Straight-Wall Rimmed Wildcat Ideas

If you pop over to you tube, have a look for "Bloke on the Range" and a guy called "The Chap" or "Chap on the range" - they are both Brits who live in Switzerland and are engineers by background. They do lots of interesting videos on older Swiss guns.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Thanks! I will have to watch them. I have used the 32 Smith and Wesson long as well. Cases bulge a bit , but it functions and shoots great.

In Canada one of the only ways to use a handgun other than at a government approved range is to purchase an antique. Some handguns made before. 1897 qualify .

Another lady was killed by a bear here this week. I think it is the 4th fatality this year from bears. I always have a rifles and handy, but having a little handgun that can make some noise is comforting as well. I work alone in the woods in very remote locations, and I prefer my bear spray to spray lead not condiments.

Most of the little Swiss revolvers appear almost new and function perfect!

@Round Ball
That would be awesome if you loaded 400gn cast bullets. Awesome penetration. I read about a person that built a 444 marlin single shot long throated for the 400s with a one in 20 twist and was getting 1600fps with them. You should get a lot quicker than that.
Bob
Bob,

back in the late 80's when I had the first rifle built, I could push Hornady's 265 gr. bullets to a very accurate 2,700 fps. and it would drop a hog like the hammer of Thor!

Never thought about using a 400 gr. cast bullet, but that would have made for one heckuva hog load, especially when the big, mean and nasty ones decided to charge, which was on a daily basis when chasing them through the swamps.

Round Ball

Thanks! I will have to watch them. I have used the 32 Smith and Wesson long as well. Cases bulge a bit , but it functions and shoots great.

In Canada one of the only ways to use a handgun other than at a government approved range is to purchase an antique. Some handguns made before. 1897 qualify .

Another lady was killed by a bear here this week. I think it is the 4th fatality this year from bears. I always have a rifles and handy, but having a little handgun that can make some noise is comforting as well. I work alone in the woods in very remote locations, and I prefer my bear spray to spray lead not condiments.

@machinistbutler
I think they are the same crazy poms that rechambered a No4 SMLE that was converted to 308 and they reamed it out to 300wm. If it wasn't for an undetected crack in a lug it would have kept going.
Bob

They were even using oiled proof loads as well. That crack had been there for a while by the looks of it which means it had already been through several proofings before. I think their goal was to demonstrate just how strong the No. 4 was. I believe they proved it is plenty strong. Good video to watch again.

Yep, Bloke on The Range did that. Mad barstages...
@Scrumbag
I thought it was a very interesting test. If'n the lug didn't have an undetected crack I wonder how long it would have kept going.. Just goes to show tho it didn't blow up and was stronger than they thought.
Bob.

You guys need to find a Webley in .577 Boxer (I have two) or Howdah Pistol in .577 Snider - 16-12 Bore

Even the Webleys in .455 will get it done, I sort of collect them, the Bulldogs are a little too weak but easy to pocket .

Much like crs I lengthened the chamber of a .405 Winchester. Mine was a Ruger #1 and I was able to lengthen the chamber by .28", still leaving .25" of the bullet inside the case. The result were 300 gn TSX at 2550 fps and 400 gn Woodleigh (.411") at 2150 fps. The accuracy with factory length ammunition was unaffected as was the accuracy with 265 gn cast bullets made for the .41 Magnum at 1230 fps.
The 400 gn loads were much more pleasant to shoot than the 300 gn.

Thinking more about the 9.3x74r necked up straight to .416, I bet it would make a low recoil and flat shooting cartridge. Put it in a trim double with 26-28" barrels and it should handle both driven boar and plains game with ease.

Sorry but I have to call BS on some of this stuff about the strength of the No4.

Back in the 1970's the father of a shooting mate had been involved at Lithgow in the testing of No4 actions after conversion to 7.62 NATO. Many rifles passed and went on to serve as full bore target rifles. However quite a significant number failed and became scrap metal. Anyone with experience in shooting 308 Win cartridges in the converted No4s will have found that even though tested, cases still stretched from firing. Bolt thrust is the product of pressure times the area on which it acts ie the internal diameter of the case head. At least the 7.62 NATO is within cooee of the .303 BRIT. Going up in case size to a magnum is just crazy (because bolt thrust varies with the area of the case head means it increases with the square of the radius) You might get away with it for a Youtube video but sooner or later someones going to wear it.

In respect to the No1Mk3*, in Australia a great many were sporterised to a variety of wildcats and semi-official wildcats. In the old days the Victoria Police ballistics section had an entire wall devoted to photos of those rifles after they had blown up, together with photos of what was left of the head of firer.

Sorry but I have to call BS on some of this stuff about the strength of the No4.

Back in the 1970's the father of a shooting mate had been involved at Lithgow in the testing of No4 actions after conversion to 7.62 NATO. Many rifles passed and went on to serve as full bore target rifles. However quite a significant number failed and became scrap metal. Anyone with experience in shooting 308 Win cartridges in the converted No4s will have found that even though tested, cases still stretched from firing. Bolt thrust is the product of pressure times the area on which it acts ie the internal diameter of the case head. At least the 7.62 NATO is within cooee of the .303 BRIT. Going up in case size to a magnum is just crazy (because bolt thrust varies with the area of the case head means it increases with the square of the radius) You might get away with it for a Youtube video but sooner or later someones going to wear it.

In respect to the No1Mk3*, in Australia a great many were sporterised to a variety of wildcats and semi-official wildcats. In the old days the Victoria Police ballistics section had an entire wall devoted to photos of those rifles after they had blown up, together with photos of what was left of the head of firer.
@Hunter4752001
I agree with most of what you are saying especially in regards to bolt thrust.
If it wasn't a safe conversion to 7.62x51 the army or Lithgow would never have done the conversion.
Full bore club shooters never worried about case stretching as they didn't reload so it was never an issue.
There were some idiots around at the time that did try and convert the No1 to different cases that had no right to be in that rifle. The worst I saw was a No1 yes a No1 to 243 win. This person actually used it for a while but I don't think it would have been more than a few shots.
The SMLEs are perfect actions if they are USED WITHIN THERE APPROPRIATE PRESSURE PARAMETERS like any other rifle.

Hotroding a No1 would be akin to doing the same to a 30/40 Krag.
Perfectly fine if you wish to be maimed, killed or want a lesson on how to completely dismantle a firearm without tools.
Bob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 7.51.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 7.51.55 AM.png
    338.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 7.51.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 7.51.57 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 23
I'm currently working on a 45/70 case necked up to .72 caliber to seat a 12 guage shotgun slug in the neck.

Only problem is that it can't be chambered from the breech so, I just drop the loaded cartridge down the barrel instead.

*ahem......

Fun thread going on the past couple years. I think the easiest choices are ones that have actually been done, but live in obscurity in Europe.

7x64 brenneke rimmed = 7x65R. Brenneke then necked those a lot of ways. 8x65r, 9x65r, 9.3x65r.

8x57J was rimmed as the 8x57JR. Those in turn became 9x57R, 9.3x57R, 9.5x57R.

.303 Brit is a great rimmed cartridge. No shortage of single shot and double rifle variants that neck them up to a variety of calibers until straight walled too.

300H&H Flanged has become everything from 375 Flanged, 400 Flanged, and the OP in his own mind pretty much suggested the 458WinMag Flanged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!