Storing rifles at City Lodge Tambo?

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Houlainol, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Houlainol

Houlainol AH Member

Can someone tell me what happens to your rifles after you clear customs at Tambo? We are hunting in eastern cape and will eventually fly to port elizabeth.

We were considering staying at City Lodge 2 nights, using the train, and playing tourist in joberg and pretoria. Do we just lock them in the hotel room? Motels in the usa have offered the motel vault before. Just curious and i couldnt find this in a search

2. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    When we went and stayed in Cape Town to sightsee before going to Port Elizabeth to hunt. The hotel kept them locked up for us.

3. Odinsraven

Odinsraven AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
    Hunted:
    UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
    City Lodge is excellent use the one in PE all the time when I am down ....they take and lock away the guns......so no hassle at all ..

4. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Patron-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I have not used City Lodge at JNB but have used Intercontinantal at JNB and left the case under the bed without any problems. Risk with both hotel lock up and in-room.

5. Dinsdale

Dinsdale AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I did the same thing beginning of October before heading on to Zimbabwe. I left my rifle case in my room when out without any issues.

Enjoyed my time in J'berg, hope you do too.

As to rifles; for SAA they have a small room at where the luggage claim area is and you sign for the case, they take the case to SAPS for permit. Can't comment to other airlines as I've only used SAA for all my trips.

Without needing to make a connection I did my own and took about 35 minutes before heading to hotel. You walk indoors to get to City Lodge or Intercontinental they are connected right to airport terminal. Easy walk and safe.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

6. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Patron-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    One more thing, the train requires a mag card that you will have to purchase, it makes train travel rather expensive. When you buy it, tell the cashier where you want to go and return from and they will load the exact amount on the card. You can reload for each trip - that way, so that at the end of your stay, you have a zero balance on your card. Bring the card home with you, in case you are ever back in Jo'berg.

mikeinarkansas and rafaellinne like this.

7. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCCFSA, Atglen SC, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol, Original PA 1000 yd. BR clubs
    Hunted:
    U.S (PA, DE, NJ, KS, TX., ME, Panama, South Africa
    There are rifle and baggage storage companies in Joburg. They run anywhere from $75 U.S. per bag per day to $25 flat rate per day. They'll pick up your rifle and/or bags at SAPS and be there when you return from your side trip. I used Gracy Travel to set up my storage when I went to Moz for a fishing trip. It was seamless.

Philip Glass likes this.

8. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    Why not just do a meet and greet with @riflepermits.com and have them also take care of your SAPs 520 form. Then just have them take care of your rifles while you are playing the tourist?

Philip Glass likes this.

9. Philip Glass

Philip Glass LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    I am not sure why you would want to tour Johannesburg. I just want to get out in the country and start hunting! Ask Riflepermits.com about storage
    Philip