Suggested 9.3mm Wildcat

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
for those who want a 9.3 x 64, but not the hassle of getting brass, might consider this.
the 338 win mag case is just like a belted 9.3x64.
the 338 would neck up easily for a ready supply of brass.
you now have a belted ballistic twin.
if having a reamer made, one consideration might be the throat angle.
the 9.3x64 has a much lower angle than the now commonly used 1 degree30 min.
this lower angle definitely affects pressure.
my choice would be to go with the lower angle.
bruce.

Bruce,

If it weren't for guys like yourself there would probably only be 10 different rounds in the entire world.

I enjoy shooting my 6.5 Grendel these days. Nahhh! I don't sing it's praises and Bruce even though I have scads of 6.5 brass and bullets, I have yet to handloader a one as I have a trunk load of that cheap Russian ammo that kills pigs and in a Howa bolt gun shoots pretty damned good.

I got .started on that round a while back when I took an AR in as trade and the rest is history. The 64's, less the one that I built a long time ago, came with a dead guy's collection that I bought sometime back and am still wondering where he got the Russian semi's at. And with those I got a lot of ammo. So unless I go a little nuts I will never have to load them either.

Keep at it Bruce.

I believe that I’m getting about 2700fps with a 250 grain Accubonds out of the 9.3/300 WSM

I am contemplating building a .500 Jeffery to neck down to accommodate a 404 Jeffery bullet in 450gn weight ( using a 500 Jeffery case to neck own to a .423 " , reloading a 450 gn/or a 480 gn bullet .....538 " neck down to a .423"... this will be something interesting I think..will probably an excellent charge stopper ....(y)(y)

gert,
loaded to its potential, you will need seriously good bullets to avoid bullet failure.
a bit of a fire eater to say the least.
should have a flattish trajectory for a 40 cal.
bruce.

" Bullet Failure"?

What is that anyway? Is that when someone buys a bullet that doesn't do what they want it to do?

Or refuses to self guide into the heart and only sniffs out ass instead?

Bruce, it will be a charge stopper on dangerous game, my aim is deep penetration from any angle on a dangerous game animal at 2250 f/s...only premium softs and solids . Bullet weight 450 gn to 480 gn bullet Would you please take a look at this conversion , practical possibility of such a wildcat?

gert,
thank you for the compliment.
first thoughts are what bullets can you get a reliable supply of that you can be sure will deliver the terminal performance required.
eaxmples of this are the 293 gn tug in the 9.3x64 and any conventional bullet in the 7mmstw.
these bullets just can't cope with the extra speed, particularly at closer ranges.
for your stopper, you will need that close range guarantee, probably a monolithic in both soft and solid.
monolithics of the weight you mention will be very long, and will most likely require a faster twist.
do not accept a stability factor (sg) of 1.5.
this might be ok for target shooting, but even long range shooters are now starting to look for a higher sg.
to penetrate game you need serious stability, like 1.8.
the faster you spin a bullet, the more yaw it will have. this probably does not matter at closer ranges, but offers more spindrift at longer ranges, beyond what you need here.
i personally have no experience with solid bullets so am reluctant to offer advice in any datail there.
the 500 jeffery is not in my experience, although i have seen rounds.
from memory it is very big.
how close is the 416 rigby to this case, and can you get bullets for it?
as much as i would like it, i do not have quickload.
could somene give you some suggested loads that has this programme.
it would be a great start if a member here could offer some suggestions here, as to powder types, powder loads, and speeds.
should you build this rifle, and cannot get good enough bullets, what is a backup plan?
at a guess i would think the case will give those bullets the speed you want, and at low pressure.
as long as the pressure is not too low to burn the powder properly.
and using fillers in a case to use up airspace is less than ideal.
bruce.

Cutting edge bullets makes some .366 bullets.
I have never used anything but their brass solids, but the brass solids at least work extremely well.

gert,
more thoughts.
this time on case forming.
necking down the big case would ideally be done in 2 or preferably 3 stages.
say 50 to 47, then 47 to 45, then 45 to 42.
even then the case necks will possibly be thicker on one side than the other, and thicken generally.
the thickness can be solved by reaming the necks, but this can still leave neck concentricity less than ideal.
better is to outside turn the necks, and this is a subject in itself.
i have done this on 405 win brass to even up thickness and concentricity, so know it can be done.
for sizinf dies you would need to get say pacific tool and gauge to make a series of reamers to chamber purchasable die blanks, the smallest one being a minimum full length sizing die for loading ammunition as well.
the problem here is knowing in advance what size to make the neck of this die to give optimum neck tension
then you can use the chambering reamer to make a seating die.
the necks will need to be annealed, as with this much working the brass will probably harden to the point it might be inclined to crack with use.
you could probably spec the fls die for loading with a neck thickness equal to the original case and be safe.
then turn the necks of formed brass to that thickness.
should your bullet bases seat below the neck/shoulder junction you will need to be aware of "donuts" forming here in the cases.
brass flows from the shoulder into the neck and thickens at that junction.
if you are unaware of this happening, pressures on previously safe loads can creep up as the bullet finds it harder and harder to release.
a custom reamer will keep donuts at bay.
in this work a ball micrometer is your friend.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois