Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, DSC, BASC, BDS
Hunted
USA: AL, CO, GA, FL, MT, SC, SD, TX, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, Eastern Cape, England, Saskatchewan
I notice a number of suppressors in safari photos. Many US-based hunters. Which leads me to a question:

Did all of you folks with suppressors in the pics take your suppressor from the US to Africa with you or did you use one that was available in SA? Perhaps some outfitters/safari operators with suppressors available for your use when you arrived? Or rental guns perhaps?

Just surprised by how many different folks have suppressors in photos. I think they are a terrific idea - all the benefits of a brake without the significant drawback. I will own one/more suppressors at some point - just haven't found the energy to go through the hassle in the US to do so.

They are very common in SA.

Most you see pics of are from rented/borrowed rifles.

+1 on Royal's info

I have noticed a few of these pictures myself and figured they were borrowed rifles. Not sure about how you even go about getting one in the USA but never wanted one either!

A lot of ranches in SA lately make it compulsory to use a suppressor, the game stays a lot tamer.

... Not sure about how you even go about getting one in the USA but never wanted one either!

To get one imported into the states, it is a governmental (ATF) nightmare! But if you already own one, you just have to do the research about the country that you are going and make sure that you travel though a "suppressor friendly" state with your paperwork and the 4457.

Hopefully the Hearing Protection Act will pass and we will not have to deal with the bureaucracy to actually own one anymore.

Hopefully the Hearing Protection Act will pass and we will not have to deal with the bureaucracy to actually own one anymore.

Hoping and wishing for that to pass! I've had an itch to suppress something .30'ish and a 458 Lott for some silent deer hunting.

I have noticed a few of these pictures myself and figured they were borrowed rifles. Not sure about how you even go about getting one in the USA but never wanted one either!
The process really isn't that difficult for buying. The paperwork isn't much more hassle than buying a gun, but getting fingerprints done is an annoying extra step. Several stores now have tube digital machine provided by silencershop.com that will store your prints for future reuse.

But when the hearing protection act passes it'll be moot for suppressor. Still necessary for the other NFA items

The process really isn't that difficult for buying. The paperwork isn't much more hassle than buying a gun, but getting fingerprints done is an annoying extra step. Several stores now have tube digital machine provided by silencershop.com that will store your prints for future reuse.

But when the hearing protection act passes it'll be moot for suppressor. Still necessary for the other NFA items

Interesting!

I can talk for quite a while on the process, if you'd like. I've bought one few years ago, have one I'm waiting to arrive at the local store any day (week) now. And I also wrote a paper for class over the summer.
Some things I enjoy researching. But the botany, zoology and chemistry classes I'm in now, not so much

I am still waiting on someone to quote the specific law for taking a US owned suppressor to Africa. People have posted on here that they have done it with just a 4457. When I was last at the Shot Show I asked ATF and they said I had to get a letter from the Secretary of State. I never pursued it but may do so before next year. I personally am not taking a Class III item over seas without certainty it is legal!
Regards,
Philip

Did all of you folks with suppressors in the pics take your suppressor from the US to Africa with you or did you use one that was available in SA?

I am still waiting on someone to quote the specific law for taking a US owned suppressor to Africa. People have posted on here that they have done it with just a 4457.

I brought my suppressor with me to RSA and only listed it on my 4457. No issues in RSA or upon return.

@Philip Glass I agree- would love some real clarity on the law. I asked the people at CBP and they said no issue as long as its on the 4457. Since they are Customs, I took them at their word and it proved correct.

Regarding the ATF's opinion, I'm not sure. Since its not a suppressor purchased overseas and imported into the US (just a temporary import/export of a US purchased, US owned item), maybe they don't have jurisdiction? I didn't see any ATF guys at the customs booth when we returned to the US.

I took a gamble when I took mine with, but it all worked out great and I'm glad I did. Hopefully this Hearing Protection Act passes. Time to take the mystery out of suppressors- its a hearing protection device that lessens the noise pollution of firearms- not some nefarious assassin tool or something like portrayed in the movies.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old thread but I'd be interested in hearing if anything has changed. I have a .30 cal suppressor that I have on a NFA trust.

As I understand the National Firearms Act, to take a NFA item out of your state of residence, you have to notify the ATF and get their permission. Yes it is ridiculous but it is the law. Thus, do you have to ask ATF for permission to take it out of the country and return with it. I understand that you'd have to put it on the Customs Form 4457.

It would almost be worth it to buy one in SA and gift it to the PH or perhaps borrow one that has standard imperial threads.

(I have read elsewhere suppressors do not require the Form 5320.20 Application to Transport)

Last edited:
What? what? <not hearing what was written> Sure, fmr. SOS Killary Klinton hands those letters out like library cards....I think they look silly, and take some of the fun out of shooting/hunting. If hunting in populated areas and/or have a habit of missing, they are "the bomb!" IF you have a loud gun and make the first shot count, there's no need. If you need it for the 2nd animal because the property is too small, perhaps you should re-evaluate where you're hunting. I'm sure many are loaner/rental guns for playing whack-a-mole on smallish SA properties. ;) Hearing protection is advisable, though not always possible with targets of opportunity...When hunting out in the wide open spaces of nature as a teen, bagging that big buck was a tie to hearing that .300 Win Mag roar and echo through the hills and dales...My $0.02. (I'm not selling the latest, greatest widgets.) I have inserted $0.50-$2 hearing protection when necessary. Those appear in no registry... ;)

What? what? <not hearing what was written> Sure, fmr. SOS Killary Klinton hands those letters out like library cards....I think they look silly, and take some of the fun out of shooting/hunting. If hunting in populated areas and/or have a habit of missing, they are "the bomb!" IF you have a loud gun and make the first shot count, there's no need. If you need it for the 2nd animal because the property is too small, perhaps you should re-evaluate where you're hunting. I'm sure many are loaner/rental guns for playing whack-a-mole on smallish SA properties. ;) Hearing protection is advisable, though not always possible with targets of opportunity...When hunting out in the wide open spaces of nature as a teen, bagging that big buck was a tie to hearing that .300 Win Mag roar and echo through the hills and dales...My $0.02. (I'm not selling the latest, greatest widgets.) I have inserted $0.50-$2 hearing protection when necessary. Those appear in no registry... ;)
What I like about the suppressor is that it controls recoil without deafening the PH and trackers like a muzzle brake would do. As to regular hearing protection, I tend to wear electronic muffs which amplify sound but cut off with the shot. It is a better way for my old ears to hear Bambi sneaking up on me.

I know this is an old thread but I'd be interested in hearing if anything has changed. I have a .30 cal suppressor that I have on a NFA trust.

As I understand the National Firearms Act, to take a NFA item out of your state of residence, you have to notify the ATF and get their permission. Yes it is ridiculous but it is the law. Thus, do you have to ask ATF for permission to take it out of the country and return with it. I understand that you'd have to put it on the Customs Form 4457.

It would almost be worth it to buy one in SA and gift it to the PH or perhaps borrow one that has standard imperial threads.

(I have read elsewhere suppressors do not require the Form 5320.20 Application to Transport)
To transport a machine gun across state lines you need a 5320.2, you DO NOT need that form for a suppressor.

i used them on several animals and didn,t see much difference, between them and non suppressors.

DSCN8585 (3).JPG
DSCN8619 (2).JPG

To transport a machine gun across state lines you need a 5320.2, you DO NOT need that form for a suppressor.

True-provided the state you are traveling to allows suppressors
For someone like me flying out of Boston, MA suppressors are a no go

I notice a number of suppressors in safari photos. Many US-based hunters. Which leads me to a question:

Did all of you folks with suppressors in the pics take your suppressor from the US to Africa with you or did you use one that was available in SA? Perhaps some outfitters/safari operators with suppressors available for your use when you arrived? Or rental guns perhaps?

Just surprised by how many different folks have suppressors in photos. I think they are a terrific idea - all the benefits of a brake without the significant drawback. I will own one/more suppressors at some point - just haven't found the energy to go through the hassle in the US to do so.
Very easy put it on a customs 4457 like your weapon and take them. No one really cares . They are bought over the counter in SA no paperwork needed

B47FA51C-754A-4F0A-8CC6-D1292506EF57.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very easy put it on a customs 4457 like your weapon and take them. No one really cares . They are bought over the counter in SA no paperwork needed

Yup. This is what I do and have had no issues so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!