Fastrig

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
CA, TX, MT, CO, NV, AK, NE, SD, FL
Looking at optics for a Blaser R8 purchase. For the 375 H&H barrel, going with the Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13 x42 SR. Second barrel is going to be a 7mm Rem Mag for longer range stuff. Was going to go with the Z8i 2.3-18x56 SR but then got to looking at the new all-in-one DS 5 5-25x52 SR with the built in ranging, ballistics, etc. Read a number of professional and user reviews, all positive. Anyone have any experience with this scope? It’s largish, heavy-ish, and pricey but you don’t have to carrier a ranging optic, screw with adjusting turrets, etc., which isn’t a bad trade off. With optic, rifle is going to weigh in the solid 9’s but that’s not terrible and recoil will be very manageable at that weight. For plains game, would think this would work well, but having yet to go to Africa (trying to figure out when to rebook now) any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nice to have but these are fairly high magnification. My shooting is a little different but how often would you use the magnification?
Built in range finder seems to simplify the longer range part

Nice to have but these are fairly high magnification. My shooting is a little different but how often would you use the magnification?
Built in range finder seems to simplify the longer range part

That was one of my concerns, really the low side magnification. If it was a 2.5 to 3.5 on the low side I wouldn’t be concerned, but 5 times is more than I’ve ever used. 25x? Probably never use it that high, but this is a new beast so maybe it’s designed to be used that high...

What do you plan on hunting and where, to need or want a 25 power scope for Africa? In my limited experience your PH will be your range finder.

Hold off on the Ds and yes to the 8i on the other rifle. My Ds just went back after a malfunction. Happy to report back if you PM me a reminder.

Which model R8? I would bet you’ll be right at 10 lbs with that 38 Oz scope! (I don’t have experience with that model.)
I am very pleased with the z6’s I just put on my R8s. The ballistic turret has a good zero stop and three different colored dots to turn to for a preset range. I plan to run a 100 yard zero, then 250, 350, and 450. Past that is a long poke for sure.
Even with a rangefinding scope, I would still carry my rangefinding binoculars, since we spend so much time using them anyway. If you are hunting alone, I bet it would be an advantage to have a rangefinding scope. If you have a PH or a buddy to range for you, then I would save the money and buy another barrel and scope.
If money is not an issue, then absolutely buy it and report back. The scope mounting system on the Blaser makes it easy to put something else on.

(Having just spent the weekend shooting, I can say with certainty that you NEED the .22LR barrel kit.)

What do you plan on hunting and where, to need or want a 25 power scope for Africa? In my limited experience your PH will be your range finder.

Isn’t just for Africa, just looking for something with slightly more magnification than my 12x (greatest I own today). Not sure I’m even going the DS direction, just window shopping at this point. My original choice was the Z8i 2.3-18x56 SR for the 7mm rem mag (though 300 win mag still may be the second barrel). Started reading about the DS and it looked interesting, I’m a tech head :). Reviews seemed good but I prefer forum member views over article reviews if I can get them...a.k.a. the real world feedback :). More interested in the tech than the magnification on that scope, would have preferred they built in on the Z8i optics, 2.3-18 with that tech and I’d probably already have ordered it.

Hold off on the Ds and yes to the 8i on the other rifle. My Ds just went back after a malfunction. Happy to report back if you PM me a reminder.

Will do...thanks!

Which model R8? I would bet you’ll be right at 10 lbs with that 38 Oz scope! (I don’t have experience with that model.)
I am very pleased with the z6’s I just put on my R8s. The ballistic turret has a good zero stop and three different colored dots to turn to for a preset range. I plan to run a 100 yard zero, then 250, 350, and 450. Past that is a long poke for sure.
Even with a rangefinding scope, I would still carry my rangefinding binoculars, since we spend so much time using them anyway. If you are hunting alone, I bet it would be an advantage to have a rangefinding scope. If you have a PH or a buddy to range for you, then I would save the money and buy another barrel and scope.
If money is not an issue, then absolutely buy it and report back. The scope mounting system on the Blaser makes it easy to put something else on.

(Having just spent the weekend shooting, I can say with certainty that you NEED the .22LR barrel kit.)

R8 Success Ruthenium is pretty much what I’ve decided on, 375 H&H semi-weighted, fluted barrel with HIVIS sites, second barrel I’m leaning towards the 7mm rem mag but the 300 win mag keeps calling to me to change its direction (Same barrel specs as the 375 H&H). Was all set on the Z8i 2.3-18x56 SR with the ballistic turret for the second barrel, then saw the DS and it looked shiny and cool....that 5x though on the low end just seems like too much, but thought I’d see what others thought. Weight was my other concern, though I’m no shrinking violet and can handle a 10 lbs rifle, though 8.x lbs sounds much better :). This is going to be my “magnum” setup, the “standard” setup is going to be a 7x64/9.3x62 combo. Those two combos should pretty much take me anywhere....optics are the next set of decisions, lots of choices but really like the Swarovski Z8 scopes.

Last edited:
With a 4 barrel combo, you have time on your side. I suppose you will end up with at least 4 scopes, so start with a couple z8’s and see how you like them.

Will you run a suppressor or a brake? The reason I ask is that without one you can’t spot a shot and the barrel jump is enough to lose the sight picture completely, so a 25x magnification is about 10x too high for practical use.

the tech is fascinating, though. I keep wondering if I ever would have needed it, if I would have completed a better shot.

With a 4 barrel combo, you have time on your side. I suppose you will end up with at least 4 scopes, so start with a couple z8’s and see how you like them.

Will you run a suppressor or a brake? The reason I ask is that without one you can’t spot a shot and the barrel jump is enough to lose the sight picture completely, so a 25x magnification is about 10x too high for practical use.

the tech is fascinating, though. I keep wondering if I ever would have needed it, if I would have completed a better shot.

Wasn't planning on a suppressor or a brake. Going on a couple hunts over the next couple of years, assuming the COVID craps dies down, where shots are 300-400 quite often which is why I was looking at a bit higher mag scopes....not that the 12x wouldn't be fine but not having to max out the mag I've found to be better optically. Probably going to go with the 1.7-13 for the 375 and the 2.3-18 for the 7mm/300 wm. That should be plenty I would think, then if the tech in the DS 5 type scopes pans out I can always add that as the next scope.

I have the Z8i 2-16x50 for use on our Blaser R8 300WM barrel.
We looked at the dS but weren't happy with the electronics....or the price.
I will admit that I didn't look into the tech very much...because of the price.
Thought we would stick with the Z8i, at least for starters.

I will say that I highly recommend the rail mount option on the Swaro scopes.
They take longer to get, but are worth it.
Using either the Blaser or Contessa mount, it's a breeze mounting these scopes.
BTW - the Contessa mount is about $200 less expensive than the Blaser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you