Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, RSA (Limpopo, Eastern Cape), Zimbabwe (Omay North X 2, Dande Safari Area, Dande East), Botswana
For those on the forum who reside in Texas, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission (TPWC) is seeking public comment on a proposed rule change allowing the use of suppressors on firearms for the hunting of game species.

As stated in a NRA-ILA Alert:

Currently, Texas law permits the use of lawfully-possessed suppressors for all other shooting activities, including the taking of nuisance species. Enactment of this rule change would ensure that hunting is treated the same way as other shooting activities with respect to the use of suppressors, and allow all hunters to reap the many benefits suppressor use provides.

There is an incredible amount of misinformation on what suppressors do and how they may be acquired. Suppressors are not "silencers", as depicted in typical Hollywood action film. While suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report in a manner similar to the way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a vehicle. The benefits associated with suppressor use include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution.

According to the information accompanying the release of the proposed state rules, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has determined that "there is no resource- or enforcement-related reason to prohibit the use of firearm silencers for the take of alligators, game animals or game birds, and therefore proposes to eliminate the current prohibition."

Information concerning this proposed rule change can be found on the Texas Parks and Wildlife website by following this link (bottom couple paragraphs on the web page):

TPWD: News Release: Jan. 30, 2012: TPWD Proposes Opening Deer Hunting Near Dallas

Anyhow, for those so inclined, comments can be sent to:

Robert Macdonald
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
4200 Smith School Road
Austin, Texas 78744
(512) 389-4775
robert.macdonald@tpwd.state.tx.us

For what it's worth I've included what I sent below:

To Whom It May Concern:

As the owner of a relatively small piece of Texas property and the father of three children, I strongly support the use of suppressors for hunting. As you well know, suppressors are not "silencers" as Hollywood likes to portray. They are wonderful recoil and noise reducers, and both these attributes are critical to me for the following reasons:

1. Reduced recoil makes for better marksmanship.

2. The use of suppressors permits young people or those of smaller stature to hunt comfortably with a suitable caliber without the need for muzzle brakes (which, by the way, should be prohibited) or excessively heavy firearms to reduce recoil.

3. Several places like mine are the result of larger ranches that have been subdivided. As a result, hunters end up in much closer proximity. At times it seems to be a race to see who can fire first, since the report of the firearm scares game animals on several surrounding properties. The noise reduction a suppressor offers can significantly reduce the effect on game located on surrounding properties, and it could certainly lessen the ill feelings that arise following the first shot of the morning ....

There are no sound reasons to continue to prohibit the use of suppressors for hunting game animals. The take of game animals in Texas is very well managed and regulated, and countries such as the UK require the use of suppressors for hearing conservation reasons.

Email sent. Link was also forwarded to all of my hunting buddys here in Texas. Thanks Shakey!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois