YancyW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
Veteran reloaders, if you had to pick just a couple rifle powders to last you a very long time, what 2-3 powders would you choose.

Retumbo, Varget, H1000, CFE 233, H4831 and H4350 are pretty much gone.

Any experience with IMR 4451?

This would cover everything from 5.56 to 416s.

I bought 32lbs of Unigue today, so I am set for pistols.

Varget and H4831 are not available in Europe anymore due to REACH regulations (I still have a decent supply at home as I stocked up). I find that Reload Swiss RS40 is a reasonable substitute to Varget and I’ve been using a fair bit of it lately. RS52 is another good, temperature insensitive powder that I use for 308Win. Having good experience with these two powders when the time comes to find replacement for my H4831SC I’ll be trying their RS70 first. Not sure if these powders are available in your area but I’m quite satisfied with these.

Veteran reloaders, if you had to pick just a couple rifle powders to last you a very long time, what 2-3 powders would you choose.

Retumbo, Varget, H1000, CFE 233, H4831 and H4350 are pretty much gone.

Any experience with IMR 4451?

This would cover everything from 5.56 to 416s.

I bought 32lbs of Unigue today, so I am set for pistols.

Just bought an 8# jug of CFE223 from Midway about 15 minutes ago.

While they're not 1:1 the same, I've had good luck with IMR 4831 as a slow burner

Just bought an 8# jug of CFE223 from Midway about 15 minutes ago.

While they're not 1:1 the same, I've had good luck with IMR 4831 as a slow burner

I live about 20 miles from Midway. Will see if I can grab some.

Ah, the great powder shortage of 2020. I've been stocked since the last scare. SMH at those that aren't.

Ah, the great powder shortage of 2020. I've been stocked since the last scare. SMH at those that aren't.

My problem is I got too cute with trying tons of different powders and not find 2 or 3 that will cover everything I care about. I have 100lbs of rifle powders, but not more than 16lbs of any one of them. That is dumb, I should have 2 or 3 that I stack deep.

I'm like Hogpatrol - Still stocked up pretty deep from the last shortage. I did end up alternating some non-Hodgon powders back then (I believe that was around the time that the Hodgon plant burned down??) that I'm still using up too. I'm a Hodgon fan for the most part so if the one's you listed aren't available I'm afraid I can't help much! But if they were I'd choose 4350, Varget and probably 4831. I have no experience with CFE but hear good things.

I use a lot of different Vihtavouri powders, 133, 135, 570. They usually are available albeit not cheap.

I grabbed a few bottles of IMR 4831, other then that I think I'm good for a while.

I have to much. But my three basic are h 4831 superformace and h 100v

Norma MRP - works with heavy-for-calibre bullets in 6.5x55 SE and 30-06. Also works in 404J.
Norma 202 and/or Norma 203B (same as RL-15). - Both are good for 9.3x62, and the both could also work well for 404J.

I just bought 16# of h4831 and 16# imr 4350. Should be a pretty decent stock to work up some good loads for. 470, .375, and 300WM

IMR3031- IMR4895- 203B, RL16 if you can get it - Vihtavuori N550, Alliant 4000MR (burn rate is between RL19 & RL22) works great in 6mm Rem & my 8x68s with 220gr and 250gr bullets, MRP- Vhitavuori 560

Any luck with V140? Grafs has some on sale right now, something like 18% off.
Have not used 140. My main VV cartridges are .17 Fireball, .223 Remington, .20 Practical, 6BR and 28 Nosler. Backup powders that work well for me are Reloder. Perusing VV's load data, 140 is a versatile powder.

Last edited:
I just bought 20 lbs of N320, should last me for 6 months or so.
Rifle powders I have enough for my lifetime.

Picked up a couple cans of Varget that I found in Texas on line the other night. Only other available was stores that did walk in trade only on powder. Also did an order at Grafs for about $300 for other powders, bullets and hard to find Fed 210M primers. LGS hasn't had any for months.

Fortunately, I only use and keep on hand at least 16 pounds of the powders I require to reload my rifles and handguns.

I also stocked up on black powder a couple of years ago and still have a good supply of 2f, 3f and more 4f than I'll probably ever need.

Now bullets is another matter. After reloading all my brass, I only stock pile a couple hundred or so, bullet count, to start reloading again once I start shooting up ammo. But then again I have anywhere from 500 to 2000 rounds of ammo, depending on caliber/gauge setting on my shelves.

I just can't help myself, I admit it! I'm a reloading addict! I need help!.....to maintain a positive supply of reloading supplies.:whistle::whistle:(y):A Thumbs Up:

Powders on hand: H335, H110, IMR4064, Unique, Blue Dot, Winchester 296, RL10, RL7

Also on hand I have 2000 primers each: small pistol, small rifle, large pistol, large rifle, large rifle magnum, large pistol magnum and 209.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!