STOP OF ALL UNMOUNTED SKINS LEAVING SOUTH AFRICA

dreaming

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I received an email last week that due to an outbreak of some disease that SA has stopped the export of non-mounted/finished skins? In otherwise, you can have them mounted there and shipped or you better like skull mounts and rugs. Anyone got any info on this?????

Dreaming,
Who sent you the e-mail?
Was it an outfitter, Ph, dip/pack company, taxidermist in RSA?

My ph sent me a copy of an email from Agriculture, forestry and fisheries from the republic of SA from the director of animal health stating the following a suspect foot and mouth disease in south africa's FMD free zone. Looks very legitimate. I don't know how to post a copy of it on here.

So is the April 6th attachment stating that normal export is back in place?

The Following is from the PHASA website:

Foot and Mouth Disease

We receive queries on a daily basis regarding the protocol to be followed and it seems as if there is a lot of confusion regarding the foot and mouth movement control in South Africa. We received a few queries from members in the dipping and packing industry after our newsletter dated 04 April 2011. After consultation with them and State Veterinary, Dr Rajput, State Veterinarian, informed us as follows on the 5th of April:

“Dip and Pack as understood by the trade was not adequate to inactivate the FMD virus. If the recommendations provided by the OIE code (8.5.40 in the attached document) are followed then the FMD virus is adequately inactivated and the products can be exported. It is still advisable to get a letter of no objection from the importing country to prevent consignments from being returned. Regarding products processed in the infected zone permission must be obtained from the KZN Provincial Veterinary Services."

Extract: OIE Code 8.5.40
Procedures for the inactivation of the FMD virus in skins and trophies from wild animals susceptible to the disease.
For the inactivation of viruses present in skins and trophies from wild anim als susceptible to FMD, one of the following procedures should be used prior to complete taxidermal treatment:

1. boiling in water for an appropriate time so as to ensure that any matter other than bone, horns, hooves, claws, antlers or teeth is removed;
2. gamma irradiation at a dose of at least 20 kiloGray at room temperature (20 degrees C or higher);
3. soaking, with agitation, in a 4 percent (w/v) solution of washing soda (sodium carbonate - Na2CO3) maintained at pH 11.5 or above for at least 48 hours;
4. soaking, with agitation, in a formic acid solution (100 kg salt [NaCl] and 12 kg formic acid per 1,000 litres water) maintained at below pH 3.0 for at least 48 hours; wetting and dressing agents may be added;
5. in the case of raw hides, salting for at least 28 days with sea salt containing 2% washing soda (sodium carbonate - Na2CO3).

She further confirmed to one of our members that, if the processing is as mentioned on page 26 of the Foot and Mouth Movement Control Document (access this link), which is the OIE recommendation for the inactivation of the FMD virus, then the trophies can be exported. She once again mentioned that approval needs to be obtained from the KZN Provincial Veterinary Services, especially if they originate from the infected zone.

Trophy Solutions SA has confirmed that the only way to do “Dip and Pack”, is to do it according to the recommendations as set out in the document.

We will keep you informed. Queries regarding the correct protocol can be referred to Dr Rajput’s office, tel 012-319-7540.

The last word I got was posted in the thread Jerome posted here.

This is indeed true. I have been speaking to my taxidermist on the issue. It seems that this ban on dip and pack will be lifted round about September. So if your trip is still coming up between now and then, then no need to worry, since your hides wont be ready for shipping before September anyways.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!