Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ZPHGA,SOAZ,SCI, ZTA
Hunted
Most countries
Sustainable off take

Since 2007 we have been involved in dedicated wildlife conservation through sustainable off take, quota control, anti poaching and community based wildlife education in the Omay campfire concession.

parson4.jpg

The Omay (NyamiNyami RDC ) is a vast ( 2 million acres) populated communal land which one of the first areas to be given the CAMPFIRE status, whereby local communities benefit from wildlife off take, it is not rocket science that this program works as we continue to see an increase in wildlife numbers in our area. Communities receive direct benefit both financially and through various projects implemented by Martin Pieters safaris such as clinics, schools, vehicles for anti poaching and the employment of scouts. It must be noted that the Nyaminyami RDC is a remote inhospitable concession that has no other land use model due to very erratic and low rainfalls, an abundance of mosquitos, tsetse flies and poor soils. The only benefit local people have, is to receive financial remuneration from hunting safari off take and employment.

IMG_4616-1024x682.jpg

We at Martin Pieters safaris, www.martinpieterssafaris.com employ locals in all our camps as well as a dedicated anti poaching team that works alongside the RDC (council ), national parks, the police and the MAPP ( Matusadonna anti poaching project ), we continue to collect snares, arrest poachers and follow up on convictions and more importantly, educate people on the long term sustainable use of our national heritage. This method has been proven and several past poachers have turned tables and are now our most trusted wildlife officers, using their past notorious skills to help us protect our wildlife.

Every year several local villagers are killed or maimed by elephant, lion, buffalo, hippo and crocodile, they live in close proximity to these animals and only tolerate them because we as a hunting company give back to the community. It is very important for the protection of our wildlife in these remote areas that we continue to assist the RDC with anti poaching, continue to pay for the sustainable off take of a select quota, because if we do not, the locals will kill every animal, they will not tolerate wildlife disruptions to their families, be it through the destruction of their crops on an annual basis, or the loss of one of their family members.

Our wildlife populations are on the rise, we border the Matusadonna national park, there are no fences to stop animals movements, we are very much needed, even more so now with current rainfall patterns at their lowest, poaching will increase as people find it difficult to grow crops, we will not let the last 10 years of effort to protect our wildlife be a waste, we will not leave these villagers high and dry with no form of income or food.

We thank our hunters for their continued support. It is because of you that our conservation methods are successful.

dec7b226ff2dcf3d71b21ea79008dcfe.jpg

We spend in excess of $ 40 000 / annum on anti poaching

We have collected over 15 000 wire snares since 2007 saving thousands of animals.

We assist in arrests of subsistence poachers and heavily armed elephant poachers, we follow up with convictions so that these men and women can be put away and our animals will be safe.

We monitor game movements and patterns and adjust our quotas accordingly so that we continually have an increase for future generations

We have assisted in the construction of clinics, schools and information centers.

We employ over 30 locals in our camps and in the field thus as siting hundreds of locus through indirect benefits.

Last but not else, we pay over $ 200 000 in direct benefits annually to the RDC and the local wards for wildlife off take.

Attachments

• parson4.jpg
    parson4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 95
  • dec7b226ff2dcf3d71b21ea79008dcfe.jpg
    dec7b226ff2dcf3d71b21ea79008dcfe.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4616-1024x682.jpg
    IMG_4616-1024x682.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:
Great effort by Martin Pieters and team and something to show/ send to the anti's.

Thank you, by all means share.

A great essay and wonderful pictures. Thank you for posting this.

Thank you sir! Well done. Ethical hunters need to exit the shadows and begin to share our success stories with the non-hunters. As far as the rabid anti-hunters are concerned, we Texans have an ole say'n "Those folks have issues". Earlier today, I was picking up my photos from the local Walgreens. The Walgreen employee processing my photos told a middle aged lady (also waiting for her photos) that I was her favorite employee and that I enjoyed hunting. The middle aged lady gave me a "what the heck" look. I asked if she was interested in viewing a couple of the photos taken during my last hunt in Zimbabwe. As she viewed them, I explained that all of the resulting meat (except my hyena) was processed and that some of it was consumed in camp and that the remaining meat was shared with the camp staff and their families. I also advised her that I was part of an entourage that delivered an elephant carcass to a nearby village. I described to her how the youngsters ran toward our vehicle with buckets and pans and that they were ecstatic. I went on to advise her that they consumed most of the elephant including heart, stomach, intestines, kidneys, etc. After she viewed my photos, she gave me a big hand shake and responded "God Bless You". I then asked the young lady processing my photos if she was a hunter. She responded that she was not a hunter nor were her parents and siblings. However, she stated that despite being a non-hunter she understood the role that ethical and sustainable hunting plays in the wildlife conservation. Wow! Needless to say, I was flabbergasted. Cheers!

Last edited:
Great reviews of your operations

Good work sir! This is exactly what anti hunters do not understand!

Well done Martin Pieters and crew! I will be sharing this, since it has been approved.

Regards,

Mike

Some further examples

12006231_454847591354075_5029758234175185274_n.jpg
12004720_454847724687395_5280854871890364052_n.jpg

Martin

Thanks for posting. Can't wait to get there and experience the Omay.
Keep up the good work!

Regards
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg