Suppressors for heavy game rifles

well, the way ATF drags on and on and on and....it would be some time before i would do any thread work, IF I found one. I'll have a fair amount of practice before I would ever be able to take it home.

When you say "not bad to shoot" can you give me a reference point? a comparison of what I might expect on rounds 1-10?

I think a 300 Win Mag can be worse than a 375 H&H. Put a better recoil pad on if necessary but don't put a suppressor on it.

I'll keep that in mind. I have fired one of those at the local range one day. the guy had never fired rifles, and was trying to make sure he was hitting at 200 yd. I made that confirmation for him.

Have you tried the recoil reducers? I saw a thread this evening that spoke highly of them.

I'll keep that in mind. I have fired one of those at the local range one day. the guy had never fired rifles, and was trying to make sure he was hitting at 200 yd. I made that confirmation for him.

Have you tried the recoil reducers? I saw a thread this evening that spoke highly of them.

aren't suppressors for sissies? sorry guy's had to do this and hijack your thread!! :ROFLMAO:

Suppressor on that 308 of mine is just delightful! Especially on my always ringing ears

I take it your from an unenlightened countries that believe Hollywood.

We've had them for years and I would dream of having a Desmond with out a moderator. In fact neither would I use a foxing rifle 222 without as it makes them so comfortable to shoot who needs loud bangs! My 243 and 308 also have moderators.

I take it your from an unenlightened countries that believe Hollywood.

We've had them for years and I would dream of having a Desmond with out a moderator. In fact neither would I use a foxing rifle 222 without as it makes them so comfortable to shoot who needs loud bangs! My 243 and 308 also have moderators.
Which one of us are you referring?

I might put a suppressor one day on my 300 Win Mag or 325 WSM, just to reduce recoil and noise.

You'll have no problems finding one for the 300, as most of the 30-cal cans are rated to the pressure of that round. Anything bigger than 30-cal gets slim picking and very pricey. I can give some guidance on the purchase process of individual vs trust if you want to pm me. I used a trust to get mine last year. I intend to get a couple more for smaller calibers. Mine can be used on anything under .30, but better dB reduction comes from the proper sized bore. A .223 is still well attenuated with a .30 can though

Aha! He's the PH I used in SA last year. They do have the joy of suppressors, more readily available than here in the states.
He was just mostly giving me grief :Happy:

Last edited:
It's actually not that hard to obtain one. The annoying part is waiting 4-9 months while the feds have already taken the $200 from you as they have one of forty-some investigators do background checks on everyone. Also, you have to buy the several hundred dollar device and let it sit in the hands of a licensed dealer during this period. Your best bet is to get it through a dealer with an attached gun range so you can at least play with your you in the interim:W Cal 50:

My 300 Win Mag is already threaded at the end, so if I do it eventually, I would just like to attach it on the end of my current barrel. But financially, I'm not willing to do anything right now. I don't really want to put anymore money into my guns. The current administration could change firearm history.

Thanks for offering help though ArmGrunt, I appreciate it.

Dear all:

I recently purchased CZ 550s in 375 and 416 Rigby for future African hunts (haven't been yet ) and, at least for the 375 , use on elk here in Montana. I am having the guns customizied and one thing I have had trouble getting any good information on is the use of noise supressors for rifles such as these--- this is in contrast to muzzle breaks which do not seem like a good idea given the potential hearing loss of every one nearby. I have seen picture on this site and elsewhere of people hunting with rifles having a supressor attached and I know that supressors for these calibers actually exist but are they a good idea?--- do they reduce recoil enough to matter? I would very much appreciate comment on this topic

-pete council
Sidney, Montana
Hi Pete......Yes you are right about the noise bothering others when you touch it off, but I got around that concern for myself and my guide......I gave him a spare set of ear plugs and made sure that he was behind me when I shot. I of course did wear plugs as well. I know for a fact that recoil is substantially reduced by a good muzzle brake. Mine is a KDF which advertises that theirs reduces felt recoil by 40%. I think that it is more to be honest. There are not alot of certified KDF muzzle brake installers and you will need to research it on their web page to find a gunsmith that is certified with them that is close to your residence. I put mine on a Ruger#1B in 338 Winchester Magnum and feel that the money was well spent. The rifle is now a joy to shoot and all that have shot it, wanted to buy it on the spot. Including the outfitter and guide I used in British Columbia . Of course I wont sell it, but must admit.......I am kinda partial to it now that its a joy to shoot !!! I hope that I helped you....... James

thanks to everyone for your comment --- this gives me some perspective...I am going to have my 375 and 416 customizied to not use a muzzle brake or suppressor--- I think the handling of the rifle in the field is paramount here

This has been an interesting thread!

thanks to everyone for your comment --- this gives me some perspective...I am going to have my 375 and 416 customizied to not use a muzzle brake or suppressor--- I think the handling of the rifle in the field is paramount here

Ya Pete...it is not really for sissies! but for men! :E Happy:

Silencer / suppressor are prohibited in Canada. If you have some basic skills they are easy to make. Google is your friend. .... :D

More rifles here have suppressors (moderators in English ;)) than don't.

They ruin the looks and the handling is compromised but the latter can be sorted with a shorter barrel if you can live with the subsequent drop in velocity.

I have a couple but they wouldn't find themselves on a DG rifle. Would happily use one for PG mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.