From Mykel Hawke's Survival book......

'The number-one tool in survival is the knife.
Always carry one or have one available and/or accessible.
And learn a few ways to make or improvise different knives.

As for knives and tools, for every pro there is a con.

A big knife is great for whacking down trees to make a shelter, a raft, a sled, etc. but, they not only make it really hard to do small stuff like make snares and traps, they can actually be dangerous.

The same goes for knives that are too small.
These are great for most jobs around the camp for surviving, but they sure make it hard to build a shelter.

Try for a middle ground if you carry only one knife,.

Everything you can get, and carry, is good.
And anything is always better than nothing.
But make it count.

Check it out before you’re down and out
—and remember to keep it light! '
098B620B7BBD4AC682F72A5905860EFB.JPG

Alone season 5 start next month on History channal
10 x survival experts must see who can stay and survive the longest alone out there in Mongolia this time.

I haven't seen the show. Is this one where they're truly alone, or is there a production crew there filming and for distress/emergencies?

They only take cameras andonce a week leave the camera chip at a certain point where the producers pick it up and leave empty ones. No contact .
They are totally alone

Sounds like a nice adventure. If I was an "expert" I'd throw my name in the hat...

They only take cameras andonce a week leave the camera chip at a certain point where the producers pick it up and leave empty ones. No contact .
They are totally alone

We are just getting toward the end of season two here in NZ and watch it with interest. It has been clear early on which members would not last the distance as thier mental attitude is exposed in the self made film clips.

IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO GOOD INTERNET YOU CAN NOW DOWNLOAD THE FULL SEASONS 1-4 AND WATCH IT ON YOUR OWN TIME,

I AGREE, IT SEEMS EVERY SEASON HAS A COUPLE THAT WERE CHOSEN FOR THE TV DRAMA AS THEY ARE NOT UP TO THE CHALLENGE,

OUT OF THE 1000;S OF APPLICANTS , AND THEN THE PRACTICAL OBSERVATION OF THE 'STRONGEST' 20-30, THERE IS NO WAY SOME OF THE FINAL 10 IS THE 'BEST'.

THE OTHER REMAINING 5-7 EACH TIME ARE PRETTY GOOD AND SKILLFUL SURVIVALISTS THOUGH !

tHE MAIN THING IN THIS 'ALONE' SERIES/SITUATION FOR ME THOUGH, IS NOT SO MUCH THE SKILL SET ,AS ALL OF THEM CAN MAKE A FIRE AND BUILD A SHELTER ETC.

tHE MAIN CHALLENGE IS THE MIND GAMES AND HOW YOU KEEP THE MONSTERS IN YOUR HEAD AT BAY AFTER SO MANY DIFFICULT AND LONELY [BORING?]HOURS/DAYS/WEEKS..

tHAT IS WHY THOSE THAT CHOSE A MULTI TOOL SEEMS TO FARE BETTER , AS THEY USE IT TO KEEP THE MIND CREATIVELY BUSY WHENEVER THEY CAN.
THE REST JUST SAT AND STARE INTO THE FLAMES OR THE DISTANCE FOR HOURS,AND THAT IS WHERE THE 'SURVIVABILITY' OF A PERSON STARTS TO CRACK OR CAME TO THE FRONT.

IT'S THESE SMALL THING THAT COUNT MORE IN THE LONG RUN , AS IN THE SHORT TERM THE FIRE AND SHELTER IS SORTED OUT.

IN THE BEGINNING OF YOUR STATIC 'SURVIVAL' TIME YOU NEED A BIG KNIFE FOR BUILDING A SHELTER/RAFT ETC, BUT AFTER THAT INITIAL STAGE, YOUR BLADE NEEDS CHANGE AND A GOOD SMALLER 4-5' 'BUSHCRAFT' BLADE OR SWISS ARMY POCKET KNIFE WITH DIFFERENT 'TOOLS' BECAME MORE VALUABLE AS A 'SURVIVAL' KNIFE.

[THAT IS WHY, IF IT IS POSSIBLE , ALWAYS CARRY 2-3 DIFFERENT KNIVES ON YOUR PERSON IF THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF A 'SURVIVAL' SITUATION]

[OFF COURSE--IT ALL DEPEND ON THE SITUATION AND TERRAIN]

IN ALONE, THEN ,APART OF GETTING FOOD EVERYDAY [MOSTLY STATIC LINE AND GILL NET TRAP FISHING IN SEASONS 1-4 SO FAR] , DAILY BOREDOM SETS IN AFTER 1-2 WEEKS, AND HOW ARE YOU NOW FORCING YOURSELF TO KEEP BUSY WITH THE MINIMUM BURNING AF CALORIES THEN?

LONG TERM 'SURVIVAL' [TO THRIVE/PROSPER OUT THERE ALONE] IS ABOUT SO MUCH MORE THAN TARZAN OR RAMBO OR THE BIG KNIFE CAN DO IT ALL--WELL MAYBE, BUT WITH DIFFICULTY !

I edc the swiss army pocket knife--huntsman model
huntsman.jpg

What seems to happen to many of them is that when the bordem sets in they start to concentrate more on those at home and what they are missing rather than the task in hand and as I told someone once that if all they think about is a certain subject then after a while that becomes the central focus of thier whole being to the detriment of everything else. Watching those with ongoing projects and the different attitudes they show and how they are balancing the three important factors of food intake against calore expenditure against the need to stay active in a creative manner so that they keep the self pity at bay.
It is a good thing to have a period of self analisys but knowing when to put that asside seems to be the difference between healthy mental state and bogging down.

...SO TRUE...

FB_IMG_1527608643527.jpg

Food always is the deciding factor on "Alone", everyone on the show can make a fire and build a shelter but not everyone can feed them selves.

So true Art

This time the food ration amount was reduced from 5 lbs to 2 lbs. [ less than 1 kg]
That is really interesting to me.
I wonder what feedback led to that decision.

I used to think a ration was a no-brainer, but now I think if it is only 2 lbs that I would opt for a tool/hunting item instead.

I think that if this emergency ration is used after 2 1/2 -3 months in a soup/sauce over some days, it is still a good thing.

If however it is consumed after 2 weeks, then an extra tool would be my choice.

What do y'all think?

They all seem to be starting off at a time of year where there is a sufficient supply of food, or at least the first 2 seasons have, so I think that if there was just a 2 lb allowance for food I would also take an extra tool as well.

I'm a tool heavy guy but I also believe if you don't start well its very hard to finish well. Everyone on "Alone" takes a Ferro rod, sleeping bag and a pot/frying pan, that leaves you with only 7 additional items for your kit. My remaining items would be a Tomahawk or Kukri, multi-tool, paracord, fishing gear, snare wire, food ration, food ration.

good choices Art!

[...for a bit of lopsided comparison with Alone...]

A different 'survival' scenario and time but I can see a.....
  • weapon & ammo
  • cover
  • fire
  • food rations
  • rope/wire
  • cast iron pot
  • blankets
  • small canister & a bottle
  • backpack
  • a croceries box [maybe bit of flour, salt,coffee, biltong etc]
  • still fire in their eyes.....
[They also always carried a pocket knife]

34135441_576008782761951_56900615795638272_n.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the idea of taking a canteen as well, the ability to carry water allows you to travel farther from base came in search of resources.

[...for a bit of lopsided comparison with Alone...]

A different 'survival' scenario and time but I can see a.....
  • weapon & ammo
  • cover
  • fire
  • food rations
  • rope/wire
  • cast iron pot
  • blankets
  • small canister & a bottle
  • backpack
  • a croceries box [maybe bit of flour, salt,coffee, biltong etc]
  • still fire in their eyes.....
[They also always carried a pocket knife]

View attachment 231347

you forgot the horse to carry that as the Boer did :)

Von Gruff--true ! :sneaky:

Art, and this multi purpose 'army' canteen concept is still a winner!

s-l300.jpg

How embarrassing! Calling nasty Marine camo by the Royal name of Army....

I prefer a stainless steel canteen and cup to the military version. It allow me an additional boiling vessel, but I do have several of the military units just in case.

b4e226d67f64d395a91d164e3c515b4a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross