Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Hungary
Has anyone got a tested and true recipe for this? I'm off work until the end of the year, prior to that Italian job. I thought I'd give a go at reloading some, but I don't have a chrono for testing what I come up with. A quick search shows my R8 had a 1:11 twist.

Thanks for the help!
20181206_160538.jpeg

My brother-in-law has a browning a bolt-ii with the med barrel on it. He had it threaded and put a 30 cal can on it. First shot with hsm Berger’s blew it off the gun. Took it to the smith and he said the threads couldn’t take the pressure. Had it rethreded for a break only. I would start out very light and just be careful. People do it but that blaser is a pretty gun to mess up. Good luck.

ArmyGrunt, I have a YHM .30 cal suppressor (stainless steel, so heavy) with QR adapters I’ve switched between a Tikka Lite 300WM, an Ar-15 223, Mini-14 223, Remington 30-06 and a spindly Kimber 243. Seems to work on all. It does change the POI substantially in as much as 7” at 100 yards.
The 300WM runs using Hodgdon’s Trail Boss recipe at over 1300 FPS with 150 gr bullets. Haven’t found anything slower yet. Still looking for a 200-220 gr subsonic load.
Best of luck! I’ll be watching for someone to come up with a slower load.

If your looking for a sub-sonic 30 cal. my suggestion would be to pick up an inexpensive Ruger Ranch rifle in 300 Blackout. I got one a few years ago and it is sweet.

Did anything in the OP indicate he was looking for a reduced load? If so I missed it.

Did anything in the OP indicate he was looking for a reduced load? If so I missed it.
Oops...that’s what I get for making assumptions!
Good point!

I'm looking for a good mix that will make the bang into more of a pew, but not buying a new gun. I've resolved myself to stay where I am in collection, and use the gun money more for travel money

If you really want something quiet out of a 300WM, you might look at subcaliber inserts for a cartridge that you can reduce the velocity to subsonic.
My full velocity loads reduce the sound and recoil substantially, but you still get the supersonic crack.

Interesting that I had another friend mention an insert. Guess I'll have a look at that. He also voted to find a Blackout if I can

Make that 2 votes for a Blackout. The Ruger Ranch rifle is selling around here for $379.95

Using a sub caliber insert in .300 Blackout would require a smaller bolt face. I think that’s easily done in a Blaser but at a cost.Anysub calibre would use a different case/boldface
Are theBlaser barrels interchangeable?
You might take the crack out of a .300wm with the can but if you are serious about using a Blackout. I think they are 2 different ranges and ballparks
If you want to use a suppressor on a .300wm would you consider reduced loads? Same case maybe different powder.
I looked at reduced loads for .308. 2 easy options in Australia. Trailboss powder to do subsonic loads.
Reduced loads of AR2206H powder. This can be run at 60% of the maximum load charge in any case that it is listed for. You can email Thales/ADI and they will confirm this in writing. The 60% rule
This is also bottled as Hodgdon H4895. Again verify this for yourself.
ADI list a AR2206H load for a .300wm using a 168gn bullet.
My research on true subsonic .30 cal ammo suggests that they use 220gn projectiles.
These are expensive but designed to work correctly at the lower velocities.
Lehigh Defense is one brand. I actually purchased some Nosler subsonic projectiles in 220gn BT in oz 2 weeks back
I have loaded reduced loads for .308 To try reduced recoil for someone. I have used Trailboss to see how quiet they are. About a .22 magnum crack.
I have not tried the proper projectiles yet! I’ve used 130gn hollow point or 150gn soft point.
I don’t own a suppressor they are tightly restricted in Australia.
I did do reduced recoil and used subsonic loads to despatch trapped pigs successfully with the projectiles stated.
I liken it to saying if you throw a cinder block instead of a house brick it’s going to come in slower and hit with a great thud still.
I hope that helps

What suppressor do you have on the R8?

I’m sorry folks, but I truly don’t get the whole suppressor thing - particularly on a .300 WM. Though I admit I am a Luddite about many things of our quaint little period in history. First of all, it turns a wonderfully balanced rifle like this R8 into a something with the handling and maneuvering characteristics of a surf rod. Secondly, who needs a glorified 30 cal pistol round if shooting subsonic? I wouldn’t use such a load on feral hogs, and I hate feral hogs. And I can’t believe an experienced hunter really finds recoil from a .300 WM that unmanageable - and I at least would never trade handling and usability for that recoil reduction. Finally, the whole noise abatement argument, at least with my AR platform, is anything but mute as well (yes, that was deliberate ;) ). The suppressor really doesn’t make that much difference with full service loads. One reason the Army never got that carried away with them for our sniper teams. Anyway, in spite of having a couple, I really don’t get them.

I use one on my AR in 6.5 Grendel shooting with a thermal for night time hog control. Very useful when you have 3 or 4 folks standing abreast with a sustained high rate of fire. It is a very useful tool in that application.

I find it really eliminates the muzzle blast and so what you are getting is the sonic crack which is well out in front of you. If you stand 100 yds from two 6.5’s running, one suppressed, the other not, the difference is very noticeable. Something I’m sure the neighbors appreciate at 1 AM.

I have a Griffin Armament Recce7. I did thread the barrel, and it did make things unbalanced. I didn't mind it too much, and the savings to my tinnitus was greatly appreciated.
As far as RedLeg's experienced hunter comment, I'm not a well practiced hunter. I can deal with the recoil, but I don't always appreciate it. I don't get to shoot often at home, so my shoulder hasn't adapted to it.
However, I'm in Italy for the next year so no trigger therapy for a long time.

I use one on my AR in 6.5 Grendel shooting with a thermal for night time hog control. Very useful when you have 3 or 4 folks standing abreast with a sustained high rate of fire. It is a very useful tool in that application.
How many hogs in front of the firing squad?
We are restricted on the types of toys we can have in Oz but I thought the idea of night vision and suppressors was pest control. Selective aiming and strikes on target using the dark and quiet to your advantage taking out pigs cleanly . Obviously there are big numbers but how long does this sustained high rate of fire run?

We’ve had as many as 30 or so. After spotting them we move in as close as possible, usually 50 to 100 yards, set up on shooting sticks and fire on 3. We keep shooting until we run out of targets. We are using 20 round mags and typically do not empty a mag. As you can imagine, 3 or 4 shooters, standing abreast, each firing 10 to 15 shots as quickly as targets can be acquired, produces a fair bit of muzzle blast and noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!