Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I thought I would share a little project I gave myself. I have set up two scopes for my 308 Norma Mag because it will hopefully see a wide variance of terrain.

For where I hunt in Canada I will very rarely shoot farther than 200 yards, and more probably less than 100. So I put this 1x4 Trijicon on Alaska Arms medium height quick release rings.

For my next trip to South Africa I will probably use my 3.5x18 Swarovski. I will mount that in another set of Alaska Arms quick release rings but high height. The bolt hits the eye piece with medium rings.

The quick release rings will allow me to swap these two scopes around fairly easily depending on where I am going.

I am happy with the versatility this gives the rifle.

All the best guys and happy hunting.
20210526_221029.jpeg

Smart idea! I have a similar program on my .375: a swaro in 1.25-4 for close hunting and a swaro 2.5-15 for regular distances. I find that I like the 2.5-15 scope better, but then I haven’t used it much at less than 100 yards.

we all think we can shoot better with more poweful scopes.
however, unless you can adjust the parallax for the range, 9x and higher will actually be less accurate than an 8x or less.
try adjusting parallax accurately in the field!
you would be surprised how much you will miss by with unadjusted parallax.
it looks better when aiming, but is is a false sense of security.
bruce.

I agree about the power. I am undecided on the Z5 because it is a lot of scope. It would probably never get zoomed up past 8 anyways. But, it is otherwise a really nice, clear scope. My next trip to South Africa is going to be for animals in the mountains there, and the Z5 will be good for that I think.

I find that all my scopes stay on the lowest setting all the time. I honestly can’t think of a time that I needed more magnification.
The areas I’ve hunted a 300 yard shot would be rare and long, most game is taken inside 80 yards.
I also use quick release rings on all my rifles, more to use iron sites if I have problems with a scope.
Pheroze that is a beautiful piece of wood on that 308 Norma!

I have two scopes set up on my 416 Rigby using Alaska Arms rings. They absolutely return to zero. For me it means I can take 2 previously sighted in scopes.

On the power of scopes, I took the Swaro 2-12 off my 300 Win and replaced it with a 1.5-6 Zeiss to get a lower mounted scope with a better cheek weld. So far I have not used the 6x power setting in the field but I can still use 6x off the bench for 1 MOA groups. In addition the scope is smaller which makes the rifle easier to carry and you don not chase the wobble when in a hunting position like you do with higher power setting.

I have set-up my Whitworth 375HH with Leupold Quick Release for my Leupold 3x15 and my Burris 1x5 so I can shoot 250 grainers along with 350 grainers . I also have Warne and Alaska Arms QR Rings on other rifles

I thought I would share a little project I gave myself. I have set up two scopes for my 308 Norma Mag because it will hopefully see a wide variance of terrain.

For where I hunt in Canada I will very rarely shoot farther than 200 yards, and more probably less than 100. So I put this 1x4 Trijicon on Alaska Arms medium height quick release rings.

For my next trip to South Africa I will probably use my 3.5x18 Swarovski. I will mount that in another set of Alaska Arms quick release rings but high height. The bolt hits the eye piece with medium rings.

The quick release rings will allow me to swap these two scopes around fairly easily depending on where I am going.

All the best guys and happy hunting.View attachment 403867
I did this on my first trip. I missed a kudu due to the rings coming loose. This works very well but incorporate checking if the rings are tight at the connection to the base into your getting off the truck checklist.

All the best guys and happy hunting.View attachment 403867
@Pheroze
Why not just get a Meopta Optica 5 in 2 to 10 power, Good for close up or far away or a 3 to 15.
Bob

Beautiful gun!

But isn't the rifling supposed to be on the inside of the barrel? :giggle:
@RandyF
You silly sausage that's for when the barrel wears out you turn it inside out like a sock and reuse it. Some people just need more edge u may cat on.
Bob

@RandyF
You silly sausage that's for when the barrel wears out you turn it inside out like a sock and reuse it. Some people just need more edge u may cat on.
Bob
Truth be told, I have an unnatural fetish for swizzle sticks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross