Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa
Hello all,

just found this in my instagram feed: Swarovski Optik Hunting announcing a new product reveal on 14/10/2021, with the phrases "see more" "see the unseen" while showing a video of wild boar at night.

(I'd add the link to the instagram video, but that might get this post removed...) ;)

Looks like they will come out with a thermal or ir sight it seems... Wonder what the price will look like :oops:

V.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I sure hope so.

The high tech optics market is almost exclusively either Chinese, Tactical, or both.

I'd very much like to see refined, elegant, compact, utilitarian options out there. Swaro certainly knows how to do this.

VertigoBE

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
And here it is, Swarovski’a take on a night vision device (thermal): yours for 5554$

Works as a hand held or a clip on.

IMG_4217.jpg

Frederik

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
OUCH that is a lot of money for something you are not going to use constantly.
But am sure it will be top quality.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Anything Swaro is good! I’ll check it out.
I think after having some thermals I like the idea of a dedicated thermal scope with a dedicated night hunting rifle.

YancyW

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
I think after having some thermals I like the idea of a dedicated thermal scope with a dedicated night hunting rifle.

I agree, the rifle is the cheapest part of that equation, so having a dedicated rig makes sense.

VertigoBE

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted

Indeed, I have been looking at thermal clip on sights. But the issue we see is that when you are attaching and removing it continuously, the first time you do not clip it back on in just the exact same way, you could have an issue with the bullet not going exactly where the crosshairs are. What would be ideal is a dedicated thermal scope that I can install directly to Blaser/Mauser/Sauer/etc mounts, for perfect return to zero every time. Then I just put the normal scope with its qd mount for the day, and in the evening I exchange it to the dedicated thermal scope.

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
For the price it seems to me the specs aren’t that great. Screen resolution is large but the sensor size is not. Obviously spec sheet doesn’t always tell the full story and Swarovski gear is typically quite good but given the nearly half a kilogram weight of this attachment and potential issues with rear sight clearance I’d rather go with a dedicated thermal unit in QR mounts.

I use the older version of the one below. It works well and allows for much safer and humane Boar hunting at night, one is not limited to bright, full moon nights.

Mine is mounted in Contessa mount and it works well, is repeatable and when the sun come up or goes down I simply swap it with the scope.

For size comparison the scope is Zeiss 3-12x56

Image1634291570.019751.jpg

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
For those interested in real-life performance, below is a link to a video I recorded while shooting a small (and tasty) Boar.

flatwater bill

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Another weapon in the war against wildlife, or a valuable hunter's tool? Things have certainly changed during my lifetime. Most of the hunters that I met in the field when I was a boy, had an open-sighted Model 94 or 95 win, or a Krag. Last year I met a man with a scouting drone and a night vision device. One thing's for sure, our technology is changing faster than theirs. .........thanks for posting.................FWB

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Indeed, I have been looking at thermal clip on sights. But the issue we see is that when you are attaching and removing it continuously, the first time you do not clip it back on in just the exact same way, you could have an issue with the bullet not going exactly where the crosshairs are. What would be ideal is a dedicated thermal scope that I can install directly to Blaser/Mauser/Sauer/etc mounts, for perfect return to zero every time. Then I just put the normal scope with its qd mount for the day, and in the evening I exchange it to the dedicated thermal scope.
Excellent Idea!

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
Another weapon in the war against wildlife, or a valuable hunter's tool? Things have certainly changed during my lifetime. Most of the hunters that I met in the field when I was a boy, had an open-sighted Model 94 or 95 win, or a Krag. Last year I met a man with a scouting drone and a night vision device. One thing's for sure, our technology is changing faster than theirs. .........thanks for posting.................FWB

I know where you are coming from but when hunting predators and invasive wild livestock like pigs we need all the technology we can get our hands on! We have no need to be sporting in this case.

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Wow, one could whack a lot of hyenas with the Pulsar assuming one could navigate ITAR regulations.

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Wow, one could whack a lot of hyenas with the Pulsar assuming one could navigate ITAR regulations.

Pulsar is a European company and is made in Europe so it is not subject to ITAR regs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alfreduphow

Latest profile posts

NTH wrote on JimT's profile.
Hey Jim, I read that you’re from Dequincey and just returned from Africa. I’m from Lake Charles and went there in April. What outfitter did you use and would you share your experience and pics? I won our trip to Kuche through DU.
gprippers wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello! Nice rifle! I have IDENTICAL rifle in 375 H&H so i was wondering what gunsmith did the work on it? Appreciate it and if you decide there is anything you are willing to take in partial trade, let me know. I have quite a few pistols, long guns and sxs & o/u shotguns as well.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

Thanks,
Rob
Bearhunter46 wrote on Philip Glass's profile.
Philip, do you still have the 416 for sale?
NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg