observe

Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Association of SA, SAGA, Primitive hunting [Spear @ Bow]
Hunted
R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
Hi guys

I thought long and hard before I've decided to bring up this topic on this thread,and hope it could be of value/educational for all.

I'm starting this new thread, as I'm really interested in this topic [ though in my younger days we have just called it merely outdoor camping or 'roughing it'!]

As more [back= packer] tourists from 'outside' the country/continent are visiting Africa each year [hiking trails,photo safaris, camping, touring,etc apart from hunting] ,I think some relevant African survival tips,advice/experiences could be valuable for all [young/old]

23 Survival and navigation skills - just one of the many topics covered_0.JPG Excellent practical courses are available for the African-bush conditions !

This topic is very much commercialized and miss-used/abused on some other sites [not all!] where a lot of armchair 'know-it-alls' are verbal diarrhea a lot of nonsense, or fantasies [eg, how to kill an elephant with a knife..bah! NOT SO EASY!] to the inexperienced masses and the genuine 'survival-scholar' alike who really want to find out what/how/where to do in Africa in an unfortunate emergency until help arrives. [getting lost,guide is hurt etc.etc.]

There really are a lot of [GOOD] info/books about this topic,[army manuals etc] but focusing mainly on other continents than Africa.

[Most of the tv shows like bear grylls,dual survival,survivor man etc try to address this topic in their own unique ways,[and some are quite good-I personally like Ray Mears] but in some episodes I can only shook my head with a wry smile!]

99% of the info on the net on this topic deal with other continents outside of the unique situations/wildlife/terrain etc of Africa,but can be used with confidence here as well.

Bushcraft-Survival-Paperbac.jpg

Apart from some real experts on this topic, most game rangers,trackers, hunters, PH, and others in the hunting industry are walking encyclopedias on this topic and have their 'doctorates' in the African bush university!

Field-Guide-Mammals.jpg

Another reason that I think this thread and its experienced contributors on this forum could be of great value in the long term, is that most of the knowledge on this topic resides in the 'older' and 'uneducated' [sorry!] people.
This knowledge are shared with the view that came in contact with them. I know that there are excellent courses,veld-schools,books etc on this topic, and I for one am very grateful that this 'ancient'[?] knowledge can be preserved for future 'technology minded' generations.

An 'open university' on this topic [especially for African conditions] by our own knowledgeable 'common' [sorry again!] highly experienced experts, where we share our knowledge for the benefit of all, can only do good to someone,somewhere wishing/planning an African trip,looking out of the window at the cold and snow outside while trying to digest some of the rubbish on certain websites[not all!] about the theory of this topic.

Lets share our 'roughing it' common knowledge on bush camping/survival tips in Africa here for the benefit of all , and learn from each other .[It can maybe even save someone's live sometime!]

[Books/articles/movies/practical tips/sound advice/stories/essential equipment/skills/photo's etc]

s.jpg

I know the chances of such a survival situation are slim on most game ranches/concessions, as the client is cared for like gold, but its here more about your tips in the ...what if...situation.

It can become interesting to hear from you all!

bob-cooper-survival-book-cartoon.jpg

fire

[this is with the sharp ['wrong' ] side of the knife!

24909d1390548804-survival-1.jpg

cover[sleep]

24910d1390548806-survival-bushsurvival-gallery-18.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 847
  • Bushsurvival-gallery-18.jpg
    Bushsurvival-gallery-18.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 809
Last edited by a moderator:
always prepare for the worst, and stay calm. I like the idea of the survival straps/bracelets, saw one with a few things wrapped inside of the cord like fishing line and hooks.
Everyone who spends an afternoon in the bush should know how to start a fire, or be prepared to start one. Even in my deer stands back up in NWO I have a few things I leave in a container, just in case. Am curious to hear from the others in an effort to be prepared for my trip. I always carry a backpack with a few items, but then that's for hunting in NA and not Africa

willem look up this for a good hammock. its on you tube. "hennesy hammock demo at summer outdoor retailer 2009". dont know how to do that link thing :D they have them at your favourite site heinnie haynes! ;)

willem look up this for a good hammock. its on you tube. "hennesy hammock demo at summer outdoor retailer 2009". dont know how to do that link thing :D they have them at your favourite site heinnie haynes! ;)

thanks,I love it!:D

any sort of fire tool that you can operate
[a must have on your person]

If I had to choose [apart from my life and health]
the 2 most important 'tools' to always have on me while in the bush is a cutting tool and some sort of fire tool....

some options/examples are......

smaller knife & fire combo-good to have on your person!
[depending on your situation, use and need !]

[bushcraft,camp etc]

this is a bigger knife & fire combo [depending on your situation/need] with some other optional use [something the Skinner or such can use sfter the hunt and NOT break!]
[spear, camp etc]--also just nice to have in your back pack as a back-up.
very versatile, cheap and very rugged/strong! [it also sharpened very easily]

95BBUSK_4.jpg

Whoever faces catastrophe takes a deep breath and makes up his mind to have a really determined go at beating the odds. If you're caught in a calamity, it's always best to have a game plan. There are a lot of BS survival books out there, but there are a lot of good ones. If a person can get their hands on some military survival training manuals,(regardless of country) they find a lot of useful information. I am a firm believer in being prepared, even if you equip yourself with just basics, you will stand a better chance during unforseen mishaps.

Just do a web search for "bug out bag", would be a good start. It shows you how and what you should be thinking about in case of something major happening.

Willem, Cold Steel makes some fantastic knives. I'm sure which ever Cold Steel photo you put up, Spikey has one... HA

I agree 35bore--a lot of BS out there
I definitely agree also about cold steel!

come on mike,give us your preference blade wisdom and experience.....:confused:

Here are four different very good Army survival manuals to help you formulate your own 'game-plan' as 35bore advised.
[More than 1700 pages of info can now be downloaded from here to your pc for later use/reading again!]
If you know how to use and implement even a quarter of this info, you would be OK I think!

SAS SURVIVAL GUIDE

US ARMY SURVIVAL GUIDE

US RANGERS SURVIVAL GUIDE

US MARINES SURVIVAL GUIDE

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 2 e-book -SAS-Survival-Guide.pdf
    78.2 MB · Views: 759
  • (ebook -.pdf
    32.1 MB · Views: 703
  • 8 e-book US Rangers Survival-Guide Revised 02-11-2011.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 516
  • 4 e-book US Marines Survival-Guide.pdf
    33.3 MB · Views: 624
Don't overlook the classic bivy sac. Mine weighs just 2lb 4oz WITH a thermarest pad in it and is only slightly larger than a subway sandwich. By itself it will keep you warm and dry from the side of a mountain to the bottom of a swamp down to about freezing with just my warm clothes and a toque. Add a good sleeping bag and I can be comfortable down to -15 and survive -50 in a blizzard no problem.

diamondhitch-good choice and lightweight.

For those of you that want some more really practical survival tips, you can learn a lot on u-tube's 'The Pathfinder School'[--and some others.]- but after a while you will recognize the BS ones.

I would recommend it to help you make up your mind about what to take and how to use what you decided to take/carry with you given the situation/terrain you are going to visit.

There really is a mindset or practical philosophy in what to take with you out trekking/hiking/camping/survival, and once you understand the basic concept of why you need each specific item [and how each item you carry with you can have a dual purpose,]then go and teach yourself the skill at home of how to practically use each item you carry with you---then you are on your way.

I must confess that I am also a subscriber to the mindset of ' always be prepared', and I always had lots of 'goodies' around or on me, but internet helped me to bring order in the madness, and I have since reduced a lot of duplicated equipment with more multi-functional items.

I would argue/debate that this topic should get as much [or more] of your time as the 'range time' practice for your rifle before you go on a hunting trip out in the bush.[---whats the use of only knowing your rifle's knock-down and bullet-drop capabilities 100 %, but without it [or ammo] its just a useless piece of beautiful heavy metal--what [skills/equipment ] are you then going to relay on to survive?

---Boy have I now stuck my neck out and opened a can of worms for some?-Good!-Just start thinking about your own skills/equipment level,and see if this type of mindset doesn't make your next hunting trip/safari a more confident and enjoyable one by making you observe your surroundings and situation out there out of a bit of different perspective [..what if..] that will also brings you a bit 'closer to nature' than just the stalk and shot...

Start practicing some skills with whatever you carry on you [hopefully you have something else on you as well?]apart from your rifle?

Yes, I know in Africa there are a lot of good and competent people that will be around you [and there are some very good reasons for it!] and to take care of you all the time [PH, tracker,Skinner etc,etc], and they are really the experts in their field, but that is not the point here--do not only relay on them, but learn from them as well![what do they carry,how do they find the way,what would they do if.?..etc]

[As an African hot climate 'bushman', I certainly would want an expert cold/snow/ice person with me if I one day go into such a situation,as I will be totally out of my depth!]

This video can be a start for you to sort out your bug- out- bag with the essentials and multi-used items to carry.[and why!]

Some very handy, lightweight survival items that I carry:
1) Survival matches in a film container (yes, those are getting harder to come by in the digital age)
2) Fishing hooks and line - not just where there is water, you can catch birds with them just as well
3) Survival blanket
4) Folding knife
5) Plastic bag
This is a survival set the size of a pack of cigarettes, and there is no reason not to carry it anytime anywhere. People don't just die of exposure in the "real" wilderness, but even in state parks in countries like Germany and the UK. A guy near Auckland, NZ, got out of his sedan on a busy highway to take a photo of a bird in the bush. He got lost within meters (and yes, it is that kind of bush); luckily they found him alive after a few days.
Another few tips from my army days: We used to re-wind duct tape on a nail. It reduces weight and space, and the nail may come in handy.
A thin, light line is easier to pack. You rarely need to abseil, but you constantly need to tie things.
"If it moves, it's food." There are only 3 or 4 species of land animal that are poisonous to eat. (The second rule is: "If it doesn't move, it's easier to catch." Road kill is a very good food source.)
"Thought before action, if there is time." Unless you are in fire, under fire or in water, you almost always have time to think about your next move. Your mind is by far your most powerful tool. A naked man who thinks calmly and is determined to survive has a better chance than a well equipped person who panics. A crashed jet pilot in the Rockies once lit 42 cigarettes with 42 matches - and died of exposure because he could no longer start a fire!

do any of you guys take a personal locating beacon (plb) with you ?
l have a place in all my packs for mine .
l take it everytime l get off the track .
its good for five years between services ,and once activated any where above ground or water , it sends lat/long of your position for 72 hours in any temp.in any conditons
its registered to amsa (Australian maritime safety agency ).and if you teravel anywhere on earth , you get online before you leave and punch in where you will be (country)
peace of mind , light weight ,and compct
l also take 2 hand held flares with me , sealed in vac sealed bag .one smoke flare, and one red .the red doubles as a fire lighting implement aswell .no mater how wet or windy it is when burning at 2000 degrees c ,you can always get a fire started .

do any of you guys take a personal locating beacon (plb) with you ?
l have a place in all my packs for mine .
l take it everytime l get off the track .
its good for five years between services ,and once activated any where above ground or water , it sends lat/long of your position for 72 hours in any temp.in any conditons
its registered to amsa (Australian maritime safety agency ).and if you teravel anywhere on earth , you get online before you leave and punch in where you will be (country)
peace of mind , light weight ,and compct
l also take 2 hand held flares with me , sealed in vac sealed bag .one smoke flare, and one red .the red doubles as a fire lighting implement aswell .no mater how wet or windy it is when burning at 2000 degrees c ,you can always get a fire started .

Good call, we have SPOT units here that do the same plus you can send a preregistered message, such as "Elk down, need help" to people of your choosing at any time.

24934d1390746794-survival-jungle-survival-3.jpg

24935d1390746796-survival-jungle-survival-4.jpg

24936d1390746798-survival-jungle-survival-6.jpg

24937d1390746801-survival-jungle-survival-8.gif

aaaahh!!!

24938d1390746804-survival-rosehip_billy.jpg

Attachments

• jungle-survival-3.jpg
    jungle-survival-3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 721
  • jungle-survival-4.jpg
    jungle-survival-4.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 657
  • jungle-survival-6.jpg
    jungle-survival-6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 671
  • jungle-survival-8.gif
    jungle-survival-8.gif
    141.8 KB · Views: 743
  • rosehip_billy.jpg
    rosehip_billy.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 660
WOW! it doesn't feel like its been that many years ago that I taught Classes out of this very manual at the Rangers Light Fighters Academy at Fort Richardson, AK. Damn I'm getting old.

FM21-76.jpg

A couple things not addressed yet. The ultimate survival tool these days... a sat phone.

Having extensively packed in the backcountry several days from civilization I also carry an extensive first aid kit for vetting horses. This has spilled a few items over to my personal first aid kit while backpacking.
1) Blood stop powder - yes it says not for human use on it but 2 days from help with blood spurting, I think I will ignore the warning.
2) Medical stapler - far easier than sutures to button up a fidgety horse and far easier to button up your own wounds if you are limited to the use of only 1 arm.

sound advice blue,diamondhitch

here is another book on the topic to look at [click to download]

24943d1390790728-survival-cover.jpg

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 669
  • Essential Survival Skills.pdf
    22.2 MB · Views: 610
A good survival bag should contain this or at least some some variation of this...:coffee:

24964d1390818231-survival-kit.png

Attachments

• kit.png
    kit.png
    655.7 KB · Views: 728
some more related books....

24970d1390830354-survival-untitled.png

Attachments

• 9 e-book The-Complete-Outdoorsman-s-Handbook-.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 424
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    726.4 KB · Views: 638
24971d1390830783-survival-yjtr.png

Attachments

• yjtr.png
    yjtr.png
    504.5 KB · Views: 630
  • BushcraftIssue44.pdf
    31.2 MB · Views: 554

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg