Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, HFMA, and a Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Hunted
South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
Hey All,

With the relaxing of form 4 and e-forms with the ATF, I am looking to get a suppressor. I’d love to say it’s for hunting Africa but let’s be honest, I’m looking to do this for local hunting - deer and hogs.

The primary rifle will be a Remington 700 SPS 20” heavy barrel In 308. I own it, it’s pre-threaded…and it actually groups sub 1/2” at 100 yards as a factory rifle with my hand loads. So, yeah, it’s a solid rifle that delivers. My secondary rifle would be my POF 308 AR10…but I’m not married to that as a requirement. The ability to swap the Can on multiple rifles would be a nice thing.

My biggest priorities are being self-servicable, then quietness. Anything else is “nice to have”. Low weight, shortness, etc. all take a back seat to serviceability and quiet. If I can get light weight, then great! But the rifle is already a heavy enough thing, so weight is kind of Irrelevant. It is not now, nor will it ever be a sheep rifle.

Cost…well, I’m doing this once. So, yeah, I’ll pay a bit extra for quality.

I’m open to any thoughts from the folks here. Give me the good, the bad and the ugly please!

I don’t think serviceability is a concern with center fire rifle cans. Most have lifetime warranties anyways. Do you only shoot off the bench? Because adding a pound to a 10 pound rifle does make a difference. And then once you consider it’s a pound out past the end of the barrel, it completely changes the balance and characteristics. I have one (Griffin Armament Recce) and love it. I put their taper mount brakes on every rifle I want to use it on and then it’s a quick thread to go from one rifle to the next. .223, 7mag, 300blk, 308, etc

I’m working on load development still, but so far I have found precision shooting to be hampered by the can. At some point I may try developing a load specifically for the can, but at this point it’s not for long shots.

I have a Thunderbeast on my Heym 308. It’s a tack driver and a pleasure to shoot. Honestly tough to reach for any other gun in the safe once you start shooting suppressed. They have a detachable brake system, so I have the same brake for my 6.5x284, Blaser 308, and .556.

With most suppressors ‘servicing’ is not needed or recommended.

There are a lot of fine makers out there now. You may want to reach out to one the big suppressor dealers and discuss your wants and needs with them. I am currently waiting on one from The Silencer Shop in Austin right now. There is also Silencer Central up in South Dakota.

A website that might be helpful is pewscience.com

The Scandinavians have led the way in Europe for some time in moderator development. Hausken make a number of good moderators. The Extreme version has stainless steel mesh wrapped between the baffles. It does a great job of suppressing the report.
Aluminium silencers should be regarded as replaceable at a future date. The gases do cut the baffles. However on a pure hunting rifle it is going to take a long time to burn one out.
Shooting on ranges people tend to use stainless steel moderators. Although I saw an ASE Utra deliberately destroyed on uTube being used on a SAW I’ve yet to hear of one giving up the ghost in normal use.

I have ASE Jet-Z mods on both my 7mm08 and 308 hunting rifles. They do see quite a lot of range work as well as hunting so they are well used. They are quite heavy but totally bomb proof and very quiet. They are not designed to be dismantled (which I know was desired in the OP's initial posting) but have worked perfectly rain or shine for the past eight years. I did a quick bore scope look about 18 months ago and there was limited signs of gas erosion but nothing that worried me.

If you want light weight mods look at some of the Titanium offerings. They are expensive but you'll on ever have to buy one. In the UK perhaps the best known in this arena are http://www.lawrenceprecision.co.uk/

FN

I don’t think serviceability is a concern with center fire rifle cans. Most have lifetime warranties anyways. Do you only shoot off the bench? Because adding a pound to a 10 pound rifle does make a difference. And then once you consider it’s a pound out past the end of the barrel, it completely changes the balance and characteristics. I have one (Griffin Armament Recce) and love it. I put their taper mount brakes on every rifle I want to use it on and then it’s a quick thread to go from one rifle to the next. .223, 7mag, 300blk, 308, etc

I’m working on load development still, but so far I have found precision shooting to be hampered by the can. At some point I may try developing a load specifically for the can, but at this point it’s not for long shots.

I’ll second the vote for Recce 7. Like Tucson I have the taper mount in all my rifles.
POI change is typical with most rifles. Mine tends to live on my Ruger GS scout. With that rifle there is little to no POI shift.

+1 on the silencerco omega. I have their QD muzzle breaks on 5 rifles which allows the unit to be swapped out quickly.

Hey All,

With the relaxing of form 4 and e-forms with the ATF, I am looking to get a suppressor. I’d love to say it’s for hunting Africa but let’s be honest, I’m looking to do this for local hunting - deer and hogs.

The primary rifle will be a Remington 700 SPS 20” heavy barrel In 308. I own it, it’s pre-threaded…and it actually groups sub 1/2” at 100 yards as a factory rifle with my hand loads. So, yeah, it’s a solid rifle that delivers. My secondary rifle would be my POF 308 AR10…but I’m not married to that as a requirement. The ability to swap the Can on multiple rifles would be a nice thing.

My biggest priorities are being self-servicable, then quietness. Anything else is “nice to have”. Low weight, shortness, etc. all take a back seat to serviceability and quiet. If I can get light weight, then great! But the rifle is already a heavy enough thing, so weight is kind of Irrelevant. It is not now, nor will it ever be a sheep rifle.

I’m open to any thoughts from the folks here. Give me the good, the bad and the ugly please!
THere is nothing that compares to the Thunderbeast Ultra 5. At 5” and 6 ounces it is by far the best hunting suppressor on the market.
or you can be like all my friends and have a foot long heavy trot line weight on your barrel!
Suppressors do not need to be serviceable nor do they need to be full auto raTed unless you are, well, shooting them with a machine gun! So take what you hear from guys wih a grain of salt.
Also don’t fall into the trap (like first safari) of this being once in a lifetime.
Happy Suppressor shopping!
Philip

I swap mine onto a 10/22 that is tuned for subsonic ammo. With a thermal on top it has led to the demise of a number of feral cats that come prowling around at night.

I've had a Thompsom Machine 30 cal. for like 7 years now. I've swapped it between my 30-06, 308 Win., 300 BLK and my 22 LR with no issues. I really enjoy it on my 300 BLK sub-sonic for deer hunting around the hood, not alerting or upsetting the neighbors is a big plus. It is a bit heavy, but it really never bothered me. I am considering one of their titanium models though to cut the weight in half, thinking that might make things more manageable for the wife and grand kids.

I have a Silencerco Harvester 300 and a Silencerco Hybrid 46. Typical of my decision making process, I used a spreadsheet to help make my decision. I wanted direct thread suppressors. I was also interested in report and recoil reduction more than weight and length - generally, there is a trade-off here between dB reduction and size. I love shooting surpressed and am in the process of having each of my firearms set up to do so.

After using my cans extensively and shooting several others, I'm convinced an over barrel suppressor is the best option *for me*. It provides a nice combo of effectively reducing report (dB) and recoil, while only adding modestly to overall length. Over-barrel suppressors are difficult to find in the US. There are a bunch of these available in Europe/UK. Note that suppressors are much less expensive in Europe/UK than in the US - it's difficult to find one in the UK that costs more than £400 (US$520). If I ever get my act togethers and get my UK firearms license I'll very likely purchase this one, despire it being one of the most expensive on the market here in the UK: https://www.freyr-devik.no/range (Featherweight 269). Note this can weighs only 9.5 oz, adds less than 6" to barrel length, yet still delivers 32dB plus in report reduction.

My Harvester rides on my 308 Win and does a terrific job of reducing report, recoil, and muzzle jump. I can watch the bullet impact the target with the Harvester installed. It also does a remarkable job reducing report and recoil on my 300 WM. It also can be used on my 6.5s and 223s with different front caps and direct thread inserts. But it is 9" long and weighs over 11 oz. On my 20" Bergara 308 it's manageable. On my 26" 300 WM you could simply reach out and knock your target over rather than shoot it.

The Hybrid 46 currently rides on my AR 450 BM but will also get a trial run on my 375 H&H. It also is direct thread and multi-caliber. But it also is almost 8" long and weighs over 17 oz.

Take a looks at the KGM 30. I have one in jail at the moment. They seem like a good company m, and from what I understand they actually manufacture a lot of the other cans on the market for other companies, like dead air.

I have a Harvester, a YHM Resonator, a YHM Resonator K, and a YHM Resonator 2 in jail and waiting. The YHM's are a fantastic, economic, and sturdy unit, and the compact Resonator K will give any compact on the planet a run for their money. They come with a quick change mount (muzzle break or flash hider) so you can switch them quick and easy from rifle to rifle. The .30 cal cans are the way to go IMO.

Hey All,

I think for a dedicated hunting silencer you should pick the can with the best reduction and least first round pop variation. The only thing that makes me wonder with your requirements is how hard you are going to try and push that AR-10. You may need to consider something with rapid fire capabilities.

I went the full auto capable route and got a titanium AR-QA 7.62 from Ballistic Research and Machine. I got it for AR use and have used it for 5.56 supersonics, 300 BLK subsonics, and 300 WM supersonics. I was impressed with the utter elimination of recoil in my 300 WM. The QD attachment muzzle breaks are fierce. You have no friends at the range with them unsuppressed, but they are producing negative recoil with a 5.56. I have not fired the 300WM unsuppressed yet. They are very repeatable with all the changes of suppressor on and off.
https://brm-silencers.com/
+1 on the silencerco omega. I have their QD muzzle breaks on 5 rifles which allows the unit to be swapped out quickly.
Solid advice. I have three guns on a QD setup. At some point it might be nice to have two suppressors. Make sure whatever company you're buying into with their specific adaptors has products that suit all your needs.
The Hybrid 46 currently rides on my AR 450 BM but will also get a trial run on my 375 H&H. It also is direct thread and multi-caliber. But it also is almost 8" long and weighs over 17 oz.
I'd like to hear how the .375 test goes. Will it handle the volume and pressure?
I have a Harvester, a YHM Resonator, a YHM Resonator K, and a YHM Resonator 2 in jail and waiting. The YHM's are a fantastic, economic, and sturdy unit, and the compact Resonator K will give any compact on the planet a run for their money. They come with a quick change mount (muzzle break or flash hider) so you can switch them quick and easy from rifle to rifle. The .30 cal cans are the way to go IMO.
There's a lot of good things being said about YHM here. How many different guns are you running suppressed at the same time?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.47.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.47.27 AM.png
    433.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.47.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.47.30 AM.png
    664.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.47.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.47.32 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
I own a Rugged Razor 7.62 suppressor and like it a lot. Mine is for AR rifles, not sure if it will work on a rifle without an adapter.

1650404669846.png

I have the 30 cal DeadAir Sandman-S. A downside, if you can call it (see any porting/braking thread), is the requirement for a key mount muzzle brake at ~$80 per unit. But, it's extremely versatile. I run it on all my MSRs, my 6.5, 308, 300 Win Mag, etc. And if I ever hit the Powerball, it's full auto rated.

Both your rifles are threaded 5/8x24 so dual use should be easy. There are enough options out there that they will all start looking the same.

Check out AB Supressors. Nicest cans I have ever seen and built to order.

For hunting I currently use AAC Jaeger which on .308 is as quiet as I have heard and extremely light weight. I have beaten mine against half the trees and boulders in the Bighorn Mountains with no issue. Only negatives are length when hiking (like most cans) and they are not full auto rated which is what you would want on an AR10 (or what I would want).

I am awaiting transfer of AB Suppressor’s Raptor cans with Reflex chambers. The reflex is an over barrel expansion chamber that works to shorten the overall length of your canned rifle without sacrificing sound reduction. You can choose the number of baffles and length of reflex, focusing on light weight or maximum sound reduction. I ordered for light weight and short length. Probably also going to pick up a ten baffel with 5” reflex for a super quiet Scar 17. They are full auto rated and the finest machine quality I have seen. Nice people too, made in Kansas.

If going for a bigger brand or a more common name, I would focus on companies that supply the US military. They tend to have their stuff figured out and have less duds leaving the factory

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.43.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.43.51 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.43.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.43.53 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.43.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.43.55 AM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.43.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.43.57 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross