Stock

I like 200 in general. This gives me a nice cushion for practice shooting.

I have always bought 100 rounds at first when I started loading each caliber and then as I shoot them I clean and resize the brass. Whenever I start seeing a couple getting bad I get another bag of 50 and keep going. I end up with a couple hundred rounds after a couple years that way seems to usually work out.

With loaded ammo I'm likely to have less than 200 rds on hand. I, however; reload for all of my centerfire rifles. So I'm trying to practice the advice given on another forum. When I find what really works in my rifle I try to get enough components that I won't run out until I burn out the barrel. Some rifles that's less than 1200 rds and others it may be 4-5,000. I'm there with primers and brass. Not there on bullets and powder. I have enough to make it through the current shortage and then I'll stock a bit more as I find what I need.
Bruce

I have enough. But what is enough???? Enough for one guy is a box or two for all the calibers that he shoots. Then there are the rest of us.

I was talking to the local fire chief one day and told him that if my home ever caught on fire to stay away from the north side. He just laughed....that is until he got to know me.

With the world the way it is I'm spending my money wisely and I'm investing it.
Gold? Silver? Diamonds?
Hell no! I'm not investing in gold or jewels! I'm investing brass and lead!
Why brass and lead?
Because when the shit hits the fan, I'ma use them to come take your gold and jewels!

Some calibers, a few hundred. Others, several thousand.

How much stock of brass and bullets one should have for each fire arm owned.. hunting fire arms.
@krish
That is an excellent question . My personal approach is “ As much as one is able to get their hands on “ . Especially during these times of ammunition shortages all across American arms shops .

I don't handload any longer. When I do find a load that a particular rifle liked, I will stock up with 100-140 rounds of that particular lot number. I have a lot of different rifles, so that number of rounds will likely last years.

That said, I have a lot of piles of ammo in calibers where for whatever reason I moved on to a different loading for that rifle. Like @JimP notes, a fire would likely leave a significant crater in the ground. :rolleyes:

The AR's are a different story because I shoot them a bit around the place.

The biggest challenge over the last year or so has been .22 ammo. In my constant struggle with squirrels (they have eaten three wiring harnesses to date - check what that repair costs on a Range Rover!) armadillos and the like, I go through a lot of bricks.

In my constant struggle with squirrels (they have eaten three wiring harnesses
This is driving me crazy as well, but on my Sprinter RV as well as girdling my honey locust shade trees limbs! Slowly killing 40+ year old trees! Can’t use even an air rifle in the middle of the city, so I live trap and snare them. 5 this last month. Rabbits the same 6 this last month. Ugh! The live trapped ones I haul 10 miles away into national forest in hopes they populate enough there to hunt.

Ammo, I purchase a box of several different brands with decent hunting bullets to test with each new rifle. If I find a good one, I’ll purchase 1-200 more. I’ll shoot about half and use that as my initial reloading test bed. This is for big game calibers, ie, 243-375. Of each I probably have 200-500 rounds loaded at any one time.
Small game, substantially more. A good day on a big PD town can easily burn up 500 rounds. So I keep plenty loaded or factory around of 22LR, 22WM, 17 HMR to start out, then move to 222 and 223. Finally furthest using 243 or, now hopefully, 6.5 Creedmoor.

Krish, good luck finding what works for you!

Usually have several hundred for each hunting caliber, depending on what it is. Have way more 308 and 28 Nosler.

Target ammo is a different story, during years where supply and price is normal and I dont ration it, I'll shoot 20-30k between 223, 9mm, and 12gauge. I threatened to buy 100-200k 223 in drums just before covid but new businesses and buying my wife and I's dream property, funds were too tight.

In the UK am allowed 200 rounds of .243 200 rounds of 30.06 and 400 rounds of .22. We used to have limits on how much we could buy at anyone time. I tend to buy as much as i can of the same batches when i stock up.

Are you allowed to reload?

Are you allowed to reload?
If the question was for me
Yes we are allowed to Home load in the Uk. It has become more popular in the last few years.

Reactions: WAB
If the question was for me
Yes we are allowed to Home load in the Uk. It has become more popular in the last few years.

Do components count against the number of rounds you can have?

There is now no limit to the number of components one can possess. The limits apply to number of complete rounds (in the UK)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg