Suggestions for powders to stockpile

H-4895 is what l go though the fastest. 204 Ruger and .375 H&H
It works it a lot of cartridges. May not be the best powder for some but you could get a load.
Also use a lot of RL-25

See my post under Reloading Room. If you want powder, you best get on it. I had to do some shopping around to find anything today.

Same here. Seems just like the previous shortage/outage. I'll second the notion to get on it! Thankfully I have a pretty good stock laid in of 5744, Trailboss, IMR4350, Benchmark, Varget, pull down milsurp "4895" and Reloader 19, but was light on H4895. Had a heck of a time finding it tonight.

I remember just after the last shortage trying some of the "new" IMR powders that suddenly became available. Didn't have much luck with them and they seemed squirrelly on pressure and predictability. May be mistaken, but I think there was a recall on one of them. Quit them like a bad habit and only got stuck with a couple of pounds.

Pick up whatever you are currently using. If this goes the way it did last time pick up primers as well. Stopped by my powder depot yesterday. Parking lot was full, 14-20 minutes to check out, they said the gun sales upstairs were ridiculous I’ve always have some on hand. .
IMG_8282.JPG

For anyone new to reloading, this isn't a new phenomenon. Supplies run in cycles. The best practice is to load up when supplies are plentiful and prices are low. That was just a month or so ago. Hopefully, getting caught with one's pants down only happens once.

Dang, it was only $195 or so online (incl. shipping). Still, you got some, and I already like it way better than Varget, at least for the Gold Dot 168s I just started shooting. Almost 300 fps faster with the 168s than I was getting with Varget and VLDH 175/ELD-X 178. And the Speer GD 168s have a higher BC than either of the other two.

For anyone new to reloading, this isn't a new phenomenon. Supplies run in cycles. The best practice is to load up when supplies are plentiful and prices are low. That was just a month or so ago. Hopefully, getting caught with one's pants down only happens once.

Powder, primers and ammo supply are sufficient, as is toilet paper. Worried about running out of Girl Scout cookies though. They too are seasonal.

Just bought an 8# jug of CFE223 from Midway about 15 minutes ago.

While they're not 1:1 the same, I've had good luck with IMR 4831 as a slow burner
Sarge
Better go get a couple more 8 # jugs o f cfe223 and some primers and projectiles as well. From what I'm seeing on Facebook about over there gun shops are selling rifles and ammo faster than we are selling dunny paper in Australia.
Cheers mate Bob

also bought (along with the powder)
1000 Gold Dot 168s
1000 primers (Remington 9 1/2 was all I could find, I'll make that work)
1000 bulk match 308 brass
enough boxes to hold 1000 rounds.

when I get halfway through that, I'll start looking again. that was $1000 I wasn't planning on spending this month.

8# of CFE223 should be enough for about 1200 rounds.

1000 Gold Dot 168s

when I get halfway through that, I'll start looking again. that was $1000 I wasn't planning on spending this month.
Sarge
Luckily you've got just enough for a small fighting patrol.

Crazy, Like our toilet paper binge buying at present.
I know in Australia AR2206H is a versatile powder covering many cartridges. Perhaps not optimum velocity in all but compatible with many.

Sarge
Luckily you've got just enough for a small fighting patrol.

The idea is to discourage all but the stupidest of people that they're headed in a direction they really don't want to go, assuming all of this business doesn't settle down before Great Depression II has a chance to kick off.

1000 Gold Dot 168s

8# of CFE223 should be enough for about 1200 rounds.
Sarge
With powder, projectiles and cases have enough for about 3000 rounds but need another 1500 primers. That my usual supply. When I have spare cash I top up for when I'm broke
Cheers mate Bob

Sarge
With powder, projectiles and cases have enough for about 3000 rounds but need another 1500 primers. That my usual supply. When I have spare cash I top up for when I'm broke
Cheers mate Bob

Well, I've got lots of other components for other cartridges, but every bit of it is for hunting rifles, which is not the purpose of my recent purchase. I have just under 500 bullets for my 45-70, a couple hundred each for other calibers, and a variety of powders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross