Stolen Horns - First Post

Eric Liittschwager

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I had my home burglarized and of some of the items stolen, the thieves took the horns off of my Kudu Mount and my Gemsbok. Really, they could have taken just about everything in the place but that was the one that hurt the most.

So, I have these nice shoulder mounts and would like to try to replace the horns. Any ideas or suggestions?

Am I just going back to Africa again?

Thanks, Eric

You can buy Kudu horns on Ebay. I would bet you'll find Gemsbok horns too. I suspect wait a few days you you might find yours there.

There are horns on gunbroker all the time also.
Sorry to hear about this though. Sure be nice to catch someone doing this.

Someone must of thought they were as valuable as Rhino horn.
Sorry to hear.

Sorry to hear you got robbed. As long as you and family were not harmed then you can replace stuff. Sounds like you need to inform your insurance company of the full cost to replace those mounts!
Hunt, plane ride, taxidermy and shipping.

Welcome to AH!

Sorry abut your situation but hopefully you can find some replacements.

Bastards! Hope they get caught!

I recommend contacting your local taxidermist. I bet they can find you some horns and make any necessary repairs to your mounts

I’ve been burglarized in the past and it makes you feel pretty vulnerable. So sorry. Yes I think it would be a good excuse to return to Africa. Just shipping horns home shouldn’t cost much and you get to hunt Africa again.
By the way, welcome to AH Eric!

Welcome to AH, and sorry to hear that.

I would contact my taxidermist.

Thank you all!

I call some of the local TX shops and they did not have a source, which surprised me. So I thought I might try some in SA. Insurance wasn't impressed by the loss and felt they had little value beyond garage sale prices. Figures.

It all happened while we were away and the trophies were in storage while some construction was being done. Cops told me they were going to probably be cut up into marijuana pipes or something like that. I stalked around the internet for a few months, but they never materialized.

Guess, I'll step over the trips page and start looking for a new PH.

Too bad, they were both excellent examples Gold and Silver SCI I believe. I can still smell the bush at night sleeping on the ground following up the spoor for two days to get the KUDU. He was magnificent!

That was a no frills, trip when I 30 years old and I spent every dime I had at the time.

Best to all.

Rotten bastards, probably sold them to buy drugs. Hope you can get a similar set of replacement horns.

Attachments

• Screenshot (241).png
    Screenshot (241).png
    314.8 KB · Views: 131
That sucks..

I feel for your loss. At least you still have the memories... Hope you can make it back to Africa and get a set of horns better than what you had! Good luck.
Bruce

Best your going to get from Typical Homeowners insurance is replacement cost
The cost of buying new ones same size, Ebay, and cost of installation from a taxidermy studio thats all your get even fighting
Hope you get that some wont even do that
Best of luck !

If you had specially insurance you'd get more, or a rider with a declared value.

So sorry this happened to you. Shitty feeling.

Hopefully you can make the best of it and do another hunt, ship horns home and have capes from your first hunt and horns from second. And a story to tell! Best of all is you can go back to Africa:)

I had my lake house burglarized. Had not been there for a few days, but after a long day, got there about midnight or later. I was groggy, opened the garage door before turning the corner. Got pulled in and was swearing as the kids had friends over the weekend before... Cabinet doors were all hanging open.. Then I got out and smelled gas, shit they tipped the lawn mower gas over inside the garage... It is detached so flipped on the yard light and stepped out, boxes of stuff setting on the lawn, another gas can... Darn kids!

Unlocked and walked in, stepped into the bedroom and the door to the deck was open... And had been pried open. So pulled my gun (yes permit to carry), flipped on lights and cleared the house and then called 911.

Stupid thing to do. I was so short on sleep I was not thinking clearly and adrenaline was way up all of a sudden and I wanted to catch the bastards! I often wonder if I would have shot some stupid kids if they had not skedaddled.

We all talk big about it, but not so sure it would have been worth shooting someone. I still carry, but if it happens again I'll try to remember that I carry for defense of life and limb of myself and loved ones. Not items.

But damn it makes you feel violated!

The rest of the story was kind of amusing... Deputies arrive about 45 minutes later. Dispatcher calls, asks me some questions to be clear it is me, tells me to go outside, unarmed and talk to the deputies. Great guys, I explain I carry and they nod approval. Tell me I should not have cleared house myself, they are correct. But then they go into search mode, couple fish houses and bushes, garage, guest room.... Second look through the house.

One is in full tack gear with an AR, he is the one who goes at doors, the other guy is off to the side with his pistol and big flashlight... You can see the disappointment when they open a door and nobody there... Hours and days of boredom to get the chance to do this;)

We come to tall cabinets in the garage. They ask if there are shelves and it does not register with me... So they do the whole tactical thing.... Oh, shelves means nobody is standing in there hiding... They explain the often search closets and first find shaking knees :)

In the end I found nothing missing... I must have startled them when opening the garage door and they dropped everything and ran. Never touched the musky lures or TV's. They had fireworks, gas, and a pellet gun. Not real scholars.

Neighbors house had pry marks on the door but had a stronger lock than mine.... Those deputies patrolled the area for a long time... It was winter in MN so hopefully the robbers were freezing in the woods all night;)

Come back to Africa and get new ones! Wont be the same if you find other ones and you get to hunt again :P Elmer Fudd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!