Successful travelling with firearms from Canada to France

vandoo

AH member
Reaction score
I followed the recommendations for travelling from Canada to France with firearms and ammunition that were provided on one of the forums. I was even congratulated by the Canadian Custom Agent for knowing the laws and regulations.

First, I went online to get my export/import permit for my firearms and one separate export/import permit for my rifle scope and ammunition.

You easily find the information on the Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development website. You have two forms to complete online. I received two emails with the completed pdf export/import permits one week later. I printed 4 copies. I called to get help and the agents were very helpful and kind.

The Department in France where I was hunting was also issuing hunting license and insurance online. I called to make sure of a few details but I received the hunting license and insurance paper by email the same day. I printed 4 copies. I paid with credit cards for both hunting license and insurance.

You need your Provincial hunting license, your firearms acquisition permit and you are almost good to go.

My recommendations is to complete all this paper work 8 weeks in advance. Print 4 copies and make sure you have your Canadian documents. I also had a letter explaining the purpose of my trip and exactly where I was staying and hunting.

Following airline regulations, I contacted and paid the fees 24 hours prior to departure and you must arrive 30 minutes prior to what is recommended for travelling internationally. Follow this at all cost to ease the stress and papers you must fill before flying. You also need to have your firearms packed and ammunition in a separate luggage. Please put your ammunition in a plastic container, NOT the original box. You will sign a form at the desk and they will put a copy in each luggage. I also put an export/import copy in each of my luggage with a copy of the explanation letter in case TSA opens my suitcases. I also added a large paper with the address where I was staying in France.

I travelled with a 20 gauge and a 9.3x74r. Both firearms are side-by-side doubles and my rifle has a scope. They are both classified as C firearms in France which helps since you are not required to get any permission to travel with your C firearms in France if you have your Canadian firearms license. You are allowed to travel with 100 cartridges maximum. I personally travelled with 50x20 gauge and 20x9.3x74r. You need to make a verbal declaration to the French costum agents at your arrival. They looked at my papers and said no problem, have a nice hunt.

On my way back, the Air Canada Agent at the Airport was nervous as I was his first hunter travelling back to Canada. His boss came and wanted to inspect all my luggage and firearms. I allowed this and showed everything they wanted to see. This is why you must arrive 30 minutes prior to what is recommended for international flights. The boss was not very polite and very direct but I maintained my cordiality and answered all the question she had. Obviously, she hated guns, ammunition and hunters. She inspected everything. I allowed her to do that but my firearms had locks and were taken down. My ammunition was in a separate luggage. I had the papers. She eventually let us register our luggage. It was not that bad. It happens to have this behavior when you are a hunter or shooting competitor.

On my way back, I simply declared I was carrying firearms and ammunition at the Canadian customs. I had to wait in line approximately 45 minutes. When I met the Custom Agent, I gave him all my papers (import/export form, letter of intent, Canadian firearms license, French hunting license) and he actually congratulated me for knowing the law. I had no problems at the Canadian customs.

Well, my duck hunt was great. My boar hunt was not that great but overall, it was a fantastic hunting trip. I actually missed a deer and boar. My fault...

Glad you made it safe and sound with your guns. Congrats on your hunt.

I made the mistake of including rifle and scope on the same application. Doing it over once letter of invitation arrives. I am not leaving until early March so I hope I get it correct by then.

Were you able to include scope and ammunition on one application, and the firearm on a separate one? Or were three separate application s necessary? Thank!

Do you need the permit to import scope to France or export out of Canada? I wasn’t aware there were any restrictions on scopes in EU. You can buy them online here without any issues.

Do you need the permit to import scope to France or export out of Canada? I wasn’t aware there were any restrictions on scopes in EU. You can buy them online here without any issues.

Canadians require a permit to temporarily export firearms and scopes from the country.

Were you able to include scope and ammunition on one application, and the firearm on a separate one? Or were three separate application s necessary? Thank!

Firearms on one application
ECL # 2-1.a
Scopes and Ammunition on another.

ECL # 2-3.a; 5400

They are considered different types of "goods"

Is the scope and ammunition the same.ecl code you listed? I am having a hard time finding an ecl code list.

The letter I sent in support and the two export permits that came back with the ECL codes as noted. :)

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 17.08.16.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 17.08.42.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 17.09.03.png

Thank you for posting! I hope it goes well after I get invitation letter. Took me 20 mins just to get that website to accept my phone number. Good grief lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg