Survey: Your Favorite .30 Caliber

kimber 84-M in 3006 with a 24" barrel that weights 6.5 lbs scoped(2x7 leupold).the target shows how it much the heat affects its grouping in six shots while sighting it in. two lower left shots were first and a adjustment was made and two more shots still lower left and a adjustment was made and the next two right and a little higher. the six shots were fired in under 5 minuts. i finished sighting the rifle in later after it cooled down. 57 grs imr 4350 with a 165 gr noslet BT, a little over 2800 fps.

DSCN0201.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot my first whitetail at 15 years old with a .308 so it’s always been a favourite cartridge for me.

One day I will add a 300H&H to the stable, because the 375 needs a little brother!

30-06. I own two I hunt with and a third, an M1917, I just enjoy shooting.

I will say I'd have bought my Ruger #1 in a 308 just as fast as the 30-06 it is if that's what it had been chambered in when I saw it.

.308 Winchester. The cartridge is "just right" for most of the game that I hunt in Canada. And very capable and versatile elsewhere. I have no desire or need for a "long range" hunting cartridge. If I think I need something more powerful, I skip over bigger .30 caliber cartridges and choose a .35, or 9.3, or .375.

My friend Ponton
If you had asked me the same question 30 years ago it would definitely have been the good old 303.
But now with the ease of availability and price of ammunition I would definitely have the 308..
For a long time I thought the 08 was what you had because you couldn't handle the bigger brother 06. After seeing what the 308 could do with 150 grain accubonds loaded to 2,900+fps in my son's hands while hunting Namibia I definitely give the 308 a big thumbs up.
Keep safe and well my friend
Bob

My favorite is Hollands Super 30 in rifles.
Handgun, .309 JDJ.

As of now I would say the 30-06 as it is what I have used to hunt since I started. But I recently picked up a 300 H&H that I'm really looking forward to shooting and more importantly hunting with.

Remington model 7400 semi auto 30-06 18" barrel. Very handy. Normaly my shooting distances are below 200 yards. With 0-to 4 power scope. It does everything I want in Missouri. If I go west then it is 30-378 wby for those long shots in mountain country try. I sold the 30-378 as my 340 wby will do that and some more.

Dear Fellow Forum Members ,
As part of my latest upcoming article on African Hunting Forums ... I wish to conduct a survey amongst you gentle men ( And ladies ) .

What is your favorite .30 calibre hunting cartridge ? For the purposes of my survey ... You must limit your choice to 1 . You may add the reason for your choice ... If you wish. In fact , I highly encourage it .

I am going to start with my personal favorite : The .30-06 Springfield .
My favorite factory loaded cartridge for this calibre ... Is the 220 grain Winchester Silver Tip soft point cartridge .
Why ? Because it is the original , and still as versatile today ... as it was 114 years ago .

I look forward to analyzing what the results of this survey shall yield .

Yours sincerely ,
Major Poton Khan ( Retired )
Going to say 30-06 most versatile, since you can only pick 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg