Survey: rings or rail

I’m not sure they do, yes the scope with a rail is heavier than the same model without rail but I think the extra weight of the rings would make it more or less the same.
Sorry I thought the post was about a pic rail versus rings. The original post said nothing about a European rail. Of course I do not want rings on a Blaser R8. I want a rail scope. It is a brilliant design!

Just to throw a little curve ball, just saw this mounting on one of Holts December offerings. Anyone have a clue on how this was attached? Half rings???

Lot 1254
1636964239603.png

For a bolt action I prefer rings just for the fact it gives me more room for fingers when single loading cartridges for any other action type rails are fine. If you are mounting your scope correctly there really should not be any alignment issues unless the drilled holes are out of straight and square. Never had an issue with that but I know of people who have.

Just to throw a little curve ball, just saw this mounting on one of Holts December offerings. Anyone have a clue on how this was attached? Half rings???

Lot 1254
View attachment 436444

Quite common. Braised on. This particular gun was built by a master. Looks like a ferlach to me.

Quite common. Braised on. This particular gun was built by a master. Looks like a ferlach to me.
Do I understand correctly that this means that the mount is now integral to the optic and cannot be removed anymore? Unless perhaps by destroying the optic in question?

Do I understand correctly that this means that the mount is now integral to the optic and cannot be removed anymore? Unless perhaps by destroying the optic in question?

Correct. And a German or Austrian master gunsmith would retort: moving it is unnecessary as I mounted it to absolutely perfection. And what if the optic breaks? Answer: it’s Austrian glass, it shall not break.

But just like rail mounts used until ten years ago, they are drilled or braised, one-time installation designs. Only the newest rails are adjustable and reusable.

Correct. And a German or Austrian master gunsmith would retort: moving it is unnecessary as I mounted it to absolutely perfection. And what if the optic breaks? Answer: it’s Austrian glass, it shall not break.

But just like rail mounts used until ten years ago, they are drilled or braised, one-time installation designs. Only the newest rails are adjustable and reusable.
The newer rails as for Swarovski and Zeiss are probably more practical, but wow is that a beautiful and elegant way to mount a scope! And it permits a little extra engraving surface. Thanks for having enlightened me!

The newer rails as for Swarovski and Zeiss are probably more practical, but wow is that a beautiful and elegant way to mount a scope! And it permits a little extra engraving surface. Thanks for having enlightened me!

It's important to understand that newer rails are not as low as the original rails of 10,20,30 years ago.

The old rails were ultra low becasue: the dove tail was tiny and the base mount clamped to the dovetail. Once eye relieve and adjustment was perfect, a hole was drilled through the dovetail of the scope to make it immune from recoil and to ensure the mounts were perpetually in perfect alignment. (that's why all used older rail mount scopes have holes drilled in them...from prior custom install)

The newer rails are much deeper. The additional depth provides some sort of way to prevent movement. Most frequently its geared teeth or notches so that recoil cannot shift the optic. This makes the scope adjustable if length of pull changes, and it also allows reuse of the optic on another rifle if upgrades occur. But the teeth take up space. In another design, its a blind internal raceway and that takes up space too.

The newer rails aren't necessarily "Better" because of the cons; more height, more complicated mounts, higher and heavier mounts. But the pros are; reuse, easier installation, thousands less parts to stock for mounts and "rings", and broader compatibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross