Study Confirms Four Species Of Giraffe

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

New findings reported on 5 May in the peer-reviewed publication, Current Biology, make a strong case for recognizing four distinct giraffe species. This is a major step in protecting each species, some of which are under severe threat in the wild, said the Giraffe Conservation Foundation (GFC).

The researchers who authored the study point out that a consensus on the number of giraffe species was paramount incorrectly assessing their individual conservation status and afford each species adequate protection based on their level of threat on the IUCN Red List.

Until recently, giraffes were widely recognized as one single species with several subspecies. In 2016, the collaborative research of the GCF, Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre, and partners suggested otherwise by first introducing the concept for four distinct species of giraffe. This new taxonomy is now further supported by the most inclusive genomic level analysis of giraffe relationships, which clearly confirms that there are indeed four species of giraffe.

The latest estimates of the GCF show that there is only 117,000 giraffe remaining in the wild throughout Africa. This leaves only one giraffe for every four African elephants in the wild. Giraffe numbers have dropped by almost 30% over the last three decades as a result of habitat loss and fragmentation, poaching, disease, civil war, and climate change. However, it is important to note that numbers vary greatly between the four species as does the level of threat they are facing. To put it simply: some giraffe species are in serious trouble while others are doing relatively well.
Screenshot_23.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!