1f60e.png

They apparently don't understand,
that part of prepping,
is being armed to deal with those,
who want to steal your stuff.......
439245520_818538963647975_1812798060867939282_n.jpg

Been there. Done that.

When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

Put my back against a tree when dogs ran two deer: 1 to my right, the other to my left. My rifle against a tree with my pack just outside arms reach.

For a long time after that I carried a revolver in a holster on a cross the chest bandolier.

When I was a youngster receiving monthly magazines from Sports Afield, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, and a couple of others my favorite was Sports Afield, it had a center section with all kinds of outdoor tips. One particular tip on fire starting wet wood is to get: a tin can with screw on lid ie pellet/BB tin can, fine sawdust, and lighter fluid.

Start by pouring enough lighter fluid into the tin to cover the bottom.

Next place sawdust into the tin to soak up the lighter fluid and a little extra.

Continue to layer lighter fluid and the saw dust until the tin is slightly over full, but the lid can still be screwed on compress the contents.

To use:

Cut a channel into a piece of kindling. Place a few pitches of the lighter fluid soaked sawdust into the channel.
Place tinder, ie a "Bird's Nest" over and along the piece of kindling and sawdust.
Light with: matches, a lighter,

Alternative ignition:

Place a pinch of sawdust in:
the bowl of: a bow drill or hand drill
a "bird's nest" using flint and steel

Works with dry, damp, or wet wood to start a fire.

A multi purpose item is peanut butter.

Not only as a food source, but the oil can also be used to start a fire.

When I was a youngster receiving monthly magazines from Sports Afield, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, and a couple of others my favorite was Sports Afield, it had a center section with all kinds of outdoor tips. One particular tip on fire starting wet wood is to get: a tin can with screw on lid ie pellet/BB tin can, fine sawdust, and lighter fluid.

Start by pouring enough lighter fluid into the tin to cover the bottom.

Next place sawdust into the tin to soak up the lighter fluid and a little extra.

Continue to layer lighter fluid and the saw dust until the tin is slightly over full, but the lid can still be screwed on compress the contents.

To use:

Cut a channel into a piece of kindling. Place a few pitches of the lighter fluid soaked sawdust into the channel.
Place tinder, ie a "Bird's Nest" over and along the piece of kindling and sawdust.
Light with: matches, a lighter,

Alternative ignition:

Place a pinch of sawdust in:
the bowl of: a bow drill or hand drill
a "bird's nest" using flint and steel

Works with dry, damp, or wet wood to start a fire.

A multi purpose item is peanut butter.

Not only as a food source, but the oil can also be used to start a fire.
RidgeRunner: is that “really” suppose to be helpful?? First off where the hell is a Tin Can these days and especially one with a screw-on-lid? 2nd - if you have a can of Lighter Fluid AND a match or lighter to ignite it ….Then you can throw out the can & saw dust etc… Because you already have everything you need to set ANYTHING on Fire !!! Outdoor Life must’ve run out of helpful tips for that issue…

Interesting topic and pet passion of mine since I was a little kid running around in the bush with my pellet gun and mongrel dog.

I like to always have the 5 C's on me. (Reference: Mr David Canterbury)

Cutting tool
Conbustion device
Cordage
Container for water/cooking
Cover against the elements

Those are things that are quite essential and hard or time consuming to make in nature, especially when you are truly in a pickle already. You can make most other things you need if you already have those 5 items.

Following the contributions on this thread with keen interest.

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you