparable Leupold are just as expensive .If it's low light performance you want the 2.4-12c50 should be great and is still 12X if you need magnification.
The 3.5-18x44 loses some light gathering and at high magnification it's a trade off as field of view lessens giving the perception of not being as bright. Still brighter than lesser quality glass..
I think 2,4 for close contact with pigs is ideal, 12x for a Dingo will be ample at 300.
Mountain hunters might want longer shots higher magnification.
One or the other might suit me .
What are your hunting conditions?
There is always a trade off but I think the 2.4-12x50 is a good all rounder
The Swarovski model names indicate their intended application but that's open to preference

The Forest hunter 2.4-12x50 might suit low light, driven hunt and occasional long shot

The Mountain hunter 3.5-18x44 Might be fapoured by people looking for low weight, high magnification , long shots on sheep, Tahr etc. Or some long range hunting of goats

The prairie hunter 5-25x52, clearly intended as Varmint scope.

Use them how you will pending your needs.

For the money they might be the best value high end optics . All subjective to preference s but pending your hunting style .

Maybe any of those would suit casual target shooting.

I don't dial for range at this point in time but another poster noted a Ballistic Turret can be added later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg