Suggestions for books/movies for the long plane ride

I've recently enjoyed " What Ever you Do, Don't Run" it's about a photo Safar guide, but still quite entertaining, and also really loved " One Man's Wilderness" the true story about Richard Pronekee's life in the Alaska wilderness , both on Audible.

Not Africa but a great read is the Game, Set Match series by Len Deighton. But only if you like British spy stories. There are 3, 3 book series in all. Have read all nine books several times, great plane books. For light and fast reading I was recently put on to whats known as the Trawler Trash series, about a guy who buys a trawler yacht and gets into all manner of misadventures. Pretty entertaining, non serious reading. I am soon to read the 3rd in the series. It helps if you are a boat guy I suppose which I am, a trawler owner myself, similar to the one in the books. Amazon has them all.

Not exactly Africa, but will make the time pass quickly.

History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon. A little over 4000 pages for all six volumes, but I believe it is a good read based on current events in the USA. So many similarities.

Not exactly Africa, but will make the time pass quickly.

History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon. A little over 4000 pages for all six volumes, but I believe it is a good read based on current events in the USA. So many similarities.

Funny you mention that since I just started reading that. I've come to the same conclusion with current events here in the West.

If you like history, anything Jeff Shaara writes is great. His American civil war stuff is probably best know, but his Mexican-American War (Gone For Soldiers), WW1 & WW2 books are great too. These books are actually fiction novels, but are historically based. The type of books that are hard to put down.

http://jeffshaara.com/shaara_books.php

Screenshot (188).png

Last edited by a moderator:
The best read I have had on the plane....was the words on the back of the box of sleeping pills.

Medicate ...not recommended ...but works for me red wine 2..3 glasses stop an hour before flight with dinner ......in the flight 2 glasses of wine a sleeping pill and hello Joberg ..... have perfected it over the years ...one tip let the flight attendant know you are medicating .......

Make sure and take noise cancelling headphones if you want to watch movies or listen to music. You will actually not be as tired due to limiting the air noise. I have Bose but you can get decent Sonys for $50. Many big airports now have Bestbuy vending machines where you can buy them on your way. Enjoy!
Regards,
Philip

If it doesn't have to hunting/Africa related.... I would highly recommend Brian Kilmeade's Jefferson & Tripoli pirates, and Washington Spies. Watch TV/movies.... cocktails & ambien

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg