Suppressed .416 Rigby

717gunnner

Reaction score
Media
My last name is Rigby, so I've always wanted a .416. A few years ago while still living in Alaska, I walked into Cabelas where there was a CZ550 waiting for me (the only 416 I'd ever be able to afford). With no objection from the Mrs, I took it home with me. I grabbed some reloading supplies on the way back to my village and spent the next several weeks loading and shooting. I took it with me on a few unsuccessful subsistence bear hunts, but we moved out of Alaska the following year before I could take one.

Now living in PA, I knew I wasn't ever going to have a practical use for the caliber, so it was time to have some fun. Last year I added Form 1 suppressor building to my growing list of DIY firearm related hobbies. After building my first few suppressors, I thought, why not suppress my 416? Research quickly came up empty, I couldn't even find a threaded 416, let alone a suppressed one (not surprised).

I contacted my gunsmith about threading my CZ and discussed a few challenges. We were both shooting in the dark considering the barrel taper, soldered on front sight band, and the barrel profile being too narrow for a good shoulder without a collard. Thankfully my gunsmith was willing to give it a shot.

I was able to source a new sight band from CZ in case the original was damaged during removal (which it was). The next issue was getting the sight band fitted further back on the barrel given the taper. He was able to heat the band up enough to stretch it further back on the barrel. After that he had no issues concentrically threading the barrel (5/8-24), turning a collard, and installing it between the threads and sight band.

IMG_0017.jpeg

I designed and built the suppressor based off of a .338 Lapua suppressor. The tube and mounts are made from Grade 9 titanium and the baffles are made from 17-4 H900 heat treated stainless steel. I'm planning to shoot both standard and reduced power loads through it.

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0017-2.jpeg
    IMG_0017-2.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0017.jpeg
    IMG_0017.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited by a moderator:
717gunner, welcome to the forum!
Man that is one long pipe!

Would look pretty cool mounted on a gun carriage. Seriously though, would you really consider taking that long a rifle into the woods and jess, or is this a rifle for fun at the range?

Cool project.
Are you getting a FPS increase with the suppressor?
What is the suppressor weight?

Interesting project

Welcome to AH:S Welcome: Great first post and cool project.

Would look pretty cool mounted on a gun carriage. Seriously though, would you really consider taking that long a rifle into the woods and jess, or is this a rifle for fun at the range?

Purely a range toy. If I had any intention of hunting with this I'd shorten the barrel to 20" (if the ballistics even made sense) and reduce the suppressor length to 8-9".

Cool project.
Are you getting a FPS increase with the suppressor?
What is the suppressor weight?

I need to borrow a Chronograph to find out. Suppressor weight is 22oz.

My last name is Rigby, so I've always wanted a .416. A few years ago while still living in Alaska, I walked into Cabelas where there was a CZ550 waiting for me (the only 416 I'd ever be able to afford). With no objection from the Mrs, I took it home with me. I grabbed some reloading supplies on the way back to my village and spent the next several weeks loading and shooting. I took it with me on a few unsuccessful subsistence bear hunts, but we moved out of Alaska the following year before I could take one.

Now living in PA, I knew I wasn't ever going to have a practical use for the caliber, so it was time to have some fun. Last year I added Form 1 suppressor building to my growing list of DIY firearm related hobbies. After building my first few suppressors, I thought, why not suppress my 416? Research quickly came up empty, I couldn't even find a threaded 416, let alone a suppressed one (not surprised).

I contacted my gunsmith about threading my CZ and discussed a few challenges. We were both shooting in the dark considering the barrel taper, soldered on front sight band, and the barrel profile being too narrow for a good shoulder without a collard. Thankfully my gunsmith was willing to give it a shot.

I was able to source a new sight band from CZ in case the original was damaged during removal (which it was). The next issue was getting the sight band fitted further back on the barrel given the taper. He was able to heat the band up enough to stretch it further back on the barrel. After that he had no issues concentrically threading the barrel (5/8-24), turning a collard, and installing it between the threads and sight band.

IMG_0017.jpeg

I designed and built the suppressor based off of a .338 Lapua suppressor. The tube and mounts are made from Grade 9 titanium and the baffles are made from 17-4 H900 heat treated stainless steel. I'm planning to shoot both standard and reduced power loads through it.

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG
That’s exactly what I’m trying to have done with mine as well! I’ve got the suppressor for it just need to have my CZ 550 Safari .416 Rigby barrel threaded. My hope is to retain the front sight as well as I do still plan to use this particular rifle on my next trip across the pond for close quarters shots on Cape Buffalo. I’m wanting ti go suppressed for most of the same reasons you are to make the rifle a bit more enjoyable to shoot for other large game in North America as well. I’d be very interested in hearing some shooting results being that apparently you and I are the only two out there that are going to be running .426 Rigby suppressed. I’ll be running mine with a Banish 46 can. Hope to hear an update preferably with a few factory loads as well since I’m not a reloader myself. Best of luck!

Seems intriguing and very futuristic looking.

Don’t know that I would ever do that to mine, but thank you for the idea. It is a fine looking setup. How long is the suppressor? What are your db readings with and without the can?

Ha. Fantastic!

How's the recoil? Pretty tame I'd imagine.

Purely a range toy. If I had any intention of hunting with this I'd shorten the barrel to 20" (if the ballistics even made sense) and reduce the suppressor length to 8-9".
IMO - You would still have a rifle with a 28" barrel with a weight on the end of it...turning it into an unbalanced club. Keep it as is for a range rifle because it looks like a ton of fun. Then remove the suppressor (and install a thread protector) for hunting use. It will be much better balanced for the intended purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg